Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nightLotus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Melting contact lenses?
    I received a forwarded email that advised people who wear contacts to keep away from very hot heat sources (i.e. fires). Supposedly some guy's contact lenses melted when he was BBQ-ing, which caused him to become blind.

I'm rather skeptical about this message (as I am with most forwards of this kind... who makes these things up!! A lot of them are obviously fake!), so I looked up the materials and melting point of contact lenses (both rigid gas permeable/hard and hydrogel/soft kinds) online but didn't find much information.
    (Found something about sanitizing contacts at approx. 98 deg. C... )

I was wondering if anyone can advise on the likelihood of contacts melting in one's eyes...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
    I personally doubt it, but, as I'm not a speciallist in contact lenses.. I may be wrong.

This person, who "became blind", if it's, true must have gone really near to the heat source. This is almost unbelievable.
    nightLotus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Well, we DO know that steam has the potential to get above 100 deg C, and contains quite a bit of energy. But I'm guessing what cannot hurt the naked eye cannot hurt someone with contacts... unless the material somehow retains heat better than our eyeballs... and/or actually melts.

Just something that raised my curiosity.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 03:05 PM

I can see that happening. I've had my contacts stuck to my eyes and had to have them removed before after camping. They assumed it was a combination of being too close to the campfire & wearing them for a few days straight.

As stated on this site, the materials used to make contacts melt anywhere from 130 degrees F to 163.

Ophthalmic - Contact Lens
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 01:05 PM

Uh oh, no I sure didn't. Perhaps I should pay closer attention. I was just searching for things that fits into my area of expertise, and answering. My bad. Should we close?
    contact_lenses Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 01:43 PM
    You are right to be skeptical. There are people out there that get a kick out of starting rumors just like there are those who create computer viruses for their own sick reasons.

Think about it. One of the alternate methods of sterilyzing soft <a href=http://www.coloredcontacts.com>contact lenses</a> is to boil them. If boiling them doesn't melt them then the amount of heat that would will burn the face as well. There is no evidence that a contact lens ever melted on someone's eyes let alone caused them to go blind as a result.
    MaryPaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2011, 11:25 PM
    I would recommend a online contact lenses store which provides contact lenses for less price. I had ordered contact lenses for less price. Found more tips on buying contact lenses, Caring tips, wearing tips online. I had got up to 70% off on buying contact lenses and lots more offers from http://www.contactlensesexpress.co.uk
    susovit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 07:07 AM
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/melted-contact-lens-bbq.shtml

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Contact lenses [ 10 Answers ]

I went to the ophthalmologist and had a thorough eye exam - I have worn contacts for ages, went to the optician with the prescription from the ophthalmologist, he fitted me for contacts and recommended Day & Night (or the other way around) and for whatever reason I said, sure, I'll take them. ...

Contact Lenses [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one know some contacts lenses that have the diameter 14.2 and base curve 8.6...

What do you think of your contact lenses? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys Have you tried any of these lenses? Cibavision O2 Optix (Air Optix) Cooperview Proclear Compatibles Johnson & Johnson Acuvue Oasys

Contact lenses [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has nothing to do with teens but it's the only thing close enough to the question. I have contact lenses I am having a trial week and the only problem is I find it hard to put the lenses in and take out. I have tried many ways but none seem to work. ANY IDEAS?! :confused:

Contact lenses/sleep [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, (didnt know what to put this question under) I was just wondering if I can nod off with hard contact lenses in?? I am going on my holidays in a week and on the plane I will want to read but I will probably sleep a bit as well. I can't wear my glasses anymore because they are blurry as my...

View more questions Search