Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frowns Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Can I claim wife as dependent?
    I am a US Citizen who is married to a Japanese National. I live here in the US and she lives in Japan. We both work. I will be relocating to Japan in January 2010. With that said:

In comparing Married Filing Jointly vs. Married Filing Separately, it's in our best interest to file separately. However, after reading various posts and sources online, I am curious to know if I can claim my wife as a dependent. It seems the most important question asked in deciding if this exemption is possible is if my wife had any income. But is it referring to US income or worldwide income?

She did live/work in Japan and earned income. But since she's not a US citizen and we are not filing jointly, I don't know how the rules apply to her - it seems like they don't.

Also, if someone knows this - once relocated overseas, and working in Japan, would I still have to file a US State tax form? I know the IRS requires federal filing no matter where you live in the world, but I don't know how state tax would work, since I would not be living in any of the 50 states (I currently live in NJ - but once I move, the only thing I will have in the usa is a bank account in pnc bank branch in nj).

Thanks.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Sep 28, 2009, 09:40 AM

You may take an exemption for your wife as long as she had no US gross income or was not a dependent on someone else's US return.

A spouse is never a dependent.

You must apply for an ITIN (Form W-7) for her checking box (e) and filling in your name and number. When filing for 2009 enclose your return with your application for an ITIN and all required documents and send both your return and the W-7 it to the ITIN Operation.

Depending on how much you make in Jersey in January you may have to file partial year returns. In 2011 you will have no obligation to them unless you return to that state.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Five Rings:

While it is true that on a resident tax return, the spouse can never be a dependent, on some non-resident returns, the spouse IS claimed as a dependent.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Sep 28, 2009, 01:42 PM

Well not precisely.

A spouse can never be claimed as a dependent because they cannot meet the tests.

In some circumstances you may enter the spouse in the dependents line and write spouse and then check "dependents on 7c not entered above" but that is merely a bookkeeping accommodation to the IRS. A spouse can never be a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my wife and child in nepal as dependent while filing my taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen in united states and I am working on bring my wife and child to US on K3 and K4 visa.

Can my wife claim her nephew as a dependent on her income taxe [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's nephew was born on September 15 2008 and has lived with us since then. His mother made less than 3,400 dollars this year, and my wife has provided more than half of his financial support. My wife's sister (nephew's mother) also lives with us and we provide more than half of her financial...

H4 to H1 transfer for wife, can I still claim her as a dependent [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I actually need help from someone who is also aware of immigration law for my question. I am currently on my H1 and my wife just got her H1 approved this year. She has been on an H4 until now. We just applied for her SSN and will be receiving it in 2 weeks. My question is as follows:...

Can I claim my wife who is on a Tourist VISA as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I had a question regarding my Tax liability for 2007. I was in the US on a F1 VISA as a graduate student. My fiancée came down on a B1/B2 visa in Nov 2006. We got married in the US itself and then left the USA to come back to India in June 2007. Now after marriage I made changes in...

Dependent wife got a job in Nov 07 how to claim tax exepmtion? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 (wokring full time) wife in H4 (since 2006 june). Wife converted fropm h4-h1. Started working from Nov 07. Last year I claimed her as dependent on my tax return. She will get her first pay check on dec312007. Does that mean I cannot claim her as dependent for the whole year of...

View more questions Search