Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcp6649 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 06:23 PM
    How large of a heat strip do I need?
    Is there a "standard" method for calculating the size of the heating strip required? I have a heat/loss/gain report if that helps. It's a 2 ton unit and currently has a 5Kw strip installed. The HVAC guy uses the following method:

1 ton = 3Kw
    2 ton = 5Kw
    3 ton = 7Kw
    4 ton = 10Kw etc etc

I am beginning to wonder if the inspector will take issue if he feels there's inadequate aux available. There are Pros/Cons with everything. What's the Con if the heat strip that is installed is inadequate? I am located in Middle Georgia if geography is a factor. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 02:44 AM
    Not sure what the purpose of this heater strip is.

Is this the emergency or auxiliary heat?

I will copy this over at HVAC and see if those resident experts can help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 04:29 AM
    There is no such thing as a standard size for strip heat. Strip heat is used for two reasons. One is the backup heat source for a heat pump install and the other is the main source of heat for the house when no heat pump is available.

The exact size of the required strip heat will depend upon what the manual J calculations call for since that is the only true way to calculate it. ALL homes should have a manual J done since the size of the heat pump/air conditioner and heat depends upon that calculation. Any other way of calculating is guess work and that can cause major problems down the road.

If the wrong size strip heater is installed two major problems can happen. First the strip heater will have to be replaced with the proper sized one and the second problem is more severe in that the electrical circuits and circuit breakers in the house that power the heater will have to be changed (usually to the next size up). This is where the extra wire and breaker cost along with the labor can get expensive.

Building inspectors look at different items in different jurisdictions but usually in the code a new home has to be able to maintain a prescribed temperature down to a prescribed outside temp. These vary also depending upon the exact area in which you live.

Sorry I could not give you an exact answer but I believe in accuracy especially since it is your hard earned money being spent and the least you deserve is the comfort you are paying for.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Oct 8, 2009, 09:52 AM

Was a Manual J done to produce the heat loss you have on your report. If so, what is that number?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How large of a heat strip do I need? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a "standard" method for calculating the size of the heating strip required? I have a heat/loss/gain report if that helps. It's a 2 ton unit and currently has a 5Kw strip installed. The HVAC guy uses the following method: 1 ton = 3Kw 2 ton = 5Kw 3 ton = 7Kw 4 ton = 10Kw etc etc I...

Optimum Point for Strip Heat vs. Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump has electric heat strips for emergency and auxiliary heat. My thermostat is designed to call for strip heat if there is more than a 2 degree difference between the set point and the ambient temperature in the room. It's clear that the efficiency of a heat pump decreases as the...

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump

Heat pump heat strip replacement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Heil heat pump package system in N. FL. Last winter it developed a condition called 'dirty sock' syndrome. We had a professional clean the unit and coat the coil with a white teflon-type paint made for this condition. The remainder of the year the unit did not smell and all summer it was...

HP without backup heat strip. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been considering a new HP as replacement for old forced air split gas/electric system. Problem is, I only have 50 amps available (going to old compressor) without upgrading main electric box. Average temperature in winter: Dec 60/35, Jan 60/34, Feb 65/38. House is 1200 sq ft with...

View more questions Search