Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patjohnston Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Towel fluff
    We have just changed the colour of our bathroom to black and white and the fluff off the new black towels is horendous no matter how many times they are washed. An ideas folks ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 03:45 PM

I purchased some black Sonoma bath towels for my son and had no problem with any fluff coming off them from day one and it's been over 3 years now. I wash them like I do my white towels in warm water and then put in the dryer.

I would try washing and drying them at least 3-4 times and see how that helps them out. New towels are the pits until they get "broken in" a bit from washing and drying.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:35 PM

You say you've tried the washing routine.. so that's not an option.
    Perhaps it's just that make of black towel, as some people say they don't have a problem.
    I think I would firstly go out and buy a couple of other black towels.. maybe cheapy ones, just to prove a point, do the washing bit for a few times and see if there is any difference, if there is then great it's obviously the manufacturer of the initial towels, if not then your only option is to change to white towels or even a mixture of black and white.
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Nov 6, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Fluffy towels
    Does anyone have any tips on keeping towels soft and fluffy. Some say use fabric conditioner, others say don't, so sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. When I wash my towels they often dry nice and soft and other times quite hard. There is no set pattern that I can pinpoint. Any advice would be very welcome :)
    Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 08:11 AM

How long have you been washing towels ? The quality of the towels matters mostly. Good quality will always, always come out soft and fluffy with a good fabric conditioner like Downey, then a fabric sheet in the dryer as well. I for one like mine rough. Good exfoliation for skin care.

Tick

Nov 6, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    How long have you been washing towels ? The quality of the towels matters mostly. Good quality will always, always come out soft and fluffy with a good fabric conditioner like Downey, then a fabric sheet in the dryer as well. I for one like mine rough. Good exfoliation for skin care.

tick
    I must have been washing towels for at least 30 years, and agree that quality is a factor, and yes, I admit to having a few cheaper ones as well as good quality ones. However, the cheap ones are sometimes nice and soft, and the good ones sometimes hard. Downey fabric conditioner is not sold where I live, but Lenor, Softlan and various others are, I never buy the cheap ones because I don't like the smell. I tend not to dry them in my tumbler dryer if I can dry them naturally, but even when I have it's still inconsistent. The next time I use the dryer I will use a sheet to see if it works for me, thanks for your help:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 08:59 AM

Hi again neelie, one suggestion. After line drying, give them an air tumble in the dryer and see if that works well with a dryer sheet.

Ms tickle
    braze Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2010, 04:23 AM

I will also recommend you to Google these kind of product's recommendations or just visit some of these towel stores like Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more Lather Cloths, Cheap Gym and Exercise Towels, Exfoliating Body Sponge, Shower Wash Clothes - Ayleet Enterprises

Mar 8, 2010, 01:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
    I must have been washing towels for at least 30 years, and agree that quality is a factor, and yes, I admit to having a few cheaper ones as well as good quality ones. However, the cheap ones are sometimes nice and soft, and the good ones sometimes hard. Downey fabric conditioner is not sold where I live, but Lenor, Softlan and various others are, I never buy the cheap ones because I don't like the smell. I tend not to dry them in my tumbler dryer if I can dry them naturally, but even when I have it's still inconsistent. The next time I use the dryer I will use a sheet to see if it works for me, thanks for your help:)
    Hi Tickle, tried tumbler drying with a sheet and results very successful, thank you. I had to wait until I visited UK to get the sheets, did manage to buy some here but the smell was way too sickly sweet and overpowering for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Ate Towel [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday our German Shepherd ate half of a hand towel before we noticed her doing it. The vet told us to smash her poop to look for towel remnants, but so far nothing. How long should we wait before getting worried? We forgot to ask the vet that. Thanks for your help.

Is it time to throw in the towel. [ 7 Answers ]

I've been dating a guy for 2.5 years. I'm 26 and he's 46-a bit of an age difference but that's never been an issue for us. What HAS been an issue is that he has a child with another woman who lives a couple blocks from me in our town. She works at the same building he does and still desperately...

Heated towel rail [ 1 Answers ]

I have a modern heated towel rail radiator in my bathroom (plumbed into the central heating system). Can somebody tell me why it has TWO hand adjustable valves, one at the inlet point and one at the outlet. Why two?

When should I throw in the towel? [ 18 Answers ]

My wife in I are in year 10 of our marriage. Most components of our marriage are fine except for my wife's intimacy issues. Even before we got married the pattern of difficulty with intimacy developed. I figured it would get better. She has had no desire to approach me in a sexual way in the...

View more questions Search