Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naderme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Testing mass air flow sensor
    Can anyone tell me how to test air mass flow meter ( sensor)?
    I have 2003 Toyota corolla ( Altis in Philippine) 1.8G and has been running very well since I bought it new. Two days ago while driving to work, the car suddenly stopped, and will not start again. It had to be toed to Toyota and after two days testing, I was told they need to replace the air mass flow sensor, price around $500 plus $100 for labor. The car seems to be OK for now? I was given the dud sensor, but something tells me I had been taken for a ride? That is why I am requesting to know if it is possible to test the dud sensor using an ammeter or voltmeter.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naderme
    Can anyone tell me how to test air mass flow meter ( sensor)?
    I have 2003 Toyota corolla ( Altis in Philippine) 1.8G and has been running very well since I bought it new. Two days ago while driving to work, the car suddenly stopped, and will not start again. It had to be toed to Toyota and after two days testing, I was told they need to replace the air mass flow sensor, price around $500 plus $100 for labor. The car seems to be OK for now? I was given the dud sensor, but something tells me i had been taken for a ride? that is why I am requesting to know if it is possible to test the dud sensor using an ammeter or voltmeter.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Inspect for dust or contaminants on the sensor: see the picture with the arrow.
    Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between terminals THA and E2. Resistance: At -20 °C (-4 °F) 13.6 - 18.4 KOhm At 20 °C (68 °F) 2.21 - 2.69 KOhm At 60 °C (140 °F) 0.49 - 0.67 KOhm

Name:  aa-.gif
Views: 71363
Size:  4.7 KB

2. Inspect the intake air flow meter operation.

1. Connect the intake air flow meter connector.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
    3. Using a voltmeter, connect the positive (+) tester probe to terminal VG, and negative (-) tester probe to terminal E2G.
    4. Blow air into the intake air flow meter, and check that the voltage fluctuates.

Name:  aa---.gif
Views: 85694
Size:  5.9 KB
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 08:40 AM
    The MAF Sensor may only have needed to be sprayed with MAF Sensor Cleaner, such as the CRC product below:

CRC Industries Automotive

It's available at WalMart.

Dec 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Hi guys,
    I am deeply grateful for you both
    CaptainRich,
    I have followed your information, and since in Manila (where I am assigned ) the temp. seldom gets below 30 deg C, I plotted the figures you provided to get an approximate value for the Om expected to be @30 deg, which was 2.3kOm. When I carried the test on the sensor as per your instruction, at a scale of x1k the needle swung to zero, and when used x100 scale it registered 10. I guess that shows Toyota people were right after all
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2007, 12:39 AM
    naderme, I am coming into Manila in a few days (Thur late, 13th) do you know anyone or yourself that would like to make a few bucks driving me to Angeles City / Clark / Fields Ave area?

I would only proof out a bad MAF with an Oscilloscope, because I own one but it's a tough call sometimes without watching its pattern on a scope, of course, if its really really bad then the voltmeter will usually work.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Wow, that's expensive in the Philippines! Good call on getting it fixed, though.

Dec 7, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Hi Duane,
    Thanks for your input. As for your trip to Philippine, unfortunately I can not oblige, cause I will be leaving Philippine for my X-mass vacation, this coming Sunday.

Kitch428,
    That is not the only thing expensive in Philippine. Except for rice everything else is !
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2007, 11:22 PM
    Thanks for your reply and have a good vacation, I know I am.
    viperjet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2009, 05:38 PM

I need to do a resistance check on my Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor on my 2006 Corolla ALTIS. But seem like it the IAT is located in the MAF which consist of a few wires.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5429/22102009305.jpg
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4710/22102009307.jpg
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5889/22102009309.jpg

Anyone knows which 2 color wires belong to the IAT ?

Please advice. Thanks..
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Name:  IAT.bmp
Views: 26784
Size:  233.2 KB

Oct 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

http://dutch.northwestmr2.com/Toyota...Control/02.pdf

PIN 1 (+B)
    PIN 2 ( E2G)
    PIN 3 (VG)
    PIN 4 (THA)
    PIN 5 (E2)

To measure the Signal of the IAT sensor... should it be PIN 2 & 3 ? Instead of 4 & 5 ?

Please advice ?

Oct 22, 2009, 07:15 PM

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8376/mafk.jpg
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    Name:  IAT.bmp
Views: 26784
Size:  233.2 KB
    According to what I sent it would be pins 4(THA)&5(E2). Brown is ground, yellow/black is 5V

Oct 23, 2009, 11:56 PM

I bought this Chip and it asked me to connect across the IAT..

#1 PERFORMANCE CHIP TOYOTA COROLLA 1985-2009 2008:eBay Motors (item 390102430174 end time Oct-12-09 06:10:53 PDT)

Can I connect it parallel with pins 4(THA)&5(E2)?
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2009, 06:03 AM

Yes
    marinetech1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 03:41 PM
    How to test a mass flow sensor on a 2001 frontier 4cyl
    manfrednissley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 06:37 AM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    Can you tell me if this maf sensor is the same used in the 2002 Corolla?
    bobbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Cleaning the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor usually works. There are some pictures in this link that show you where to spray the cleaner. Most Toyota cars use the same sensor as shown at the bottom of the page in this link. It's most important that you clean the two small, VERY fragile wires that are up inside of it.
    bobbill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Most toyota models use the same Mass Air Flow (MAF)sensor, and it is usually VERY easy to clean and/or replace. I own a toyota echo, and it takes 2 minutes with nothing but a screwdriver for me to get it out. It is usually located right after the air filter. Once you have it out you just need to spray these two VERY fragile wires that are up inside of the sensor with the proper cleaner. You can purchase MAF cleaner at Autozone, someone told me you can also get it at Wal-Mart. I've heard of people using rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. If you use a Q-tip be EXTREMELY careful to not break the wires.
    Here are some pictures of where to spray the cleaner:
    http://www.top4runners.com/ja/cleanmaf.html
    iustin2009 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
    @CaptainRich
    Hello!
    1) can you tell me if the MAF sensor for avensis 2.2 d4d should be in the same parameters? ( I can't check the voltages due to the safety glue around the wires but the resistance is the same at +20C)

2) the car is starting now in the "damage mode" (check engine light on, vsc + trc off, no power from turbo) and the engine will not start without depressing the accelerator (gas pedal).My brother was at 3 different dealers and they all come out with a different problem: the EGR valve, then the SCV valve, and 3rd - the throttle body need to be replaced (1500.00$); can you, please, give me an advise about it? Or you can recommend me a good tester device to help me fixig the problem?

Thank you in advance!

PS: please excuse my bad english!

I uploaded a video with the engine running.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements? [ 6 Answers ]

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements?:)

Air flow meter to map sensor conversion [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to convert a air flow meter to map sensor in a nissan skyline r32 rb20? [email protected] if you do

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

View more questions Search