Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imsinc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Kenmore Elite Dishwasher will not start any cycle, will drain
    I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher with "Sensor ATC" and "Ultra Wash" and "Quietguard Elite" across the front of the appliance face. It has worked perfectly until yesterday. It will not start on any cycle. I CAN get it to drain by hitting the CANCEL button. I have tried to get it to start a FAVORITE CYCLE, nothing happened. I tried to see what was last run by hitting and holding down the START button, nothing... there IS power to the unit, there isn't a blockage to the hosing, as it DOES drain when the CANCEL cycle button is hit (this also functions as a drain cycle). The only atypical thing I did notice was when I hit Normal wash, several buttons lit up at once... I suspect the connections to the key pad sensors may have given way... but I'm not sure and I need help in:

Diagnosing the problem

Fixing it

Asking for the right parts

Mahalo

Catherine :-)
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Try resetting unit by pressing heated wash followed by heated dry about 5 times. Once resetted, check to see if unit will respond properly
    GregMiddleton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I have the same problem with a Kenmore Elite. When I press Start, I get a 2 min cycle that is probably drain, but nothing else.

I do not have a Heated Wash or Dry button.
    My choices are
    Smart Wash
    Anti Bacterial
    Pots/Pans
    Normal
    China/Gentle
    Quick Rinse
    HiTemp Scrub
    Sani Rinse
    Air Dry

That's it??
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Try the same using Hi temp scrub and air dry
    imsinc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 11:31 AM
    If this helps... I tried all answers posted here, and a few from another site... nothing worked... had Sears come out... the tech spent 3 minutes listening to me and glanced at the dishwasher, saw the lights or lack thereof on the panel and announced it would be about $490 to fix it by putting in an entire new panel... no other choice. I declined and paid him $63, got a $65 off coupon from him, and will be buying a new $200 dishwasher on Monday... mine was only 8 years old...

Thanks for all the help...
    welchhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Kenmore Elite Drawer Dishwasher model 465.13329600
    Normal Wash and High Temp Wash buttons stay lit, as does green Lock button.
    The Start/Resume button and the red button on the front of the drawer keep flashing.
    I've tried key combos suggested above, but nothing seems to work.
    Even tried shutting it off at the circuit breaker to reset it, and that didn't work either.
    This sucker was purchased in 2006 or 2007, and hasn't been used very much. What?
    greasyspoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1 View Post
    Try resetting unit by pressing heated wash followed by heated dry about 5 times. Once resetted, check to see if unit will respond properly
    This worked for me too! Thank you so much!
    sando2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Similar problem with my Kenmore dishwasher 665.17349301
    Was dead except when I hit the 4 hour or Cancel, or Start button, then would only seem to attempt to drain for about 5mins then stop.

Tried air dry/high temp wash buttons back and forth, got nothing.
    After experimenting, got washer to start by holding start and normal cycle buttons down for about 10 secs.
    Also had unplugged unit for a few minutes.

Furthermore, found that the plug may not have been grounding all the way. The outlet it plugged in wasn't well screwed down to the box; unsure if this may have caused a ground fault that screwed up the system. Might have happened because that is where we have the recylcing canthat would hit the plug when we pulled can in/out. Unknown.

Now working again, Sears guy was suppose to come Monday for $130, screw that!
    jhand80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 09:07 PM
    What worked for me:

Step one: Hold "normal Wash" and start together for 10 sec.
    Step two: Press "air dry" and "high temp scrub" back and forth until "quick rinse" button turns on solid.
    Step three: Press "normal wash" again followed by start.
    Step Four: Let the crazy machine make some noise and wait for the green 'clean' light comes on.
    Step Five: Prese "normal wash" again and start again.
    Voilą! It worked... who knows why but I'll take it.
    eident Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Holy Cow! Our Kenmore Quietguard Standard stopped responding. The lights worked on the buttons but wouldn't start a cycle. After reading this thread, I walked over to the dishwasher, pressed "Hi temp" then "Heat Dry" over and over until the "Heat Dry" light stopped turning on and off. It took about 5 or 6 times of pressing the buttons back and forth. Then I pressed "Start" and the cycle started. I was going to spend the day either repairing or buying a new dishwasher. Now I don't know what to do with myself. ;-)
    mpappas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
    Thank you! My start button was flashing, it would drain (nothing to drain, tho), but it would not start... I hit quick rinse and heated dry a couple of times, then all lights lit for a moment and it re-set and started fine! Thanks!
    tiruarega21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 05:03 AM
    I do not have transcript in my hand. So, can I send my transcript officially to your postal address on behalf of my home university, Mekelle University, Ethiopia?
    laknarayana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 10:33 AM

My dishwasher also stopped working, any button except drain button doesn't work. I thought of removing all the vessels and start to check the root cause and started removing one by one.

As soon as I removed the vessel touching the door, it started without any issue. I hope this helps for some people. But the kenmore design is very delicate.

Jon_Blank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Thank you... thank you... this did the trick for our washer. Crazy combination of things to do, but it worked. Saved me some $$ with getting a tech guy out or from buying a new washer.
    fixedit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 11:57 PM
    Just used your solution and it worked. We just bought this house, so I didn't 't need the added expense of fixing a dishwasher... Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite Dishwasher Won't Start [ 3 Answers ]

My dishwasher had been working for more than three years. Suddenly, it will not start and the Quick Rinse light is flashing. All control panel buttons became inactive. The Model/Serial is 665.15959000. I am trying to reset the dishwasher or run diagnostic so I can find out which part need to be...

Kenmore Elite Dishwasher Not Start [ 1 Answers ]

Dishwasher does not start. Checked electrical panel, diswasher connection, door switch all OK.

View more questions Search