Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Why are pears on my trees bitter and not ripening?
    It has been several frosts already and my pears have never ripened on trees. Even those that windfall are not seeming ripe as I remember pears from my apst yellow ones on ground with bees going after the sweet flesh. Not so here. Bartlett and d'Anjou and possibly seckel pears. The bartlett have some rusty color to bottoms. Some of them are slightly yellow, most are greenish yellow, but without exception the outside skin is bitter (even the pears that taste a bit sweet to the inside flesh)--the taste is like tannic acid from an acorn. This is an older orchard we inherited upon buying a property. Trees are well established organic (did no spraying, saw no particular pests but fruit is all quite small, trees probably need some pruning. Our climate is quite dry but not dessert) Adjacent are apples and plums growing/tasting quite nicely. Is there something I didn't do? Is a soil test going to help? Thanks much.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 12, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Hi! wallabee4

Pears are one fruit that will not ripen while on the tree. They need to be picked when they turn from a grass green to lite green color.

Because pears ripen from the inside out, ripe fruit will give gently to gentle pressure near the stem.
    Waiting until pears are soft around the middle may indicate over ripeness.
    Your remembrance of ripe pears on the ground is throwing you off, because they were there several days ripening before you got to them.

Store unripe pears in a warm place outside of the refrigerator in a fruit bowl or in a paper bag. Check daily for ripeness.

Store ripe pears in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Pears are an ethylene producer. Avoid long term storage next to ethylene sensitive produce.

Pears produce odors which may be absorbed by cabbage, carrots, celery, onions and potatoes. Pears may also absorb odors produced by onions and potatoes. Take care not to store pears next to these items.

Never store ripe or unripe pears in plastic.

I would do the pruning, keep an eye on the irrigation, try to maintain an every 5day schedule in lieu of rain.

As for the soil test, there are ph factors to be aware of try your local extension for testing.

For further guidance on planting to harvest:
    uga.edu Pears

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Victoria bitter [ 17 Answers ]

I am searching for anywhere in the US that you can find Victoria Bitter. My husband has recently moved from Australia and is missing that almost as much as hs family! I heard rumors of a pub in New York. Anyone have any idea of somewhere in the west coast?

Bitter Ex-wife. [ 2 Answers ]

What are some of the ways a dad can seek and win custody of his children ? My husband has two children and his ex-wife will agree on shared time with the children then when her life is going bad she takes it out on my husband by refusing to let him see their kids.She blames anything that goes wrong...

Bitter Ex Wife 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your answers to my question.. I guess I should have added that my husband does have a court order saying that it is shared joint legal and physical custody of the children. He and his ex wife have been divorced over three years now , and every year so far she has went to a lawyer and...

Ripening green tomatoes inside [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I,have a bunch of green tomatoes that I,want to ripen,someone mentioned wrapping them in newspaper and setting them on a ledge in the sun,any other ideas would be appreciated! Thanks, Gord

A bitter old man [ 2 Answers ]

My father... is a bitter man. I don't know if I can love him... and I can't tell if I hate him... but what kills me is what I do know and I know that I can't think of him as my father because he has taken away his own privaledge of saying he is so. He blames my mother for moving to BC, he blames...

View more questions Search