Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellyd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Where are the spark plugs in an '05 Acura RSX base?
    I recently bought an '05 Acura RSX base model, 5 speed. I opened the hood the other day to inspect spark plug wires and consider changing to new plugs. Damned if I can even *find* them! Seriously, I can't locate anything that remotely looks like a distributer or plug wires or... Spark Plugs. I'm an idiot, I know. Please make a fool out of me by enlightening me on how to find my own spark plugs . Mucho thanks ;-)

Kellyd
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 04:14 PM

There's no distributor on your car--you have a coil-on-plug (COP) distributorless ignition system. The plugs are covered up by a coil:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...dName=Duralast

Disconnect the negative battery cable (after recording any radio codes), remove the electrical connector going to coil, unfasten the 8 mm coil mounting bolt, and gently twist the COP assembly off. The spark plug will be in the tube below.

Only use the exact NGK platinum plugs that came in the car. This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post617111

Here are some tips, to get the most out of your new car:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Sep 9, 2009, 06:56 PM

All I asked for was where to *FIND* the spark plugs and access them. They're not visible at all and I'm new to this car. I did not get this answered. Thanks...

Kelly
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:07 PM

I told you where they are. You are an ingrate. Take it to the dealer.

Sep 9, 2009, 07:31 PM

You mean when you said:
    "There's no distributor on your car--you have a coil-on-plug (COP) distributorless ignition system. The plugs are covered up by a coil:"
    Or
    "Disconnect the negative battery cable (after recording any radio codes), remove the electrical connector going to coil, unfasten the 8 mm coil mounting bolt, and gently twist the COP assembly off. The spark plug will be in the tube below. "??
    WHERE ARE THEY? THEY'RE COVERED UP SOMEHOW. You are a poor communicator.

KD
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2009, 08:01 AM

I just saw this. It made my morning. Thanks for the entertainment.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Oct 30, 2009, 09:10 PM

You have a plastic engine cover that covers up most of your engine. When you remove this cover, you will see 3 ignition coils held down by allen head cap screws. Remove these screws & coils and your plugs are in the tube underneath where your coil previously reside. The rear bank is towards the firewall.

If you have an 2005, your vehicle is not due for a tune up (spark plug) replacement until 90,000 miles.

PS Short of showing you a picture, I thought the other guy did a great job of explaining to you, right down to the size of the bolt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No spark, acura integra 95 non-vtec [ 3 Answers ]

I have been going crazy checking everything possible, when I try to start my car a check engine light comes on. It is code 15 which is ignition output signal. The engine cranks and the fuel pump primes. I checked my coil for resistance and voltage and it passed. I tested the ICM (igniter) for...

Spark plugs [ 3 Answers ]

The other day I took my car in for an oil change. While talking to mechanic about tunning my car, he suggested me to change the spark plugs. My friend who is heavy vehical mechanic told me that I need not to change the spark plugs if there is no problem with starting the car. I drive 1998 Saturn...

How to get at spark plugs. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan, 3.0 engine. How do you get at the back 2 spark plugs... wow?

Where are the spark plugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am borrowing a friends riding lawnmower and another friend of mine says the spark plugs are probably out. Where do I find them so I can see if that's what it is?? It's a Troy Built 19 Hp/ 597 cc Twin Cam Kohler... with a 42" I have no clue where to even start looking. My husband is out of town...

Spark Plugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1986 Oles with a V8 engine and 125,000 plus miles and the spark plugs have never been replace. My question is should I be concerned about them breaking off leaving the threads in the head? If so what can I do to prevent it?

View more questions Search