Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yazuk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Tiny white insect/pests roaming around my home
    Hi, can anyone tell me what the tiny white pests are that are in all the rooms in my home?
    They are mainy on wooden furniture but I've also seen them on walls in my bathroom. I've even seen them on my baby's cot!! They are not in groups. You acually only see one at a time. They are tiny and at first you think it's a flek of dust. But they crawl along the surface.I'm too much of a chicken too look too closely at them. I do have damp at my home so could that be the reason I find them at home? I don't know whether they can bring harm to us. I really want to get rid of them. Please advise me what to do
    :eek:
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Can you give me a closer description? How long are they? Do they have visible legs? Wings? Are there any spots of color? Which color?

I have an idea they may be moth larvae but I need more information to be sure.
    starlitegirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 07:54 AM
    I have these too. They are very prevalent around dusty or objects covered with pollen especially wood. They are extremely tiny, whitish and don't crawl fast. I can smoosh them easily with a cloth or my finger. I've also seen them or bugs very similar to them on paper (but it's hard to tell because paper is light and so are the bugs). They are on my dressers and tables. They are oblong with maybe six or eight legs, kind of small to count. And they look like their head is separated from their body. I came across loads of them crawling on my sewing table which was covered with pollen and dust as I hadn't been in there all summer but the window was open and it was a humid, damp summer. I just completed a major dusting of everything and even washing of all the clothes where they might have been (in drawers on a dresser I saw them crawling on). They seem harmless other than the ick factor and making me feel itchy. Now I have to vacuum just to be certain they're gone. Any idea what they are?
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Starlitegirl, yours sound a little different from yazuk's. I think what you're dealing with are a fungus gnat feeding on mildew.

Image Search Results

Can you see any wings? Flying insects?

Getting rid of them should be as simple as getting rid of the mildew with a little bleach/water wipe down.

Sep 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Starlitegirl, yours sound a little different from yazuk's. I think what you're dealing with are a fungus gnat feeding on mildew.

Image Search Results

Can you see any wings? Flying insects?

Getting rid of them should be as simple as getting rid of the mildew with a little bleach/water wipe down.
    No wings at all. Just tiny things that crawl around. I had thought they might be 'book lice'. They look like this and are very tiny. I can see them crawling, but would need a magnifying glass to get a really good look at them. Very tiny. But would they be around dust and pollen and on furniture?
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starlitegirl View Post
    No wings at all. Just tiny things that crawl around. I had thought they might be 'book lice'. They look like this and are very tiny. I can see them crawling, but would need a magnifying glass to get a really good look at them. Very tiny. But would they be around dust and pollen and on furniture?
    I think you've found them. Yes. Psocids feed on pollen and mildew. This link is very informative.

ENY-225/IG094: Booklice and Silverfish

Sep 26, 2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks!! That link is great! Now I know what triggers them. I think this summer caused an abundance because it was rainy and damp/humid here for most of it.

I have silverfish once in a while but not that many this past year. But the booklice were really abundant in one room and I've gone through everything cleaning like crazy so I think that did the trick since the moisture and pollen has been cleaned away.

Thanks!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this tiny hooked insect that hits like a hammer? [ 12 Answers ]

What is a tiny insect with a hook? About 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch long, brownish read with a large hook. When this insect tagged me, it felt like someone hammered a nail into my arm and I'm still carrying the scar from it. I thought it was a type of earwig, but cannot find anything on the computer...

White winged flying human biting insect [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me identify insect. We were thinking it was a bird mite, but looking at the pictures, the characteristics of my insect doesn't match totally with a bird mite. It is white in coloring, has pinchers, legs and almost transparent wings. It lands and bites, it also leaves a red spot on...

What are these tiny white bugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked on a chicken farm last year, and I got an infestation in the carpets clothes,etc I had to wash and disinfect everything but now a year on I'm finding them again in clothes, they are very hard to see and they are white with reddy orange heads, please help it's getting me down and it makes...

Pests in the home [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a 32 year old home and it seems that the interior walls contain an infestation of roaches. What is the best way to get rid of them. It also seems that a rat or mice lived in the home while it was vacant. What can I do to make sure they don't return, without using harmful...

Tiny insect found in paper (books) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I recently opened a book at home and found this white/beige really tiny insect crawling around in the book. This is not first one I have seen in my house. I have also seen one crawling around in a box in my closet once. I'm not sure what type of bug it is or how to get rid of them. I...

View more questions Search