Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamilaramila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 03:26 AM
    How approach for life insurance
    Dear Sir/Madam,

First let me introduce myself. I am Pamila, by profession I am a Life insurance agent since past two years. As life insurance agent I am not successful since I am just managing to complete my minimum target. I am trying to confront my fears but I am still facing lot of difficulties like I have fear of What IF before taking any actions. Like what if things will go wrong, what if I will make a mistake, what if people will reject me, what if people will laugh at me, what if I will make a fool of myself, what if people will criticise me, what if people will get angry with me, what if people will shout and scold me, what if people will discourage me, what if people will ignore me, what if people will avoid me, what if people will react in way which I wouldn't like what if people will think and talk about me that I am a failure as insurance agent, I do not earn well and don't have income etc.
    Even right now I am facing all this fears but I really do no know how to cope with rejections and get myself emotionally detach. Also how do I build self confidence to face this fears. I also get emotionally hurt and upset and loose focus and I worry when all the above mentioned things takes place in real. For example I make a mistake like spilling a cup of coffee in front of people, or if I say something funny and people don’t laugh or don’t respond well to my jokes, I feel that people don’t like my personality or I am stupid and should have said that or done like that etc. Or people don’t like my sense of humor etc… and then I try to correct myself in each individual areas by setting rules like I should drink coffee like this, I should behave like this, I should not say like this to this person like that etc.
    I just want to get out of this mindset and enjoy my life and not be bothered by people comments, reactions, rejections, disapproval, small mistakes made by me etc.
    Please help me to overcome this problem and fears how to deal by not being bothered and concerned about other people and their reaction towards me. If possible please suggest some good books to read to overcome this kind of fears and build self confidence and self esteem.

Also regarding my life insurance business I am still facing problems
    In the following areas.

1)How to introduce myself in parties & social functions & what to say when giving visiting cards to get future business,services & work from them without sounding like I am begging so as to increase my business or network.

For example currently I say :- If you have any need to purchase policy or you need any service please call me. Or please buy a policy from me. I will be glad if U can provide me with a exact script so that I don't sound as if I am begging. I will appreciate if you can provide me with a script. Eg:- here is my visiting card, if you need insurance call me etc.

2) Please also provide exact script on What should I talk to people and how to ask them to buy a new policy or ( how to propose them to buy or to consider buying a ploicy) when I am in front of them when I meet them in parties and social functions for the first time please provide exact script or an example.

I will appreciate if you can help in the following areas and help me overcome this fear. Awaiting for your positive response as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regards,
    Pamila.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 06:53 PM

Hi Pamilaramila,

I can give you some suggestions, but first realize that not all people are cut out for sales.

You seem very paranoid my friend, it is not necessary to be this way. after all, you now know more about life insurance than probably 90% of the people that you will talk with...that alone should give you confidence.

How you are approaching these people is possibly wrong, people hate to be sold anything, they want to think that it was their idea, you have to understand the physiology behind this. In a way, presently you are asking them to do YOU a favor... .'please buy a policy from me..." Think about this for a moment... okay? Why should they all do you a favor and buy life insurance from you? You may say; "because they need it?" Well, not because you ask them to , just to help you, and that is how that sounds.

Some quick suggestions;

1. ALWAYS think about your prospect...NOT you. Really try to help them with their problems and become the PROBLEM SOLVER, the expert, the one that people come to for insurance needs.

2. Initially (the first time that you meet them) never ask anyone to buy from you. Simply work what you do into the conversation and leave your card.

3. If there is any interest...then ask for their information; full name, address, phone number, etc....at least their name and phone number. Then the next day call and make an appointment THAT is convenient to them...not you.

4. Always......even in the first meeting and especially in latter meetings...ASK QUESTIONS about them, GET THEM TO TALK ABOUT THEMSELVES, find out what their concerns are about life insurance. And at first, life insurance does not have to totally envelope the conversation

5. Take notes during your sales presentation. You will need them and it will impress the prospect that you are detailed and you really care about getting everything correct, AND that you care about them too.

I sold insurance for 2 1/2 years, I was an introvert (shy) I forced myself and I studied every professional sales person that I could get my hands on. Eventually, I was very successful, I became that person that I wanted and needed to be. Honestly, most people are going to know that you are relatively new and they will sympathize and most will even help you some in the beginning, this is very true.

Take a deep breath and ask yourself what is the worst that can happen to me? I will throw up? Well maybe, then use that to make them laugh or feel sorry for you ha ha. It WILL get easier each time that you do it, BUT the catch is... do it.

At first most new insurance salespeople need experience and the feeling of accomplishment... and they sell a policy to their family and/or friends... if it is good insurance then they probably need it anyway... AND you will get experience...

Also I might suggest that you practice in front of a mirror and/or to a friend... give your whole presentation and ask your friend to ask you questions and you answer them. This will help at also.

Once you get your feet wet you will be surprised how much you know and how good you really are.

Don't be afraid (at first) to tell a person that you may not know the answer to a question that they may have and that you will write it down and for sure get back to them with the right answer, because it is important to you and them.

I hope that I helped you some, please let me know,

Stringer
    Revathi061cs161 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Hi parimala,I am revathi doing my Bacheler degree.. When I noticed your query I really want to suggest something for U... Because I also scattered lot and afraid of getting negative feedback from others... But I overcome those things and improved myself confidence through continues reading...
    First you should accept yourself as you are.. you should affirm only positive things to you.. you should only visualize the things which you want to happen..
    Discouragements are part of life... It will help you to improve if you take it positively.. If you fear at them they won't allow you to grow... Respect yourself and everyone... You should respond to others feedback.. But you should not be reactive... Try to understand the purpose of the insurance and your role..
    Read books on HOW TO BE PROACTIVE,. And GOPINATH'S "Please dont buy this book" in tamil... Since these books help me in the beginning stages... YOU WILL SURELY WIN IF YOU CHANGE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS... Best Of Luck my Friend...
    warrxior Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 06:03 PM
    I think we all face this problem. You can read all the books you want, but it all comes down to one simple fact: you have to believe in yourself. Confidence will allow you to avoid all these negative thoughts. Could a musician play an instrument if they worried about every single note? You have to just let yourself go and go with the flow. It is proven that if you don't feel confident, people will pick up on this and react differently to you. If you are confident, you are allowed to make mistakes. When you are trying to sell something to someone just repeat in your head 'I will make you <ahref="http://www.buylife-insurance.com">buy life insurance</a>', and it will all flow from within.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to pay income tax of life insurance payouts?

Life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find if my deceased father had any life insurance

Life Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering what if any, does the person who receives the life insurance money have to do. Here's the run down. My Grandmother passed away in early dec 06. My grandpa thought because they had been married and she had told him that her life insurance was in his name that he would be getting...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is very ill. She is a single mom with 2 kids, one who is 18. She has an insurance policy and would like to make sure the proceeds go to her children but in trust for them until 21. Need advice on how to set up proceeds from insurance proceeds as outlined above.

View more questions Search