Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Salary for live-in housekeeper
    We have a live-in housekeeper who helps with cooking, cleaning, and childcare. She used to work for my brother-in-law and his family, and we are paying her the same wage as she received from them. I am wondering though if the wage is adequate. I kind of feel like she should get a raise. She's really great with helping out around here.

Anyway I realize that salaries for housekeepers vary greatly, but basically her salary works out to about $5 above our provincial minimum wage per hour she works, plus she gets free room and board, and has her own bachelor suite with a sitting room, bathroom and kitchen. She doesn't complain at all about the wage, but I still wonder if it is enough. She works really hard.

Anyway I'm interested in any thoughts on this, or if there is a standard for housekeepers, especially in Canada where we live.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
    It sounds like you are paying her enough.

But in the end, if you feel like she deserves more and can afford it, you could always give her a raise.

5 bucks over minimum wage, plus room and board is a decent salary.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Thanks Captain Forest, that's good to know that you think it's a decent wage. I just wasn't sure.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 10:04 PM
    I think when you add the room and board it makes the wage much more reasonable.

if you still feel uncomfortable with the wage, my suggestion is to consider occasional "bonuses". An extra check around the holidays or after a job well done (such as a party or other event that takes extra work) can really do wonders for morale and lets the person know they are valued in a way that stands out from the wage increase.

the only downside is people sometimes come to expect such rewards over time.

also, be reasonable with increases in the cost of living. Its not unreasonable to adjust her wage from time to time as the C.O.L. expenses increase. Most people hope for this at a minimum in their jobs.

my father in law lived in Texas, and they had a maid who legally worked in the US but lived across the border. She was almost like a family member. I cannot tell you the salary they paid her, but I know they used gifts and extra $$ around the holidays to show their appreciation.
    momtwotwins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    We have a live-in housekeeper who helps with cooking, cleaning, and childcare. She used to work for my brother-in-law and his family, and we are paying her the same wage as she received from them. I am wondering though if the wage is adequate. I kind of feel like she should get a raise. She's really great with helping out around here.

Anyways I realize that salaries for housekeepers vary greatly, but basically her salary works out to about $5 above our provincial minimum wage per hour she works, plus she gets free room and board, and has her own bachelor suite with a sitting room, bathroom and kitchen. She doesn't complain at all about the wage, but I still wonder if it is enough. She works really hard.

Anyways I'm interested in any thoughts on this, or if there is a standard for housekeepers, especially in Canada where we live.
    Sounds like you are the nanny asking!
    WanSiuLun Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:37 AM
    That is not bad for caregivers,as I suppose your from Ontario,minimum wage is 8,so she's earning around 13.Plus includes room its OK.
    LLLL Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2009, 06:28 PM
    I am a housekeeper who takes care of a very wealthy family. I have been there a number of years, and I get paid $25 no if, and or butts... but I feel I am worth way more I aske care of a family of 4 + 2 huge dogs. I wish I had, some benefits anything. I am available 24/7 airport runs , Groceries use my car. I really need the help. I am afraid to ask, because they already feel that people take advantage of them. Any suggestions out there? This is their 2nd home in the mountains and they come hoildays and weekends. Thanks L
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Oct 16, 2010, 11:16 AM

According to a survey,The average salary for live in housekeeper jobs is $19,000. Average live in housekeeper salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.This salary was calculated using the average salary for all jobs with the term "live in housekeeper" anywhere in the job listing.
    However, as you can see, in general, the IRS requires payroll tax filings by a householde employer, you, who pays a household employee more than $1700 (for 2009 &2010) cash wages in a calendar year. These nanny payroll taxes are collectively referred to as "nanny taxes", although as a practical matter these employment taxes are applied to all US employees. The employer's nanny payroll tax obligations may include:
    reg. FICA Taxes, OASDI and HI; FUTA Taxes; SDI( in caase of Cali. State) or SUTA Taxes or etc.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 16, 2010, 04:27 PM

This thread is from 2006 and the OP (original poster) has not been back. Please check dates before posting. Old threads do not need to be revived.

I've asked the mods to close this thread.

Also, mna, this is a Q & A site, not a place to advertise. I've asked the mods to remove your post as well as it's against the TOS of this site.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Appropriate pay for live-in housekeeper [ 6 Answers ]

I have a live-in housekeeper and have 3 children who are 16,13 and 10. Her main responsibilities have to deal with housekeeping although she's available frequently if I need her to hang with 1,2 and/or 3 of the kids. What would you think is the appropriate salary for someone of this profession?...

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I doFederal and Social Security Tax calculations for salary employees, using several dependants?

Salary car salesman [ 7 Answers ]

I am thinking of being a salesman and would like to know the salary and what/if you get commission for each car you sell?

Salary Question [ 2 Answers ]

A business enterprise pays weekly salaries of $20,000 every Friday for the five-day week ending on that day. If the fiscal period happens on a Thursday, an adjusting entry would be necessary. This adjusting entry would consist of? A- Debit Salaries Expense, $4000 & Credit Salaries Payable, $4000...

View more questions Search