Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KVeltkamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Is this Correct?
    Journalize the following merchandising transactions for CSI Systems assuming it uses (a) a periodic
    Inventory system and (b) a perpetual inventory system.
    1. On November 1, CSI Systems purchases merchandise for $1,400 on credit with terms of 25,
    n30, FOB shipping point; invoice dated November 1.
    2. On November 5, CSI Systems pays cash for the November 1 purchase.
    3. On November 7, CSI Systems discovers and returns $100 of defective merchandise purchased on
    November 1 for a cash refund.
    4. On November 10, CSI Systems pays $80 cash for transportation costs with the November 1 purchase.
    5. On November 13, CSI Systems sells merchandise for $1,500 on credit. The cost of the merchandise
    Is $750.
    6. On November 16, the customer returns merchandise from the November 13 transaction. The returned
    Items sell for $200 and cost $100.

For my answer I have
    (a) a periodic inventory system

1. On November 1, CSI Systems purchases merchandise for $1,400 on credit with terms of 2/5, n/30, FOB shipping point; invoice dated November 1
    Dr Purchases $1,400
    Cr Accounts payable $1,400

2. On November 5, CSI Systems pays cash for the November 1 purchase
    Dr Accounts payable $1,400
    Cr Purchase discounts $28
    Cr Cash $1,372

3. On November 7, CSI Systems discovers and returns $100 of defective merchandise purchased on November 1 for a cash refund
    Dr Cash $98
    Dr Purchase discounts $2
    Cr Purchases $100

4. On November 10, CSI Systems pays $80 cash for transportation costs with the November 1 purchase
    Dr Freight-in $80
    Cr Cash $80

5. On November 13, CSI Systems sells merchandise for $1,500 on credit. The cost of the merchandise is $750
    Dr Accounts receivable $1,500
    Cr Sales $1,500

6. On November 16, the customer returns merchandise from the November 13 transaction. The returned items sell for $200 and cost $100
    Dr Sales returns & allowances $200
    Cr Accounts receivable $200

(b) a perpetual inventory system

1. On November 1, CSI Systems purchases merchandise for $1,400 on credit with terms of 2/5, n/30, FOB shipping point; invoice dated November 1
    Dr Merchandise inventory $1,400
    Cr Accounts payable $1,400

2. On November 5, CSI Systems pays cash for the November 1 purchase
    Dr Accounts payable $1,400
    Cr Merchandise inventory $28
    Cr Cash $1,372

3. On November 7, CSI Systems discovers and returns $100 of defective merchandise purchased on November 1 for a cash refund
    Dr Cash $98
    Cr Merchandise inventory $100

4. On November 10, CSI Systems pays $80 cash for transportation costs with the November 1 purchase
    Dr Merchandise inventory $80
    Cr Cash $80

5. On November 13, CSI Systems sells merchandise for $1,500 on credit. The cost of the merchandise is $750
    Dr Accounts receivable $1,500
    Cr Sales $1,500

Dr COGS $750
    Cr Merchandise inventory $750

6. On November 16, the customer returns merchandise from the November 13 transaction. The returned items sell for $200 and cost $100
    Dr Sales returns & allowances $200
    Cr Accounts receivable $200

Dr Merchandise inventory $100
    Cr COGS $100
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 08:10 PM

#3 for perpetual, the inventory would be $98 as well. Remember that you can never have an entry that doesn't balance.

Otherwise, it's all correct. Good job! Difficult to learn both methods at the same time.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    #3 for perpetual, the inventory would be $98 as well. Remember that you can never have an entry that doesn't balance.

Otherwise, it's all correct. Good job! Difficult to learn both methods at the same time.
    The purchases were recorded at full price, hence the credit is correctly recorded for the full price of $100. The difference of $2 represents purchase discounts. The entry is:

Debit Cash 98
    Debit Purchase discounts 2
    Credit Merchandise Inventory 100
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 11:24 PM

The inventory was already paid for and the discount already removed from inventory, meaning the net cost of the inventory is now in inventory at 98.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 24, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    The inventory was already paid for and the discount already removed from inventory, meaning the net cost of the inventory is now in inventory at 98.
    Sorry, did not notice the entry of November 5. I stand corrected
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 05:50 PM

Well, if you'd sit at the computer instead of standing... :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Could you tell me if these are correct? [ 6 Answers ]

1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most. answer: Apple Polishing 2. On a radio ad: “Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the...

Correct This [ 1 Answers ]

A prepayment was made in October but the invoice was not issued until November. How do you correct this?

If the correct answer is May cgs, $15,500 how is the answer correct need to see work [ 1 Answers ]

P23-A The budget committee of Vinning office supply Co. Has assembled the following data. As the business manager, you must prepare the budgeted income statements for May and Jun 2006. A. Sales in April were $42,100.. You forecast that monthly sales will increase 2.0% in May and 2.4% in June.

What is the correct way? [ 2 Answers ]

My parenst own their house and want to put my name on the trust. However, I'm married but my parents do not want my husband to have his name on it. What is the correct ways of doing this? Nikki

View more questions Search