Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmcoburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 09:13 AM
    1/2" flexible supply hose won't attach to 1/2" OLD brass sink fitting
    Hi,
    I am trying to install shutoff valves below an old sink (house built 1926 in Buffalo, NY). The old water supply had a 3/8" FIP connection on the bottom and what looked to be a 1/2" compression connection on the top. A local plumbing store that specializes in old plumbing also thought that a flexible hose with 1/2" compression connection should be a suitable replacement. Yet when I try to attach the hose to the male brass threads, I get no purchase on the threads. The threads are not visibly corroded or worn away, and a 3/8" compression connection is far too small (I tried it). Any suggestions? For instance, is there an easy way to build up the male threads so they will grab the apparently too large female end, or do I need to hunt down an off-size compression connection..
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:51 AM

Take a pic and post via "Go advanced/manage attachments" . Put something in the pic so we can gage sizes. A ruler, a penney, a dime.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 01:30 PM

Yes please post a pic. Are you sure that they didn't sell you flexible closet(toilet) supplys. Closet supplys won't fit on sink fixtures, they are to big. Make sure you have lav(sink)supplys. There is no off size connection on sink faucets. IF you get the correct flex supply lines, it will work for you. Good luck. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox toolbar customizaton: "flexible space" [ 1 Answers ]

Nothing in Help for the "flexible space"... I thought if I put one in there, I could stretch it to be as wide as I like... but it does not stretch. All it really is is a skinny space. What exactly is the flexible space and how do I use it? Thanks!

Change brass fitting on 1" HDPE water service to house [ 4 Answers ]

I have 1" HDPE water service into the house, Vanguard Proguard black plastic. Presently there is 3/4" brass nipple inside, held on by two hose clamps. To this is threaded a 3/4" valve followed by 3/4" PEX supply to the house. I want to change the 3/4" nipple to a 1" barbed fitting to restore...

How do I "connect 1/2" copper to 1/2" flexible plastic"? Anyone? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Experts... Amateur (very amateur!! ) plumber needing some advice: Bought an old 2 1/2 storey house, and somebody ran some copper into the uninsulated side attic to feed the hot & cold water to a sink. This might not be a problem in California, but it sure is North of the border in...

Flexible coatings to "repair" leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My brand new home has a leak. Water on the garage floor leaks into a room directly underneath the garage. The driveway is constructed as a "bridge" driveway, and water or snow falling on the driveway also causes leaking in the room under the garage (even if the garage floor itself is dry)....

Sautering 2" copper to 2" brass [ 2 Answers ]

Note sure if this is the right forum... my husband is in construction at work right now and they have asked me to find out how to sauter 2" copper to 2" brass? Is this possible... if so how? :D Thanks for any input. CORRECTION: What material do you use to fill in when sautering copper to...

View more questions Search