Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cweg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Sewer odor after using washing machine
    We started having problems with sewer odor in our conjoined bathroom/laundry room after using the washing machine. The plumber who came out to help didn't see any problems, but recommended my husband start pulling insulation off the drain pipes to look for a crack. We live in AK and it is 20 below outside... pulling insulation off seems risky. Any suggestions to help localize our problem or should we simply look for a better plumber? Again, the odor is only apparent after using the washing machine.

Thanks,
    Cara
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Hi Cara,

I'd leave the insulation alone unless you have really old drain lines and suspect a crack in one of them. If that were so you would smell it all the time. A better explanation is that the washer pump's so strong it creates a back pressure in the drain line. Try this, next time you wash caulk the hose going into the stand pipe with wet rags. Just jam them around the hose for a watertight connection. If you can wash without the smell get back to me and we'll make it permanent. Regards, Tom

Nov 14, 2006, 05:37 PM
    "caulk the hose going into the stand pipe with wet rags"

Hi Tom,

I really appreciate hearing back from you! Could you give me a hint how to locate the stand pipe so I can look for the hose going into it? When I look at the piping and hosing, it is all greek to me. I could try taking and attaching a picture if need be.

Thanks,
    Cara
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 05:38 AM
    You don't have to post a picture Cara, the standpipe is the upright pipe the washer discharge hose hooks into. Pack it tight so no air escapes and do a load of wash. Let me know, Regards Tom

Nov 19, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Hi Tom,

It didn't work... still getting sewer smell after using washer. Any other guesses?

Thanks,
    Cara
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Cara,

Sniff inside the washer. The smell could be backing up back through the hose.
    If you have blocked off the hose in the standpipe as I've directed then, in effect, you have set up a closed system and unless there is a leak elsewhere the odor should be contained. Regards and let me know, Tom

Nov 21, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Hi Tom,

My husband thought I may have been a little hasty in saying that the rags didn't help. He noticed that the odor didn't return until after the second load of laundry went through, by which time perhaps the rags had come loose. He'd like to know how to make the wet rag fix permanent. I cannot detect any odor in the washing machine itself.

We have really appreciated your help.
    Thanks, Cara
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 21, 2006, 10:21 PM
    I need to know the size and material of your washers standpipe. Regards, Tom

Nov 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Tom,

The standpipe is 2" black plastic.

Matt (Cara's husband)
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Hi Matt,

They look like this, (See image) It's called a 2" slip to compression fitting and ask for a 2 X 1/1/2" gasket to fit it. Although you have a ABS standpipe and this fitting is PVC just purchase a small can of primer and All Purpose Cement to glue it to your stand pipe. I've had one installed on my 52 year old standpipe for years with no backups or problems. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New washing machine causing sewer back up? [ 8 Answers ]

Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs. While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it...

Washing machine odor [ 1 Answers ]

We had a new septic system installed about 2 years ago. We had the tank pumped out in the spring and now we get an odor of sewage from the washing machine. The water does not smell. The odor only comes when my wife uses the washer. Could you please advise what could be causing it. I opened up...

Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes... When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink. 1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink. 2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete...

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

Sewer Odor in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I noticed our toilet had bubbles coming up it for a minute or so... I don't remember if the washing machine was running or not, it seemed strange, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now this week, there is a sewer smell in our bathroom, and I swear I can smell it in the room next...

View more questions Search