Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llogonhere Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Flies all over my house
    For the past 3-4 months, I've got a huge fly problem! I don't know where they came from, or how I got them! They're smaller flies, but they look like regular flies. I've got fly strips hanging from my ceiling in every room! Real attractive! I catch about 25 flies on every strip each time! I can't get rid of them! Help!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Do you live in a private home or an apartment? What state do you live in also?

Jan 9, 2008, 05:01 PM
    I own a ranch-style home in Michigan.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    You have essentially a fly egg problem. Do you keep your home warm or hot? I'm surprised that they are still around now that fall has come and gone. Have you tried bug bombing? I know fly paper is unsightly but if you don't want to bug bomb (I don't like that myself) try opening the windows and doors and cooling down the house so the flies think it's not summer anymore. Keep all food in the refrig. Don't have any standing water around either. You might have brought these home with you from the supermarket and they are actually fruit flies from the way you described them as tiny flies. They somehow keep producing. You should be able to locate their eggs. Look around where you see a lot of the little flies and see if you can't find the nest of eggs. Flies like garbage to breed in. Take all garbage outside immediately every night.

Jan 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
    They're not fruit flies or tiny flies. They're regular flies, just a little smaller than what you'd see outside. I don't have any food around or standing water. I keep a fairly clean house- that's why I'm baffled! I can't bomb because I have a dog and a cat. I don't know where to look for eggs, or what they look like.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Have you kept your home warm since it's been cold outside? I'm in Ohio and I know Michigan has been cold lately that's why I'm baffled also.

Google Image Result for http://www.justbajan.com/health/articles/flyeggs/eggs1.jpg
    This is off Google for images of what house fly eggs look like.

I'm sure you've already tried the litter box...

I once lived in NYC many years ago. The 1860 building I lived in had a swell roach problem. The way I solved the problem in my apartment was to leave all the windows open when it got real cold outside and spent the night at the neighbors elsewhere. When I came home all the roaches had gone...

Maybe you could do something along those lines but you would have to spend the night elsewhere if you kept all the windows open all night on a cold night. On a cold night but not so cold as to have adverse effects such as frozen pipes, but you could leave the cold water running to a fast trickle and be sure sink not clogged.

Take pets with you, of course.
    Tarponman Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2009, 08:05 PM

This might sound ridiculous... but eatery places in FL use this concept. Take a large ziplock, put a few pennies in it, and fill it 3/4 way with water. Then hang it up. They say a housefly has many many eyes, and when they see the pennies in the water, it puts off a multi shimmering effect that literally frightens them away. "Hey, you have nothing to lose..."
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 03:45 AM
    Tarponman has a valid point. Many many places have convex mirrors installed to assist in fly control. Most people assume the mirrors are for traffic safety in aisles, and the large ones serve that purpose as well.

Old folk wisdom says you don't even need the pennies, just the "water bag" will repel them.

Houseflies can also lay eggs in decaying vegetable matter. Check your crawlspace, attic, and gutters for moisture problems that will allow leaves/cardboard/stored papers to decay.

Repelling the adults and finding the breeding site is your best option for control.
    mikemcneill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Sonds like cluster flies! Go to www.millironlogrestoration and click on fly elimination.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 15, 2010, 12:43 PM

Zombie thread warning

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flies around my head [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a question that may seem strange, but my problem has been going on for too long. Is it possible for fruit flies or something that looks like it, to live on my head or hair? I ask this because these flies seem to follow me everywhere for about a 2 years now. If I'm asking this it is...

Flies in the house when ac on [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, For some reason, it seems that every time we turn on the air conditioning, our house becomes infested with flies. I guess it's possible that these flies are coming in when we open the door, but is it possible it's coming through the vents? Thanks.

Drain flies [ 4 Answers ]

I am having the drain fly problem in my house in New Jersey. The local pest company professionals identified these as drain flies. The house is 25 yrs old and on a slab. It is a ranch style with no basement. I have two bathrooms one with a shower and a tub. It has been 2 years since I bought...

Sewer flies [ 6 Answers ]

I am having the sewer/drain fly problem in my house. The house is a ranch on a slab. I have two bathrooms, one with a shower and the other a tub. I had a local plumbing company come in to check this. They found a open drain in the shower and fixed it. (The shower drain pipe was simply...

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!

View more questions Search