Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimgibbons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Calcium deposits in faucets
    For a while now I have been removing and cleaning all the screens in every faucet in my house. They become filled with chunks of what I am guessing is calcium. I even had to replace the internal valve on my upstairs bathroom faucets. Our kitchen is the worst, it needs to be cleaned many times a day. We have a Rheem hot water heater, unsure of the size or age. Is this only from the hot water, or is there somewhere else I should be looking? Also, how do I stop this, it is quite annoying?
    Thanks!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 09:25 PM
    There is a thing that happens with water heaters. The water has a plastic tube in the cold water inlet side of the water heater. In the past some of these tubes have deteriorate and when they break in to very small pieces. They are light weight and float to the top of the water heater. When you open a hot water faucet these tend to flow out into the lines and then stop in the screens of the faucets and water valves. On way to tell if this is plastic instead of calcium is that the plastic dip tube will have a square appearance. If this is the case the way to correct the problem is to replace the dip tube in the water heater and flush the heater. Since the plastic floats it will not drain out the bottom faucet on the heater, so open any hot water faucet that does not have a screen on it, you will probably still have to clean your screens several times until all of the plastic has worked itself out of the pipes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 07:50 AM
    An other way to tell is rub the white particals between thumb and forefinger.
    The plastic will not break up while the mineral will. Good luck. Tom
    jimgibbons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 08:40 PM
    The chunks do break up when I roll them in my fingers, so I don't believe it is the plastic. I will certianly check though, any advise for taking care of it if it is calcium?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgibbons
    The chunks do break up when I roll them in my fingers, so I don't believe it is the plastic. I will certianly check though, any advise for taking care of it if it is calcium?
    Flushing the lines will help but let's go to the source. If you don't flush your water heater on a regular maintenance schedule then minerals will build up in the tank. If they dislodge they will get pulled into the water system and begain to clog up your faucets.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    Wade Parker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Hey Jim
    I have the same issue at my home. Are you on public water, if so have you eliminated your water company? Also you said it is the worse on your second floor, mine also. Does calcium float if so this would explain it traveling to the highest point in our water lines.
    Also my home sit's on top of a high point in my neighbor hood, higher than all my neighbors and they don't seem to have this problem.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium in hot water [ 12 Answers ]

About a month ago we noticed our faucets were getting clogged up with calcium only for the hot water. So we flushed out the water heater and it did not help. The water heater was old and the water was not very hot so we finally replaced the water heater and everything was fine for about a week but...

Calcium and cells [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning of dependent and anti-dependent CA+ (CALCIUM) and can you explain me please how do the cells attach to the flask?

Calcium supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, I've heard a Calcium commercial that states a Calcium supplement must contain phospherus in order for the Calcuim to be beneficial to one's body. According to my MD and, everything else I've ever read regarding this topic, only Vitamin D need be present for proper asorption. I would like...

Low flow from faucets [ 1 Answers ]

Older house in NC. Water pressure and flow are very low from the kitchen sink and also lavatory faucets. However when you are filling washing machine which is at the other end of the house pressure and flow seem almost normal from both Kitchen and lavatory faucets. Problem is more related to...

Calcium needs / new pool HELP ! [ 3 Answers ]

Our pool (IG gunite, 10,500 gallons, Diamondbrite finish) is new and running for about a week and a half. Water chemistry is good after startup and we brought our water to be tested, all is well but calcium hardess is 150. Pool store said we will be needing calcium soon, but not to do it before we...

View more questions Search