Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhughes23 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Goodman furnace is making loud clanking noise when shutting down
    Model #U-36 serial #0009594323

The furnace is making a loud clanking noise when shutting down/cooling down.

Please advise
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Kill the power to the unit and remove the blower access door. Then reach in and see how much up and down/ in and out play the motor shaft has. It is possible that when the motor comes off speed the shaft moves and allows the cage blower to rub the sides of the blower housing.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 09:46 PM

Could be the ductwork poping back in or out after the fan shuts off

Nov 18, 2009, 05:45 AM

hvac1000

I checked the play in the blower motor shaft and there in no play. Pretty solid. The sound seems to be coming from above the flame manifold. It sounds like a flapping metal door in the wind. Is there some sort of vacuum mechanism that would hold the external vent flap closed? There is a black vacuum line, but I am not sure what it does.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 18, 2009, 06:38 AM
    The model number you posted above (U-36) is actually the A/C coil part number. Post the real furnace model number which should be on a tag inside the furnace burner area door. It will contain other information also but the complete model number is what I am looking for. I will see if I can look up your furnace model number and find something that could be causing the noise.

Is this a strait HVAC system with no zone dampers etc?

Nov 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Model GMP100-4
    Serial #0011628732

Thanks for the help!!

Nov 18, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Sorry

There is no damper system. Straight system

Nov 18, 2009, 08:49 PM
    The manual listed here is for service and repair of a few different models and yours is listed. I sugest you save a copy on your computer.
    I have looked over the manual and the exploded diagram of your unit and see nothing that would leed me to believe would make the sound you mentioned.

The only thing I can think of would be a loose metal strap that is used on some units to support the A/C coil but that would be a long shot. It looks like you are going to have to hunt for the problem. Remember you are dealing with a metal box so to speak along with the connected duct work so the noise could be coming from almost anywhere. Joshdta mentioned the suct work and that could also be the problem.

http://www.hvacpartsshop.com/Gmph075-4%20Series.Pdf

Nov 19, 2009, 04:02 AM

Thanks for your help

Nov 19, 2009, 04:20 AM
    I hope you find the noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Goodman furnace is making loud noise when in cool down mode. [ 11 Answers ]

When the furnace fan is running in cool down mode, it sounds as if a flap on the exhaust vent is flapping in the wind

Carrier Unit Making clanking noise when shutting off [ 5 Answers ]

Had a new Carrier Model 58STA/STX installed in December. While doing yard work we heard a loud clanking noise when AC unit shut off. Installer said this was normal. Anyone having same problem and is it normal?

Why is my heat pump noise making a loud noise? [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my heat pump sounded like a lawn mower running. It's coming from the outside and it was loud enough for me to think someone had generator running in my back yard.

My furnace is making a loud noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 94 mobile home and we have an air unit outside and the furnace in the house, we just flip the switch from heat to cool and it has began to make this sound that almost sounds like there is someone taking a shower in the guest bathroom, there is no banging or ratteling just that, I don't...

View more questions Search