Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fairytale3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 12:19 PM
    My Ex boyfriend just got married.Why am I sad?
    Hi everyone.. let me give you the background... I was married at a very young age (18 yrs old) the marriage didn't last long (1 yr) only one good thing came out of it.. our daughter. This question has nothing to do with my ex-husband.
    Ok, then I waited another year and began to date. I was involved in a 6 yr relationship. We didn't live together, but we saw each other everyday. He was around my daughter since she was 1.
    We were still very young... I was 20 when we started to date and he was 21. We experienced good and bad things together. We argued a lot over silly things. After 6 yrs.. he broke us off. It hurt, but I moved on.
    I recently got involved in a new relationship. I know I love my boyfriend. He's wonderful to my daughter. My family adores him.
    In July, my ex boyfriend contacted me and I decided to meet him. We kissed. I know it was wrong. Something happened.. I felt as though all those feelings once gone were comning back.
    We kept texting and sending emails here and there. I began to question if what I felt for my current boyfriend was in fact love... I could never forgive myself for keeping this from him. So I decided to be responsible for my actions and told my boyfriend what was happening and what I had done.
    I stopped all communication with my ex boyfriend... but two weeks ago I get an email from one of his friends (through facebook) that He got married this month. I was shocked.. I thought I would finally be able to let go and move on.. instead I found myself crying like someone that died! I cried for an entire day... is that normal? Can someone relate to this at all? Thanks :)
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 12:47 PM

You shouldn't be worrying about your ex boyfriend anymore. Focus on your current relationship and your daughter.

Kissing him was definitely a mistake and I hope that you learnt your lesson.
    krkel Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
    I'm sorry you're hurting. I also just learned that my ex-fiancee got married a couple of weeks ago--I found out on Facebook, too. I think that there is always some feeling of rejection; for me, I keep wondering why he didn't want to marry me and what was it about her, etc. It's normal. You and your ex-bf have a history, so of course you feel sad, because that part of your life has ended. Give yourself some time to cry it out, and you'll soon consider yourself lucky that you aren't the one he married. This man rejected you once and then came back and did it again. It's pretty obvious that's he's a bit self-centered and was most likely already engaged when he contacted you. And I'll bet he didn't tell his fiancée! That certainly shows a lack of character on his part. And don't worry about having kissed him... that, too, is a normal reaction when you get back together with someone you loved (even if it was just for a brief time). People aren't like spigots--we don't just turn our feeling off and on. But I admire that you told your current boyfriend about it. That took a lot of courage and it can only make your relationship stronger, depending on his reaction. I hope this helps!
    notsogreat Posts: 49, Reputation: 24

Oct 23, 2009, 11:23 AM

I definitely know how you feel as I am in your position right now. My Ex-Fiancee that I was with for ten years, proposed to a girl that he has been with short of a year on the day he and I were suppose to get married. I just feel horrible, and I know you must to. But look at it from a positive note, (that is what people tell me to do), you dodged a bullet. Now you are free to find the one that deserves you, and one day you will look back a this as just a lesson. Just wish it did not hurt so much, huh? My thoughts are with you.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 12:50 PM

I have also experienced these feelings recently.

Mine were not related to wanting that relationship back, as I am sure you feel the same. There is a hurt that comes when you know this person was a piece of your heart and life and they moved on to be happy. Marriage is equated to happy because for most it should be. In my experience, it hurt because I felt like a failure.

Let some time pass, this is new, fresh and marks a more permanent end to a part of your old life. Your feelings are completely normal and as krkel said Kudos to you for making the right choices for your current relationship after your mistake.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 23, 2009, 11:25 PM

Of course you feel bad as the reunion turned out to be a lie. At least you had the wisdom to wake up, and break the contact, before damage was really done to your current relationship.

Let it pass, and take this as a lesson learned, and be glad your boyfriend understood, and loved you enough to stay with you. Be grate full you got through that episode in your life and focus on your own future.

Many guys would not be so forgiving, as nothing ruins a relationship faster than a distracted confused partner. Or a cheater.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 03:03 AM
    I'm surprised you are not here telling us of how wonderful your current boyfriend is for staying with you and how lucky you are. That ex has been long gone. Sure we can understand you are sad about him getting married but what you did was wrong to your partner. You should be happy you still have someone and that he didn't leave you. Be happy that your ex didn't get married while you were single. That would feel worse. What is scary is that he nearly ruined your relationship at the same time that he was about to get married. He has just caused more harm and this goes to show why NC with an ex should last forever. It should be NCF. 'No Contact Forever'. Would have saved this drama!
    beeyouteaful19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2009, 03:26 AM
    Well I don't think your wrong for crying.. I think the reason your feeling the way your feeling is because you and your ex broke it off when there were obvious feelings with each other still. And that's why the kiss happened and all those feelings came back. And I think you were more shocked then hurt when you found out he was getting married. I think more because you didn't even know he was dating and then all of a sudden you find out he's getting married. And you probably thought the kiss brought back those old feelings with him as well.
    blooming Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 01:28 PM
    I just wanted to say I can relate. My first love got married in Oct. I'm single w/ no prospects. It hurt, a lot. We were in the same class at school and he tried to get me to come to the last reunion. Class reunions aren't real pleasant for me as I had a childhood traumatic even & they bring up intense emotions. I believe he knows that, but called repeatedly telling me how good it was to hear my voice. I had no interest in attending, really. I care about the people in my class, from a small town because they are a part of my childhood, but relationships change. It's not in my best interest to stay connected. He emailed to tell me he was getting married- I'm not sure why. Although he's emailed me through the years (& I have done it some as well) I congratulated him and worked through a lot of emotions. A lot of my emotions are not all about him- it's also just the loss of connection w/ that part of my life (my dad died in March- before the email). It's scary to put yourself out there about this on the net. I think counseling is a good idea- because sometimes emotions are confusing. Personally for me it hasn't been one thing to deal w/. It's been dealth of parent, job loss, and first love got married. Maybe one I could tackle, but I have yet to experience it being one big event to deal w/. They seem to happen in droves. I think part of the intensity of the emotion is just that I cared about this person, but the connection has ended. There is no more contact (he's blocked from my email now) (I did care about him). We haven't been an item for years, but it still hurt.I think it's a lot to deal with. I am well aware that people may think it is crazy of me, but it isn't always possible to just move on when emotions are involved. The emotions have to be dealt with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm married and in love with my ex-boyfriend [ 69 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I've been married for 5 years and I cheated on my husband after 2 years of marriage with my ex boyfriend. This happened when my husband called me names after having our daughter. I was self conscious and needed attention. I ran into an old friend and not long after we began an...

Married and had a baby with boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

I have been married for 9 years. My husband and I have 2 kids. About 2 years ago we seperated(not legally) and I met someone and got pregnant. During our short 2 year relationship we were on and off due to his drinking and abuse of me and my children. My kids went and lived with their father for...

Married and in love with my married ex-boyfriend [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, My name is Heloisa and I used to think that I was a pretty good person. I always try to be courteous and fair with people. Would like to think I have a good head on my shoulders. Here's what has me stumbling: ever since having my (one-year old) son it seems like all of my husband's...

I am still in love with my ex boyfriend but who is married. [ 12 Answers ]

I have known my ex boyfriend since I was 14 years old and he was my 1st everything. And we just broke up again and he's married. For me its so hard to let him go and I feel in my gut and my heart that he won't let me go, even though he's married, he told me that if I were to get married he would be...

My married boyfriend w/ 2kids [ 2 Answers ]

WHY Don't HE GET A DIVORCE. he says he's done, and moving on w/ me but I have yet to see divorce papers? (also we live together) and I just akwardly enough just met her for the 1st time 2 days ago because he was in the hospital. SHE JUST POPPED UP? Hello?what do I do ?

View more questions Search