Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    navyret1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Squealing toilet when flushed
    I replace the flush valve on both of my toilets due to water leaking from tank
    However since I replace the flush valve both toilets make a squealing moaning sound when the water is refilling before the replacing there was no noise.I have turn the water inlet valet all the way open still same noise please help
    Navy retired 1
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 06:28 PM

You replaced the flush valve but now your fill valve, ballcock, has developed a vibrating seal. Open this link, which type do you have, both are repairable. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attach...-ballcocks.jpg

Oct 23, 2009, 05:52 PM

I have the toilet picture on the right side the one with the big ball at the end of the shaft.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 24, 2009, 06:45 AM
    You have a regular ballcock. Shut the water off under the tank. Remove the three screws on top and pull the float ball and stem assembly up and out. Pry out the washer and reverse it making sure it's seated firmly. Now place a pan over the open ballcock and turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test. Better now? Cheers, Tom

Oct 27, 2009, 02:01 PM

On top of my ballcock there is only 1 screw and that the one holding the stem to the base which the ball float is attach.
    On top it said 181 or 1b1 masters IV guess this came with the eljer toilet
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Then remove the one screw and follow directions. Good luck, Tom

Oct 29, 2009, 02:30 PM

All right tom,
    Remove the 1 screw but the brace connected to the top of the ballcock is ribbet on to the top after screw remove stem still connected only way to remove is break.
    Do you think noise will stop if I replace the ballcock BALL with the newer flush ballcock
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Do you think noise will stop if I replace the ballcock BALL with the newer flush ballcock
    You question's confusing. Atr you asking about thyr float ball or the ballcock? Bacvk to you, Tom

Oct 29, 2009, 07:30 PM

Yes the float ball as you can see I'm new to this fixing around the house it's the one that goes up and down the pole like new year's ball :-)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 07:36 PM

The "ball" is just your float, it isn't causing the noise at all. The vibrating washer is inside the valve, the stem-like thing standing straight up in the tank. If you have trouble repairing it just repoplace it with a Fluidmaster 400A for about $10

Oct 31, 2009, 08:13 PM

Replace the flush valve with fluidmaster 400A like you suggested also replace the flapper put some food coloring now have blue water in bowl.
    I clean where the flapper fit in the hole didn't fill any burrs since I had a new one size fit all flapper I didn't buy a fluidmaster flapper any tricks to stop the flow into the bowl from tank
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2009, 04:17 AM
    it's the one that goes up and down the pole like new year's ball :-)
    Sounds like you have a FluidMaster Ballcock.(see image).
    Shut the watter off to the tank and open up the ballcock by twisting the top counterclockwise, (see image). Remove the washer and place a pan over the open ballcock and turn the water back on for a minute to flush out the supply. Reassemble and give it a flush. Noise better now? Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girgling in toilet and shower when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new septic tank and leach field installed in Jan of 08. In Jan 09 we begin to notice the shower drains girgling when we flushed the toilets and also noticed septic water coming up through the ground on the lower and last run of the leach field. I discovered that my underground gutter...

Squealing Toilet Cistern [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just the last couple of weeks our en-suite toilet cistern has started to squeal after flushing the toilet in the bathroom! This happens even if we have not used the en-suite for hours so its not when it is filling up. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

View more questions Search