Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwertynyc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Raising P-trap in bathroom sink
    Hello,

I have a question regarding my bathroom plumbing. I have a 1.5" pipe coming out of the wall which goes into a p-trap. I bougth a new vanity and would like to raise that ptrap up a bit to be inside of it. Would it be possible to put an Elbow up from the 1.5" pipe, then another elbow going back out and into a p-trap. When I think of it visually it makes sense, but would the water drain okay?

So in summary. Pipe out of wall, elbow pointing up elbow->elbow pointing back out -> P-trap -> popup drain.

Thanks for any assistance here.

Jay
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 09:39 AM

You can not raise the pipe coming out of the wall the way you describe, water will not run up hill. The only way to accomlish what you want is to open the wall to get access to the drain pipe inside. If that pipe runs horizontal you are dead in the water.

Nov 9, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You can not raise the pipe coming out of the wall the way you describe, water will not run up hill. The only way to accomlish what you want is to open the wall to get access to the drain pipe inside. if that pipe runs horizontal you are dead in the water.
    Thanks for the fast response. So the p-trap has to drop below the main pipe? Sounds like I may have to bring the p-trap up through the bottom of the vanity. Where would the water have to run uphill if the water is coming down through the drain, into the ptrap and through to elbows. For some reason it all seems downhill to me, but I'm sure I'm missing the whole thing here.

Nov 9, 2009, 10:04 AM

Is it possible for you to cut some of the rear of the vanity's frame rather than try to change the drain. Out through the floor of the vanity would be an S trap rather than a P trap, illegal in USA unless you were replacing a grand fathered S trap previously installed.

Nov 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
    I have attached a picture setup here if it helps. Im starting to thing I should just get an open Vanity instead of a closed one. If the visual gives you any Ideas please shoot them my way! Thanks again for all of this help.

Jay
    Attached Images

Nov 9, 2009, 10:13 AM

How about a picture of the back side of the vanity. Considering where the shut off valves are you may need to remove nearly all of the back side.

Nov 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Here's the back and front of vanity.
    Attached Images

Nov 9, 2009, 10:37 AM

Hate to be a pain but the pic of the back is too close. Step back so I can see the entire frame please.

Nov 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Yea that's a pretty bad shot. I'm actually at the office now. Here is the site I bought it from with description

SuperiorBath.com: Brussels - Solid Wood Bathroom Vanity, Vanities By Size: 31" to 49"

Basically there are the two bars across the back for mounting to the wall. They initially told me it was open in the back. To me that is not open.

I was going to put some chrome legs on it to avoid mounting it (that wall isn't the strongest either.. prewar building.)

Thank so much for looking into this with me, I was sort of at a dead end myself.

Jay
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 06:48 PM

Is this what you want to do ? See the pic...

That cabinet looks OK to me. Why do you want to raise the trap ? Is the backing right over the drain ? If positive, than simply north the backing board.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 05:08 AM

Milo,

What is an "S" trap?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2009, 05:36 AM
    It would seem the problem of the trap has already been addressed by the manufacture when they supplied a hole in the shelf for the trap raiser to connect to the lavatory tailpiece.(see image). You may have to drill holes in the back for the stubout and water lines but the shelf looks fine. Am I missing something here? Regards, Tom

Nov 10, 2009, 07:18 AM

What Milo showed in his picture is what I was thinking, to get the p-trap inside of the cabinet. I'm so close to sending this puppy back. I hope we can figure this thing out once and for all. I think I can drill a whole in the bottom center of the middle of the cabinet in the back t bring the pipe in, then put that elbow going up from there.

Any other thoughts before I throw the whole vanity out he window? :)

Thanks guys.

Jay
    Austex1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 07:15 AM
    What did you ever end up doing? We just ordered same vanity and are worried about same thing - our pipe from wall is below cabinet. D'oh!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an s trap for bathroom sink? [ 1 Answers ]

What is an s trap?

Bathroom Sink Pipes/P-trap Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I'm admittedly a novice and am very close to calling a plumber, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas... I removed an old vanity and replaced it with one that was about 4" taller. The waste pipe that comes out of the wall sits pretty low, and the tailpipe that came with...

P-trap bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have just installed a new counter top/undermount sink, with new faucet fixtures. My problem is that the exsiting pipes are too high up to the sink to accommodate the new flange and is out to far by about 1 1/2 inches, how do I fix this? Thanks

Bathroom sink p trap [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for someone to tell me how to put together a p-trap with a air breather on it under my bathroom sink.

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

View more questions Search