Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
    How Does God Calls Himself? e.g "i am the bread of life"
    Hello my name is kate, and I'm doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one I could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help me with this, give me an example with "I am"
    THX!! :confused:
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Nov 6, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katek
    Hello my name is kate, and im doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one i could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help me with this, give me an example with "I am"
    THX!!!:confused:

The only time that the expressiuon "I am" is used to convey the meaning of God's name is in the following scripture:

Exodus 3:14 (King James Version)

14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Elsewhere, the phrase "I am" -not capitalized unless the translator capitalizes it- is used as normal part of language. The conclusion that Jesus' ussage implies a claim to Godship is an unwarranted assumption.

Here are examples of how others used the very same phrase.

Sarah

Genesis 18:12
    Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

Abraham

Genesis 22:1
    And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

Issac

Genesis 27:24
    And he said, Art thou my very son Esau? And he said, I am.

King Solomon

Song of Solomon 7:10
    I am my beloved's, and his desire is toward me.

Apostle Paul

Galatians 4:12
    Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all.

Romans 11:13
    For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office

An angel

Revelation 19:10
    And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
    Ron64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Katek In response to your question:

Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall I say unto them?
    Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

From these scriptures I understand that one of God's
    Names is I AM.

John 18:3 Then receiving a cohort and under-officers from among the chief priests and the Pharisees, Judas came there with torches and lamps and weapons.
    John 18:4 Then knowing all the things coming upon Him, going forth, Jesus said to them, Whom do you seek?
    John 18:5 They answered Him, Jesus the Nazarene. Jesus said to them, I AM! And Judas, the one betraying Him, also stood with them.
    John 18:6 Then when He said to them, I AM, they departed into the rear and fell to the ground.
    John 18:7 Then again He asked, Whom do you seek? And they said, Jesus the Nazarene.
    John 18:8 Jesus answered, I told you that I AM; then if you seek Me, allow these to depart,

If I understand these passages correctly Jesus is revealing the He is the I AM which brings me to the conclusion that Jesus was the God of the Old Testament.
    I hope my answer helps you.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 12, 2006, 09:06 AM
    The Bread of Life – John 6

The people who had been miraculously fed followed Jesus. But Jesus knew that they followed him because he had fed them, and said:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. […] Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger [...] […] Verily, verily, I say unto you [...] I am that bread of life. […] he that eateth of this bread shall live forever.

'The Bread of Life,' is a description, and not a name. He means by it that those who become his true disciples will live forever, and that those who remained attached to the Law of Moses and the Old Covenant will not be saved. Salvation comes through the New Covenant of the gospel of Christ, with Jesus Christ as the central figure, the one who is sent by the Father to redeem the fallen.

Jehovah [yhvh] is the Anglicized rendering of the Hebrew, Yahveh or Jahveh, signifying the Self-existent One, or The Eternal. This name is generally rendered in our English version of the Old Testament as LORD, printed in capitals. The Hebrew, Ehyeh, signifying I Am [He who is] is related in meaning and through derivation with the term Yahveh or Jehovah, and therein lies the significance of this name by which the Lord Jehovah, who is the pre-existent Jesus, revealed Himself to Moses when the latter received the commission to go into Egypt and deliver the children of Israel from bondage:

"Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? What shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." In the following verse the Lord declares Himself to be "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."

While Moses was in Egypt, the Lord further revealed Himself, saying "I am the LORD.: and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by thy name of God Almighty [El Shaddai], but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them." The central fact connoted by this name, I Am, or Jehovah, the two having essentially the same meaning, is that of existence or duration that shall have no end, and which, judged by all human standards of reckoning, could have had no beginning; the name is related to such other titles as Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. The original of the terms Lord and God as they appear in the Old Testament, was either Yahveh [yhvh] or Adonai [and], and the divine Being designated by these sacred names was, as shown by the scriptures cited, Jesus the Christ. John, evangelist and apostle, positively identifies Jesus Christ with Adonai, or the Lord who spoke through the voice of Isaiah, and with Jehovah who spoke through Zechariah.

The name Elohim is of frequent occurrence in the Hebrew texts of the Old Testament, though it is not found in our English versions. The word is a Hebrew plural masculine noun. It is expressive of supreme or absolute exaltation and power. Elohim is the name-title of God the Eternal Father, whose firstborn Son in the spirit is Jehovah the Only Begotten in the flesh, Jesus Christ.

Other things Jesus was called by himself and by others that identify particular aspects of his person and mission as Savior and Redeemer include:
    • LIVING WATER [John 4:10]
    • THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD [John 8:12]
    • JESUS. The Hebrew yeshua' or yehoshua', meaning "Jehovah saves," is transliterated into English as the name Joshua. In Greek, it became Iesous, thence Iesus in Latin and Jesus in English. Since Jesus was actually Jehovah performing saving work, his name yeshua', "Jehovah saves," coincides precisely.
    • MESSIAH from the Hebrew meshiach, "anointed one." Applied to Jesus, the title retains its full sense of "anointed" prophet, priest, and king.
    • CHRIST. Greek for Messiah (anointed one) is Christos, Christ in English. Thus, "Jesus Christ" joins a name and a title, and means Jesus the Messiah.
    • SON OF GOD. Jesus was not the son of any mortal man. His biological father was God, the Father. As Son of God, Jesus represents the Father and acts as his agent in all things.
    • SON OF MAN. From his mother Jesus inherited mortality. Hebrew ben 'adam denotes "a son of Adam," that is, any mortal man (Dan. 8:17). Thus, as a son of Adam, Jesus represents Adam's children, acting as their agent with the Father. As both Son of God and Son of Man, Jesus stands between God and man as mediator. With the definite article, the Son of Man described an expected apocalyptic heavenly figure, identified with the Messiah (Dan. 7:13). Jesus is the son of the archetypal Man, the perfect heavenly Man, the Eternal Father. In this sense, "Son of Man" equals "Son of God" and conveys an intentional ambiguity, reflecting both Jesus' mortal and immortal parentage.
    • SON OF DAVID. Jews expected the Messiah to belong to David's lineage. Prophets had foretold that a son (descendant) of David would restore Israel's kingdom to its former zenith (see Isa. 11:1-9; Jer. 23:5-6). According to Matthew 1:1-16, Jesus was descended from David. "Son of David" refers particularly to Jesus' messiahship in its political aspect as Davidic king.
    • JEHOVAH. Jesus was Jehovah himself, God of Israel, not son of Jehovah (Isa. 41:14; 43:11,14. In medieval Hebrew texts, the vowels from 'adonai were added to the consonants yhwh to remind Jewish readers to say "'adonai." English translators adopted this convention, creating the artificial form "Jehovah."
    • EL. 'El is not a name, but is the common noun for God in Hebrew (plural, 'elohim). In the Old Testament, El and its cognates, such as Elohim and El Shaddai (God Almighty), usually refer to the premortal Jesus, the God ('el) of the Old Testament.
    • EMMANUEL. Since Jesus was the ancient El, the angel (Matt. 1:23) correctly called his name Emmanuel (Hebrew, 'immanu'el), meaning El (god) with us.
    • THE LORD. Since Jews uttered 'adonai (Lord) instead of the divine name, the Greek Bible (c. 200 B.C.) usually translated yhwh as ho kurios, "the Lord." Thus, "the Lord," whether 'adonai or kurios, equalled "Jehovah." Not surprisingly, "the Lord" is Jesus' most common title in the New Testament. The confession of the early Church, "Jesus is Lord" could only mean Jesus is Jehovah.
    • I AM. In Exodus 3:14, Jehovah (Jesus Christ) identified himself as "I AM," perhaps affirming Jesus as the creator who exists independently of his creation. Scholars see connections between this Old Testament title and Jesus' many "I Am" statements in the New Testament, for example, "I Am the good Shepherd" (John 10:11, 14), or "Before Abraham was I Am" (John 8:58).
    • FATHER. In at least three senses Jesus is Father: (1) he is the creator of the physical universe; (2) he is the Father's agent in everything pertaining to this creation and its inhabitants; and (3) he is Father of all eternal, resurrected human beings. Jesus Christ begets spiritually and gives eternal life to one "born again," who thus becomes Christ's son or daughter.
    • SECOND COMFORTER. The Holy Ghost, the Comforter, comforts the faithful with the assurance of inheriting the kingdom of God. However, through faith in Christ one can receive a second comforter, an appearance of Jesus himself, who assures the individual of his or her place in the kingdom. After a witness from the Spirit, the Second Comforter is a personal witness from the risen Lord (John 14:16-23).
    • SAVIOR. The most sublime of titles, Savior underscores Jesus' role in the divine plan. Both Old and New Testaments specify that the Savior is God (Isa. 45:21-23; Luke 1:47; etc.). Through agony and death suffered for others, Jesus is able to erase imperfections and bestow worthiness, on condition of repentance. Since imperfect beings cannot reside in God's presence Jesus saves believers from their imperfection, their sins, and their worst selves.
    • THE WORD. As words carry the thoughts of one mind to the minds of others, so Jesus communicates the mind and will of the Father to mortals. Moreover, as words are agents for expression, so from the beginning (John 1:1-3) Jesus is the agent for expressing and accomplishing the Father's will. Christ is both the messenger and the message.
    • ALPHA AND OMEGA. Equivalent to the Old Testament term "the first and the last" (e.g., Isa. 44:6), alpha and omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. Just as no letters stand before alpha or after omega, so there are no others this creation than that represented in Jesus Christ. He encompasses all, from beginning to end; he extends beyond all extremities and categories.
    • ONLY BEGOTTEN. Jesus Christ is the only being begotten by the Father in mortality. His full title is "the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh."
    • LAMB OF GOD. In the first Passover, a slain lamb's blood was daubed on Israelites' houses to avert the destroyer. In the New Testament, Jesus is understood as a Passover lamb supplied by God, and Passover stands as a type for the death of Jesus, the Lamb of God, whose blood, through baptism and the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, protects Christians from the destroyer, Satan. Animal sacrifices in ancient times were similitudes of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father.

M:)RGANITE
    Scholar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
    The seven metaphorical "I am" statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John are as follows:

"I am the bread of life." John 6:35, 41, 48-51
    "I am the light of the world." John 8:12, 9:5
    "I am the door of the sheep." John 10:7, 9
    "I am the good shepherd." John 10:11, 14
    "I am the resurrection, and the life." John 11:25
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life." John 14:6
    "I am the true vine." John 15:1, 5
    suster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katek
    Hello my name is kate, and im doing a project on Religion. My teacher asked me to write how God calls himself, she said to give all the "I am" an example with this is "I am the bread of life " John 6:35. Unfortunately this is the only one i could find in the bible. Does anyone is kind, and help me with this, give me an example with "I am"
    THX!!!:confused:
    God refers to Himself as I Am - how many times in the whole Bible?
    Scholar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by suster
    God refers to Himself as I Am - how many times in the whole Bible?
    A large number of times. Here are a couple of the best web sites on the subject:
    Commentary on The "I AM" sayings of Jesus in the Fourth Gospel by Robert Nguyen Cramer
    Jesus Echoes the "I AM" statements of Jehovah in the Gospel of John!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Guitar Tab to "More To Life" [ 1 Answers ]

Can You help my find Guitar Tab to the song "More To Life" by Stacie Orrico?

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Does anyone watch "One Life to Live"?! [ 3 Answers ]

Is anyone out there an avid watcher of the daytime soap "One Life to Live"? I can't catch it during the day so I try to watch it the same night on the soap network but recently I've missed too many episodes and am SO lost. What happened to John? Is he really dead or just laying in a coma somewhere...

View more questions Search