Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    This board is full of dysfunctional people.
    Welcome to the club.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 10:52 AM

I would just like to point out that a great way for partially fixing the existing system is to take the patent for life-saving drugs away from pharmaceudical companies IF the research for the drug was in any way, shape, or form funded by the taxpayers.

So... you can keep the profits as a company IF you do the research with your OWN money. If you use government GRANTS to do the research, then the GOVERNMENT owns the "patent"---or like the polio vaccine, and Jonas Salk, there should BE no patent for it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    So...you can keep the profits as a company IF you do the research with your OWN money. If you use government GRANTS to do the research, then the GOVERNMENT owns the "patent"---or like the polio vaccine, and Jonas Salk, there should BE no patent for it.
    Hello Synn:

You're coming along nicely. That's a wonderful idea. However, in terms of medical care, I have a belief that NO ONE should profit from anyone else's misery...

Really, Synn... Imagine the world gets hit with a really bad epidemic... ONE company has the patent on the ONLY vaccine that can save the world... THAT company, of course, wants to PROFIT from its patent.

Do you think the patent WILL be respected? Do you think it SHOULD be respected?

excon

PS> Will somebody please tell the Wolverine that I qualified my response above with the WORDS "in terms of medical care"... I'm sure he'll say that I said NO ONE should make ANY profits EVER. But, you'll direct him to the WORDS, won't you, as though that'll make a difference?? Hah!
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 12:50 PM

No... I actually agree with you Ex that companies should NOT have the exclusive rights to life-saving medical equipment or pharmaceudicals.

If there's a shot out there that can save lives--it should be used to do so, not to profit on human misery.

HOWEVER--the way to go about that is to abolish the patent system on medications, not to make it so that the companies (notice the plural there) making them can't afford to do so.

Right now, I believe that no company WILL find a cure for, say, cancer or AIDS, because it's more profitable to TREAT those diseases.

Get rid of the PATENT issue, and all of a sudden those companies have to compete with each other again, and that will lead to lower costs.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
    I would just like to point out that a great way for partially fixing the existing system is to take the patent for life-saving drugs away from pharmaceudical companies IF the research for the drug was in any way, shape, or form funded by the taxpayers.

So...you can keep the profits as a company IF you do the research with your OWN money. If you use government GRANTS to do the research, then the GOVERNMENT owns the "patent"---or like the polio vaccine, and Jonas Salk, there should BE no patent for it.
    Excellent idea.

I'm not sure about getting rid of patents though. Does this apply to all patents? Without patents, who is going to put the time, money, r and d to come up with new ideas, technologies, products? Maybe reduce the number of years a patent is enforced?

G&P
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 30, 2009, 01:01 PM

Your words, excon:

It's because NONE of it IS true. It resides ONLY in the head of your friendly Wolverine...
    Well, the fact is that ALL of it is true.

Obama did all those things. All of them were violations of contract and bankruptcy law.

So... all of them are TRUE.

Aren't they?! Yep, they are.

And based on that fact, Obama SHOULD be impeached. He broke the law and violated contractual agreements. But he won't be. Not because he didn't break the law, which he demonstrably did (even you can't deny that fact... it's been reported all over the newspapers), but because nobody would be able to get such an impeachment proceeding to go anywhere. After all, he only broke the law to screw over corporations and rich folks, so that's OK, right? Impeachment would be a political dead end because the Dems control Congress and nobody cares that a bunchg of corporations and rich folks got screwed.

That means that YOU were wrong in your statement that "none of it is true." Because it turns out that ALL of it is true.

Now admit it and move on.

But you can't. You never can.

Wrong on health care.

Wrong on the role of government.

Wrong on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wrong about Bush being a Dufus.

And wrong in saying that I was incorrect on the facts.

And NEVER able to admit it.

Elliot
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Excellent idea.

I'm not sure about getting rid of patents though. Does this apply to all patents? Without patents, who is going to put the time, money, r and d to come up with new ideas, technologies, products? Maybe reduce the number of years a patent is enforced?

G&P
    Not ALL patents--but can you imagine where we'd be today if the polio vaccine, or the smallpox vaccine, or the MMR every child gets was under PATENT, and only ONE company could make them--and could charge whatever they wanted for them?

And LOTS of people have come up with new ideas for the simple reason of making life better/easier, with no thought to the money involved.

Frankly, the government needs to stop outsourcing the military before it starts taking back medicine, in my opinion. But--if you're looking for a place to improve the current system, then stopping major pharmaceudical companies from taking government grants paid for with taxpayer money from PATENTING those drugs instead of supplying them to the public that paid for their research would be a good place to start.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 01:38 PM

Good luck discovering all those new drugs in the basement labs of the universities.

You are right about drugs discovered using grant $$ but surely you are not saying that a pharmaceutical company that incurred all the expenses with no guarantee of return should not get some exclusive use of the product on the hope of a return of their investment ,and profit on the side ? Venture capitalists will find better uses of their resources me thinks .

Sep 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Not ALL patents--but can you imagine where we'd be today if the polio vaccine, or the smallpox vaccine, or the MMR every child gets was under PATENT, and only ONE company could make them--and could charge whatever they wanted for them?

And LOTS of people have come up with new ideas for the simple reason of making life better/easier, with no thought to the money involved.

Frankly, the government needs to stop outsourcing the military before it starts taking back medicine, in my opinion. But--if you're looking for a place to improve the current system, then stopping major pharmaceudical companies from taking government grants paid for with taxpayer money from PATENTING those drugs instead of supplying them to the public that paid for their research would be a good place to start.
    Synnen,

There's this thing called "licensing" wherein a holder of a patent can allow other companies to make, promote, use or manufacture the patented item. That means that there can be more than one manufacturer for a product, as long as the patent-holder is properly compensated as per any licensing agreements between the parties.

That means that there is rarely a reason for a vaccine to be held back from production by more than one company.

Furthermore, drug patents tend to be relatively short-lived compared to other intellectual properties.

Sorry, but I don't buy your argument against patents for drugs.

Do you know how much it costs to develop a new drug?

Here's a rough breakdown:

Animal (screening) in rats—about 1–2 years, cost about $500k/year.

Animal screening in monkeys—about 2–5 years, cost $2 million a year.

Phase I in humans is strictly toxicology: 2 years, $10–20 million a year.

If it doesn't kill anybody, then move to Phase II testing for effectiveness: up to 10 years, cost $100+ million/year.

If statistics suggest a beneficial effect, then on to Phase III to determine effective dosage, side effects, other benefits and "off-label" uses: 5–10 years at another. $100+ million a year.

Over the entire term of testing, that's roughly $2 Billion for the cost of the development of ONE DRUG. And for every drug that makes it to market, there are literally HUNDREDS of drugs that fail at some point during their tests, each of which costs MORE money. But those failures are a necessary part of the development process... without those failures, new developments wouldn't happen.

Without patents, how are drug companies to recoup the costs of developing these drugs? If we don't allow the company that spent all that money to make it all back with some profit added, they aren't going to develop any other new drugs. Because companies are not in the business of spending $2 billion to not make any of it back. They would rather exit the business of developing drugs than stay in it for a $2 billion a pop loss.

Would you spend $2 billion if there was no mechanism for you to recoup that money? I'm guessing you wouldn't.

THAT is the reason that patents on intellectual properties exist... to allow companies to make back the money they spent on all those drugs that they managed to develop AND the costs of all the ones that FAILED as well. Because no matter how benevolent, kind, charitable, and compassionate people are, there comes a point when they decide that they can no longer afford to spend money and never see any of it come back to them. There's a point at which they go broke and can't afford to develop more meds.

Patents are a very necessary economic part of the development of new products. As is profit, and for much the same reason.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 02:29 PM
    You've heard the line that every American deserves the same type of health care that members of Congress receive, this is the kind of health care they receive. "And, for the most part, nobody asked what your insurance was," if the member needed to be treated at say, Johns Hopkins.

This fall while members of Congress toil in the U.S. Capitol, working to decide how or even whether to reform the country's health care system, one floor below them an elaborate Navy medical clinic -- described by those who have seen it as something akin to a modern community hospital -- will be standing by, on-call and ready to provide Congress with some of the country's best and most efficient government-run health care.

Formally called the Office of the Attending Physician, the clinic -- and at least six satellite offices -- bills its mission as one of emergency preparedness and public health. Each day, it stands ready to handle medical emergencies, biological attacks and the occasional fainting tourist visiting Capitol Hill.

Officially, the office acknowledges these types of services, including providing physicals to Capitol police officers and offering flu shots to congressional staffers. But what is rarely discussed outside the halls of Congress is the office's other role -- providing a wealth of primary care medical services to senators, representatives and Supreme Court justices.

Through interviews with former employees and members of Congress, as well as extensive document searches, ABC News has learned new details about the services offered by the Office of Attending Physician to members of Congress over the past few years, from regular visits by a consulting chiropractor to on-site physical therapy.

"A member walked in and was generally walked right back into a physician's office. They get good care. They are not rushed. They are examined thoroughly," said Eduardo Balbona, an internist in Jacksonville, Fa. who worked as a staff physician in the OAP from 1993 to 1995.

"You have time to spend to get to know your patients and think about them and really think about how you preserve their health going forward," Balbona said. "We're not there to put on Band-Aids. We were there to make sure that everything possible that could be done [is done] to preserve that member of Congress."
    No wonder they (including the President) won't commit to using the plans they're proposing for us.

Meanwhile, the reports of the public option being dead may be premature. Two reports, one from Human Events and one from Heritage, suggest Senate Democrats plan on ramming it through next week by attaching it "to a House-passed non-healthcare bill." Obviously they've forgotten the month of August and don't care what their constituents want.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Following up on my earlier post on this pathetic Jerk named Alan Grayson (D-FL), who said the Republican Health care plan is "don't get sick" and "die quickly." Grayson of course not only refuses to apologize for his vitriol but now calls Republicans "foot-dragging, knuckle-dragging neanderthals."

Pelosi, another one of the most pathetic jerks in congressional history, who teared up over the possibility of violence stemming from the health care debate rhetoric, who censured Joe Wilson AFTER he apologized the President, and who personally impugned American citizens as Nazis, says there's no need for Grayson to apologize.

"If anybody's going apologize, everybody should apologize," Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference. "We are holding Democrats to a higher standard than their own members."
    I suppose it's easy to hold your own to a higher standard when you have no standards, anything is a step up, right?

Well Grayson did apologize, but not to those he insulted. He apologized to the dead, all those gazillions of Americans that die every year because they don't have health insurance.

"I call upon the Democratic members of the House, I call upon the Republican members of the House, I call upon all of us to do our jobs for the sake of America, for the sake of those dying people and their families. "I apologize to the dead and their families that we haven't voted sooner to end this holocaust in America."
    His outright fabrications and insults to Republicans aside, you'd think a Jewish guy would have some grasp of and respect for the term "holocaust." When did we start systematically murdering millions of Americans? Or should I just ask am I the only one here that finds extremely hypocritical that a member of the party that wholeheartedly endorses a practice that has killed over 49 million innocent children since 1973 would dare link Republicans to an imagined health care holocaust?

How in God's name can any of you ever trust these Democrats with your lives? How can you give them even an ounce of credibility?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Congratulations to Alan Grayson for telling it like it is and fighting fire with fire. He is of course correct. Watch the whole Situation Room where he sets all the panelists in their place. We need more like him.

Here's the video: YouTube - Rep Alan Grayson: Republicans Are "Knuckle-Dragging Neanderthals"
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Congratulations to Alan Grayson for telling it like it is and fighting fire with fire. He is of course correct. Watch the whole Situation Room where he sets all the panelists in their place. We need more like him.

Here's the video: YouTube - Rep Alan Grayson: Republicans Are "Knuckle-Dragging Neanderthals"
    How can you not only defend but celebrate this pathetic, lying jerk? His point is they can't get anything done because Republicans are dragging their feet.

He's a pathetic, lying, sack of cow excrement and you think he's "telling it like it is?" HELLO! Not only has Obama not met with Republicans on this since May, but Democrats don't need a single Republican to pass their legislation and 56 percent of Americans are opposed to their proposals. That's telling it like it is.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:28 PM
    You and all your republican friends here are the lying sacks of excrements.
    Democrats wants to do this in a bi-partisan way and you oppose that?
    Also " A New York Times/CBS poll found that 65% of respondents want a public health care option, while only 26% opposed such a plan"

Oct 1, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Also " A New York Times/CBS poll found that 65% of respondents want a public health care option, while only 26% opposed such a plan"

So tell us, NK, what overtures have the Dems made to work with the Reps on health care?

And as it turns out, Grayson's description of the "Republican plan" is actually more fitting for the Dems plan.

The Dem's big fix for cutting the cost of health care is "preventive medicine"... in other words "don't get sick".

And if we do get sick, the Dem's big solution is to have old people sign DNRs, DNIs and Living Wills that tell doctors not to administer care... in other words, "die quickly".

It's all right there in HR 3200.

So in fact, Grayson was describing HIS health care plan, not ours.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 01:53 PM
    How do you get away here with so many personal attacks against other AMHD members?

What overtures have they made, huh? Tell us. If they want a bipartisan approach why do they keep trying to ram it through under the radar?

Also " A New York Times/CBS poll found that 65% of respondents want a public health care option, while only 26% opposed such a plan" [LEFT]
    That's obviously a very confused sampling, 30% think Obamacare will make Medicare worse while only 15% think it will make it better, yet they want a Medicare type option? And 59% don't understand the plans at all. That's a real smart group of folks they sampled there.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:02 PM

Hello:

He interprets the Republican plan as "don't get sick". It certainly as close to the truth as the Republican interpretation of the Democrats wanting to kill granny.

By the way, what is the Republican bill number?? What is it again?? You can't find it?? You say they don't HAVE a bill. Really? The Republicans haven't introduced their OWN health care bill?? I thought they had a plan.. They COULD introduce a bill, can't they?? I mean, there's no LAW that says the minority party can't introduce legislation.

Hmmmm... Don't get sick is looking much like the truth.

excon
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:23 PM

I agree with Excon. I am not aware of any republican plan to reform health care. My impression is that they want everything to stay the way it is. That was the whole point of the summer town hall shoutings, yes? Don't change anything, don't talk about this issue. Just shout down anyone who wants to discuss how we could make things better. A large majority of Americans want reform.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:31 PM
    You really believe the Democrats?

Rep. Tom Price, the Georgia Republican who heads the House GOP Study Committee, came to President Obama's speech Wednesday night itching to make a point. Price, who also happens to be an orthopedic surgeon, has often heard the president accuse Republicans of criticizing Democratic health care proposals while having no plans of their own. He expected Obama to do the same Wednesday night.

"We knew the president would at some point say something like, 'and the other side has no ideas,' " Price says. So Price and his Republican colleagues brought with them copies of the more than 30 health care reform bills they have proposed in the House this year.

Obama didn't directly accuse Republicans of not having a plan. But he did say he would welcome "serious" health care proposals. "My door is always open," Obama said.

That's when Price held up the sheaf of papers he was carrying -- a copy of H.R. 3400, the Empowering Patients First Act, which Price and the Republican Study Committee proposed in July. Other GOP lawmakers held up their own bills. Some raised a list of all the health care bills -- there are more than 30 -- proposed by members of the Study Committee.

Why use the props? "To say in a quiet and respectful way, 'Here are our ideas,' " Price says. "To say to the president, 'You're not being honest with the American people when you say that there haven't been ideas put forward, and that you've listened to them, because you haven't.' "
    The Dems are rejecting every plan, every proposal, every amendment Republicans are putting forth. Harry Reid, when confronted with a bill to allow re-importation of drugs from Canada said it was an "inopportune time" to consider lowering prescription drug costs while the health care debate is taking place. After censuring Joe Wilson and re-wording the bill to correct what he accused Obama of lying about, they've now rejected a Republican amendment to require photo ID's for health benefits leaving the doors wide open for giving coverage to illegals anyway.

These Dems have ZERO credibility and Grayson is now their celebrated poster child for that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Just shout down anyone who wants to discuss how we could make things better.
    Or just ignore the facts and lie through their teeth. See my last post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Travelling to the United States [ 1 Answers ]

I was refused entry to the US several years ago as they became under the impression that I was trying to work illegally( which was not the case). Since then my passport has been flagged and every time I have made and attempt to cross the border- I have been stopped and drilled with questions, even...

Flying within the United States [ 1 Answers ]

I am Canadian, driving over the border to Buffalo, flying from Buffalo to Florida, do I need a passport? One airline says yes the other one says no.

Universal Healthcare? [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this here because it effects us all and is a big election issue. While the current US healthcare system is far from perfect, is Universal Healthcare the answer? BBC NEWS | Health | UK 'has worst cancer record' Pacific Research Institute • Publications • Michael Moore...

United states immigrants [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: what 3 things that immigrants have brought to the united states

United states constituition [ 1 Answers ]

Name the four ways in which the United States COnstituition has been developed since 1 789 and give an example of each.

View more questions Search