Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spislgal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Cannot Add Domain User to Local Administrator Group
    I am trying to add a domain account to the local Administrators group on a Windows XP Pro workstation. My network is Windows 2003 / Active Directory.

On a Windows XP workstation:

Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Groups

I open the Administrator group, then press "Add..." The only thing in the "From this location" box is the local machine I'm working on, so I press the "Locations" button. In the resulting window, there is no other option to select from. The only icon in that window is the local machine.

Consequently, I cannot add a domain account to the local Administrators group.

Notes:

--The Domain Administrator and a Local user account are currently part of the machine's administrator group.

--Able to login on the machine as Domain administrator

-- The computer has been added to the domain. Active directory is completely aware of the machine and it functions normally in the domain aside from this issue.

-- Was able to login as the domain user on the machine and a profile was created. However, need to add the domain user account to local admin group to be able to run/test a program.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Try this on the local machine.
    Start > Control Panel > User accounts > Add the user there with the domain info. To local admin.
    Tushars Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spislgal
    I am trying to add a domain account to the local Administrators group on a Windows XP Pro workstation. My network is Windows 2003 / Active Directory.

On a Windows XP workstation:

Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Groups

I open the Administrator group, then press "Add..." The only thing in the "From this location" box is the local machine I'm working on, so I press the "Locations" button. In the resulting window, there is no other option to select from. The only icon in that window is the local machine.

Consequently, I cannot add a domain account to the local Administrators group.

Notes:

--The Domain Adminstrator and a Local user account are currently part of the machine's administrator group.

--Able to login on the machine as Domain administrator

-- The computer has been added to the domain. Active directory is completely aware of the machine and it functions normally in the domain aside from this issue.

-- Was able to login as the domain user on the machine and a profile was created. However, need to add the domain user account to local admin group to be able to run/test a program.
    Can you please tell me what is your achievements?
    iali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
    If you still have this problem, just go to the computer management ==> groups > Administrators ==>Add==>domain name \username

And you sholud be good to go.

You can do this by group policy as well.

Thanks,

Irfan Ali.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
    If the computer is unable to browse the domain even though the machine is a member of the domain, it may have a corrupt machine account. Go to the Event Logs and look in the System Log. Do you see any Kerberos errors or DCOM errors?

The best step to take is to remove the machine from the domain and then add it back to the domain. Make sure you know what the local Administrator account password is before your reboot.
    khan021 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I go with irfan ali.

I think it will work for this.
    yourcomputerguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Hello,

Please verify that your xp workstation has ONLY the DNS entry for your dns server/domain controller.

You can check/change this by:
    Control panel > network > right-click the network connection used > properties > tcp/ip (properties)

Also, of course, ensure the workstation is on the same local network as your domain controller, or properly connected by a vpn if that's your thing.
    dgobat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 02:38 AM
    yourcomputerguy your solution fixed my issue.

I set the Preffered DNS Server address to point to my DNS, logged off and logged back on and it worked.

Thanks!
    misidro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Hello,

Thanks for the help! It solved my problem too!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by yourcomputerguy View Post
    Hello,

Please verify that your xp workstation has ONLY the DNS entry for your dns server/domain controller.

You can check/change this by:
    Control panel > network > right-click the network connection used > properties > tcp/ip (properties)

Also, of course, ensure the workstation is on the same local network as your domain controller, or properly connected by a vpn if that's your thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Group - A & Group-T shares [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to know what are Group-A shares & Group-T shares and what we mean by that. On what basis this groupings are done

XP Local Administrator Accounts Lose Admin Group Membership [ 6 Answers ]

Could somebody tell me why I lose the administrators group membership on a user account on a Win XP Pro box? I believe it is related to GPO, but cannot determine this to be the case and it would most likely have to be a local GPO - not domain GPO. Could anybody assist with informing me how I can...

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Local group policy [ 1 Answers ]

How can I restrict local users by using group policy. I want to create a user and allow them to use .NET and SQL Server. The local user should be a member of which group?

User can't access his local hard disk? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I've a Server running Wind2003, and some computer clients connected to it. I've used the OU to deploy some software packages to the users (published), the user can see the software package in the Add/Remove Software, but when he/she starts to install the package on his computer the...

View more questions Search