Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda_souders Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 09:07 PM
    How to remove dental cement from teeth
    I've had braces for 3 yrs. My dentist went out of practice a yr ago and since my parents still owed him 1,000 he wouldn't transfer me to another dentist or take my braces off. Last night I got tired of it and took them off myself. They were messin my gums up bad. Is there any way I can take the glue off at home?
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2009, 10:32 PM

Not if you care about your teeth... go get a cleaning from a hygienist, it's not that expensive, and she/he is qualified to scale that stuff off and polish up your chompers
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 11:00 PM

Hi, amanda_souders!

What would be the problem with you simply going to another dentist on your own without your records being transferred?

Thanks!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:18 AM

As the others have mentioned, get in to see another dentist and hygienist. This way you can be sure that you didn't already do damage to your teeth while removing the braces at home. It's a good idea to start with a professional cleaning anyway because many kids aren't super-careful about their dental routine while wearing braces.

As Amir said, it shouldn't be too expensive and you'll avoid damaging your enamel.

WOW- removed your own braces... :eek:
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 11:24 AM

I'm curious... how did you get them off yourself??
    lionhead Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    I'm curious...how did you get them off yourself??????
    I was just thinking the same thing, did you damage anything when taking them off?
    chailen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 08:39 PM
    I also want to remove my brackets.. would it be OK if I go another dentist and ask to take it off?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 04:44 AM
    chailen,

If you want your brackets removed, ask your orthodontist to remove them. If your ortho is not complete and you still want them removed he/she may have you sign a release saying it was YOUR request to have them removed. You will need retainers made to keep your teeth in the position they are now and the cost of the retainers should have been included in the fee your orthodontist has charged.

With that being said, yes, another dentist can remove your brackets if he has the right instrument. You will be charged for it and retainers.

If you don't want your teeth to move back to the position they were before your ortho you definitely want to have retainers.
    ivette777 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
    I just took my braces off lastnite, my mom made me get them practically for no reason and I got sick of it. Its fully paid and all but I couldn't take it, there is a bit of glue left on my teeth but Im sure it'll come off with the way I care for my teeth. Your not the only one Amanda lol
    Carmen25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 09:20 PM
    I can't sustain the fee anymore, and my teeth are already in passable alignment. So I decided to take my braces off by myself. First, I watched YouTube videos of how dentists remove it. I also read an eHow article on removing the wire. I used hair tweezers to pull the wire slowly from end to end. Then I used pedicure pliers to gently twist the braces, ungluing each of them without pain. Of course, there is cement left on my teeth, but another eHow article pointed out that a mixture of baking soda and drops of hydrogen pexoride can be used in brushing teeth to soften the cement, and completely remove it in time.

I'm sharing this to people looking for options. Just make sure that the tweezers and pedicure pliers you use are rust-free, and sterilized clean with hot water. You may also pre-brush your teeth with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mixture before the process, so the cement is softer. Please do your own research, and do it with care.
    tiffspliff Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Why is anyone surprised she took them off herself? People do that ALL the time. And its super easy. It doesn't hurt or anything. And you can't damage your teeth, the dentists take it off the SAME WAY, just with a different tool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Remove old tile from cement basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

Having some trouble removing old tile from my basement floor. Is there any thing that I can do to lossen the tile up first. I have tried to scrap it and chip it but it still won't come up in some spots of the floor. HELP.

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

View more questions Search