Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennmari Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Give up parental rights
    My mother has requested that I give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can I get things going? Don't we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. Right?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 17, 2006, 10:18 AM
    I think it would be a good idea for you to tell us more before we can answer your question:

Why? What state do you live in? How old are you?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
    I agree. What reason does she give for you giving up parental rights?

Not enough info to give an accurate answer.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 17, 2006, 12:27 PM
    In most states you can buy a child custody packet at the court house to prepare and to present to the judge. The clerk will explain to you about the packet. BUT where is the father and why do you want to give up your children?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 12:33 PM
    I believe she explained it here.

Jennmari,

I don't know if you know how this site works or not, but it is easier for us to answer if you keep your questions and answers on the same thread.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennmari
    my mother has requested that i give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can i get things going? dont we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. right?

i guess i didnt give enough information.my children are in missouri.i am 38 and by now i should have ny life figured out but i dont. the reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. i gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they know i am there mother but they have grown up with her and they dont know me that well. she can provide for them better then i can. i can't give them the life that they are used to and that would not be fair to them. I LOVE THEM WITH ALL MY HEART! thats why i am willing to do this for them someday i hope they will understand why but if they dont that is my loss. so what do i need to do?
    Frankly, I would advise you NOT to give up your parental rights. I think you have done the right thing in giving guardianship to your mother. I think you are mature enough to realize that you are not parental material and that your children are better off with your mother. Your children are both within 5 years of their majority where it will no longer matter. I just see no real value served in giving up your parental rights. The ONLY possible reason for this os to give piece of mind to your mother that you won't, someday, show up on her door and ask for them back. But the fact that you signed over guardianship, means you can't do that without going to court. I think your signing over guardianship was a brave and selfless act that I expect your children will appreciate more as they grow older. I don't think giving up parental rights will help things.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 08:25 PM
    my mother has requested that i give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can i get things going? dont we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. right?
    When I got my daughter the child's father also was in agreement to have his parental rights terminated. We did have to go to court, and give statements. I was so neverous, but it's a simple thing. The clerk of court gave us the papers that day showing his parental rights were taken away.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
    You didn't say, so I assume she's going to try to adopt them? If so, a court will have to approve the adoption by her and you will have to give your consent. Both of you should be prepared to answer why, how, for what reasons ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

View more questions Search