Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kircpat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 04:40 PM
    DSL works but Landline Phones don't work
    Hello

I have been trying to debug an issue for 2 days. I have an Open House Telephone Entry Module H611 which is hooked up to Open House 4x8 Telephone Expansion Hub H618. My DSL is working fine. Also, I have dial tone at Network Box outside the House. I unplugged all the phones from the jacks inside the house and tried one at a time but no dial tone. I have found that the Blue and Blue/White striped wires have a short between them (not hard short but 40 ohms). The H618 Expansion Hub does not seem to have a short. I have tried opening couple of wall jacks inside the rooms and there seems to be no short there. I have 3 more rooms to check.

Also, when I call the landline phone from my cell then I get a Busy Signal. Another thing I noticed is that if I wiggle the wires by the Expansion Hub then I seem to hear a distant busy tone with some static

In the mean while any help will be greatly appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 05:29 PM

Remove the jumper on the H611 and plug a phone in to the leftmost jack. Line will probably be OK. Pull right-most jumper to H618 and plug phone in there. Line probably bad.

Bet surge devices are fried in the H611 module but are not illuminating LEDS.

Sep 13, 2009, 06:45 PM

Hello, thanks for the quick response. I have tried this. I get the dial tone on the rightmost jack on H611 that is connected to H618.

There is also an OUT jack (just below IN jack) on H618 expansion Hub. If I plug the phone into this OUT jack there is no Dial Tone which left me to assume that there was something wrong at or after H618 expansion hub. I found using a Multimeter that there is a short between Blue and Blue/White stripped lines on H618. This means the short is either on H618 or on any of the wall jacks or on the long cable. Now the expansion Hub has 8 connectors each with 8 lines (only 4 lines are used blue/white and orange/white). The Blue and striped Blue/white wires are shorted on all 8 connectors which is why I think none of the phone jacks in the rooms work. When I call the phone from my cell, I hear busy signal which means short (which I measured using the meter)

Do you have any other ideas to narrow this down?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 07:07 PM

You only need to pop one of the wires blu/wht or wht/blu.

So, remove 4 blu/wht, say 4 to the left. If dial tone returns, then it's the 4 on the right. If it doesn't return, then remove 2 more.

You could get lucky, but in any event you don't have to remove all of the wires that are punched down. Only 8 of them.

Sep 14, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Again, thanks for the comments. Based on my last but previous response I had mentioned that I still had to check the jacks in 3 rooms which I did today. As suspected there was a short between Blue and White wires inside the jack in my son's room. All I had to do was just plug in a cable into that jack which seemed to stress the jack enough to remove the short. I now have all the phones working in the house.

It took 2 full days to debug this issue and I hope this will help out folks out there if they face similar issues and save some debug time

Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 11:15 AM

Congrats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cordless landline phones [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Panasonic Cordless phones, one a 2.4 GHZ & one is a 5.8 GHZ being used into a Magic Jack DSL Connection. Can the 2.4 Ghz phone be changed to 5.8 GHZ to use as an extra Satellite phone?

Landline phones and microfilters [ 11 Answers ]

Please can anyone hekp? I recently bought a number of microfilters(the straight plug in type without lead) but after plugging the landlines in the phones do not ring. All phones ring plugged directly in without microfilters. Any help appreciated. itcac

Can't get My Other Phones to work? [ 1 Answers ]

Signed on with Clearwire VoIP for my Home Phone Service, but the ONLY Phone that works is the one next to my Computer and the Modem(Linksys SPA2102-SF W/ ROUTER) I was told that when I Signed up for this that my Other Home Phones would work with this, but they aren't? I was told by their Tech to...

I reformated my computer and phones don't work [ 3 Answers ]

If you reformat the computer which is start fresh again and all that do the phones still work because mine are not and the power doesn't turn on even though its plugged in. are the phones broken or is it just because I reformated the computer?

My landline phone doesn't work when online [ 33 Answers ]

Is there something free that I can download that will tell me the calls I'm missing on my landline when online.

View more questions Search