Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrowe68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Gas Stove Top Burner doesn't light
    I have a GE gas stove top. One burner refuses to light (or takes forever). When I turn the knob/dial to the 'light' setting, I hear the clicking noise. I believe that is the ignitor arching/lighting. But the gas does not come through. I have to turn the dial back and forth from one end of the dial to the other. Eventually, the burner will light, but it might take several minutes.

I have 3 other burners, that light up immediately. Any, clues?

Thanks.
    rrowe68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rrowe68
    I have a GE gas stove top. One burner refuses to light (or takes forever). When I turn the knob/dial to the 'light' setting, I hear the clicking noise. I believe that is the ignitor arching/lighting. But the gas does not come thru. I have to turn the dial back and forth from one end of the dial to the other. Eventually, the burner will light, but it might take several minutes.

I have 3 other burners, that light up immediately. Any, clues?

Thanks.
    Any Suggestions?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 14, 2006, 06:58 PM
    So Im assuming you do not have a standing pilot on your stove. You said there is an ignitor by the burner.

If gas is present, a spark will light it, so if there is no flame, then there is no gas. This could be the actuall gas valve stopped up, or could be a clogged orfice.

I would first start with inspecting the orfice. If its corroded up, replace it then try. Remember, when removing parts to access the orfice, inspect each item removed. If any of it is dirty or corroded over, clean or replace as nessesary. If that has no luck, then Id try replacing the gas valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

My gas stove is falling apart. I found basically the same gas oven used, but a few years newer than my current stove. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be all right for me to hook up the gas line. Is it as simple as turning off the gas line, unscrewing the hose and...

GE stove top igniter won't stop clicking. [ 1 Answers ]

GE stove top igniter won't stop clicking. All knobs are turned to off. Can I fixx it?

Problem with GE Freestanding Gas Stove [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems with my oven. When it is in bake mode it turns on and heats up for a minute than it shuts off. The burner appears to be slightly still on but it will not heat up to temperature. The broiler works and will burn to temperature. Any ideas?

Gas line rough in placement for stove [ 2 Answers ]

This may not be a plumbing questrion so feel free to re-direct me in necessary. I am in the early stages of a kitchen remodel and need to plan the placement of the gas range gas line. I cannot find any rough in info to where this should be. Is there a standard, guide or rule of thumb for where...

View more questions Search