Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagriffin09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
    What are my chances of getting pregnant?
    Hi,
    My husband and I have just recently decided to start a family, and I've never been pregnant before so I'm not really sure what to be looking for.. My last period was August 26th and we had sex on the 6th and 7th I had heard that your fertile time is between 14 to 16 days after your last period so I just want to know what my odds are. I'm a vet tech and I deal with a lot or hazardous things at work and just want to know if I should start taking precautions... thanks.:rolleyes:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Always take precautions... vet tech or not. Start taking prenatal vitamins now. You need your folic acid BEFORE you get pregnant.

Now, are your periods regular? You heard that the fertile periods are between 14-16 days. This is just an average for regular women. It is not a hard and fast rule.

Considering you just started trying for a family I want to warn you not to get worried each month when mother nature appears. It can take a year or longer of active trying for women to become pregnant.
    eagriffin09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 07:43 PM

Yes I have a regular period, I'm only 21 and I was just hoping that this would be kind of easy.. know what I meen?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Easy, sorry had to giggle a bit... not to be rude, but getting pregnant is not as easy as one would think.

We ovulate ONE day a month, that egg is viable for fertilization 24-32 hours after ovulation. It takes up to 3 or 4 days for the sperm to reach the egg to be fertilized, if you have sex the DAY of your ovulation the egg is no longer viable for fertilization once the sperm reaches the egg.

Having sex as early as 5 days before expected ovulation is better than the day OF ovulation.

Whether we tend to believe it or not, conception is a science and does not happen as easily as most people think.
    laurendobbs Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 03:46 PM

I used to be very irregular with my periods but within the past year they have become every 28 days. I conceived my child the day I got OFF my period in June. Since you are wanting to start a family and want it to be "easy" I would ehmm.. play the baby making game as much as possible.. But J_9 is always right you need to start taking prenatal vitamins and also see your doctor first he would be able to give you more information as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chances of getting pregnant [ 8 Answers ]

When I asked my physician if I could get pregnant while on birth control her words to me were "No. It is impossible because the medicine doesn't let you ovulate". Though I found this to be an arrogant answer (no method is 100% other than abstinance) I believed I was safe for the most part. My...

What are the chances I'm pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

I am on birth control, yasim. And I forgot to take the last two active pills before the off week, and I had sex, and I'm just wondering if those 2 days off, which put me 2 days behind (as far as getting the hormones in my system)before I could start my next pack, which is today, I was wondering ifI...

What are my chances of being pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I had implantation bleeding. I satrted my monthly on Jan. 2 ended on jan 6. Started brown spotting on jan 8th, which is 2 days after I ended my monthly. And if it is not implantation bleeding, then does implantation bleeding only happen when you ovalate?

I am 17 and want to no what my chances are of being pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

The first day of my last period was November 24th and I just had sex without any form of protection 3 days ago(december 17th) and I was wanting to no what are my chances of being pregnant because I a SUPER DUPER scared and stressed out about it even though its only been two weeks... I've been on...

Chances of being pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 4 months now, last week I forgot to take one active pill from the third week (which would be the last week of the active pills) and I took it either a little less or slightly more than 12 hours later. Following the directions from the pamphlet I took the next...

View more questions Search