Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheralex Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Bank levy
    :confused: Today I received papers on a bank levy to my account seeing how I only had a few dollars in there they took it. Will they keep coming after everything that I deposit until the debt is cleared? Because my check is direct deposited what do I need to do please someone help me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Yes the levy will stay in place and any money put in will be taken until the it is paid.

They may also be looking at a garnishment of your payroll if they don't get enough

You can stop your direct deposit and get a physcial check and cash it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2006, 05:25 PM
    If you have direct deposit you need to get to your company immediately. It may even be too late to prevent your latest check.

My question is why you let it get to this point?

Nov 11, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Well I was paying on this but I was laid off for a while and I'm back on track I have been paying this company for over 3 years is there any way I can go through the court system so my whole check want be gone . Or should I call the attorney to see if payment arragements can be done.

Nov 11, 2006, 06:32 PM
    The only way they were able to attach your bank account is if they obtained a judgement in court. Where were you when the case was heard? Why didn't you start paying again as soon as you were able?

Yes, by all means contact the creditor to see if you can make alternative arrangements.

Nov 11, 2006, 06:37 PM
    I never went to court I just called them to make payment arrangements when they served the judgement to me. I did start paying but I guess cause I missed a month they decide to do this. Now what.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 11, 2006, 07:25 PM
    If you can stop the direct deposit and have your company issue you a paper check, then you might delay their taking your money, however, I if were the one seeking my money, I would file court docs to have your wages garnished, in other words, your employer would be required to send the unpaid creditor a portion of your check until the debt, fees, interest is paid. Try to avoid this as most employers frown upon having employees who are having similar issues. Seems that most employers experience is that employees with these issues do not normally make good employees - understand I am not saying that you are not a good employee.

Nov 11, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheralex
    I never went to court
    Why not? By not going to court they had no problem getting a judgement.

Nov 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Because I thought it was easier to just make arragements. My direct deposit comes out of canada from my employer so how do I go about stopping my direct deposit.

Nov 11, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Contact your HR or payroll office.

You don't want to have a judgement on record against you, plus it gives them the upper hand. You should have tried to fight the judgement or postpone it by making arrangements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Levy [ 5 Answers ]

I Found this post: Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in...

Notice of levy [ 2 Answers ]

My company owed money to a creditor, Their lawyer successfully ordered my bank to freeze my corporate account. They did not get the full amount of the debt, and now they are trying to do desame. However I have since closed that bank account and am no longer a corporation. I am now a sole...

Levy of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

A Lawfirm has placed a levy on my bank account because of a Credit Card bill owed by my common law wife. Her name is also on my account. How do I get a release from this levy.

Bank Account Levy-froze Student Loan Funds [ 2 Answers ]

I had outstanding credit card debt 5 yrs ago and am in the process of settling all accts. However, I deposited my STUDENT LOAN CHECK in my bank account, and I guess because of the higher balance a lawyer firm that I had no idea was suuing me because they sent all correspondence to the wrong...

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search