Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SherieJo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
    Ceiling Fan Light Bulb Size?
    HELP! I have a ceiling fan... I do not know the maker... I can not find replacement bulbs! The current bulbs are clear and look like just like the A15 in shape - however, the base size is in between a medium/standard and the candelabra size. The only info I can read on the bulb is 120V/60W which is no help. Anybody out there have any idea what these bulbs are called?
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SherieJo
    HELP! I have a ceiling fan...I do not know the maker...I can not find replacement bulbs! The current bulbs are clear and look like just like the A15 in shape - however, the base size is in between a medium/standard and the candelabra size. The only info I can read on the bulb is 120V/60W which is no help. Anybody out there have any idea what these bulbs are called?
    Sometimes this info is right on the fixture itself, if not, take one of the lamps with you and

Go to one of the big box stores, they have just about everything.
    SherieJo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I have been everywhere without success. I can not even find information online. I believe the only 3 bulbs in existence are burnt out in my fan!! I guess I can just change the light kit and save myself some grief... haha!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
    If Menards/Lowes/Home Depot can't find it, try a lighting showroom, electrical supply house, etc!
    patcolamp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 03:29 AM

The base size sounds like an intermediate base. If the fixture is european it has a different base size all together that you will need a special adaptor for. In any case, you will need to find a bulb with intermediate base size. 888-316-2852 and I will try to find some for you. Ask for John
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 05:21 AM
    They are intermediate based lamps. Stupid move on the part of the manufacturer. I have seen quite a few of these lately.
    If the store you bought it in does not have them I think your only choice is online.

a15 intermediate base - Google Search
    sevgibson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
    It is a stupid move, but there is apparently a little more background... This may have been done because most CFL's cannot be used in dimmable fixtures, and these bulbs will actually burn out the dimmable switches. I can't find CFL's in intermediate size, and that all makes sense.

However, you can find adapters to convert from intermediate to candelabra and then from candelabra to medium. This gives you two choices -- candelabra bulbs or medium bulbs.

What I don't know is if I am using such a fan/light fixture, but do not have a dimmer switch, can I still switch to a CFL without any problem?

Cheapest I've found these adapters is from Voss Lighting:

Intermediate to Candelabra:

http://www.vosslighting.com/storefrontB2BWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=9270&it m_index=2

Candelabra to Medium:

http://www.vosslighting.com/storefrontB2BWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=9274&it m_index=0

They have an intermediate to medium, but it is an outrageous price...

Good luck...
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 10:06 PM

If the fan has a remote, you shouldn't use a CFL.
    sevgibson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 06:26 AM
    My fans don't have a remote, but is the converse true -- if you don't have a remote, you can use a CFL?
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2009, 09:12 PM

If there is no dimmer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling fan with a standard 2 bulb light fixture [ 3 Answers ]

After removing the ceiling fan there were two cables of wire coming into the junction box in the ceiling. One cable (I think from the wall switch) has a red, black, white, and bare copper ground wire. The other cable in the junction box has a black, white, and bare copper ground wire. When I...

Light bulb for Hampton Bay ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I bought a Carriage House II Hampton Bay ceiling fan on Friday. One of the bulbs included with the fan doesn't work. The box says 40 watt max. I went back to Home Depot today (Monday) and they don't carry this particular light; they have a 60 watt. It has a candelabra base but the...

Light bulb broke in ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

A light bulb blew in my son's ceiling fan. When my husband went to replace it the bulb shattered and the silver metal surrounding it, flakes off when we try to untwist the bulb. The metal is almost like foil now and when you try and turn the base of the bulb it will not budge. If you try to turn it...

Replacing the night light bulb in a ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a night light feature encased in a mission-style top glass. Anyone know how to replace the bulb w/o taking the whole fan down?

Ceiling fan light bulb [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 4 light ceiling fan in which one light constantly burns out. When a new bulb is replace it burns out repeatedly. What might cause this constant burn out?

View more questions Search