Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rancher23 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Toro Zero turn battery problems
    What would cause my Toro Zero turn mower to start fine one time then the next time not start because the battery is too low. Once it is charged it is fine, but won't seem to hold the charge. Also it is a new battery and I charged it to 100 percent before using it.

Thanks,

Tim Fairfield
    [email protected]
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 08:52 PM

It appears that you have some kind of drain on battery. Disconnect the negative battery cable between uses and see if the battery remains charged.

Aug 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Still won't start? Could solenoid be bad? With a fully charged Battery still will barely turn engine. Then saw smoke around solenoid. What's next?

Thanks for your help.

Aug 30, 2009, 03:09 PM

Failing the smoke test is a good indication that an electrical part is faulty. I would say solenoid is shot. Check all electrical connections at solenoid.

Aug 30, 2009, 04:15 PM
    The only thing that I can hear click now is the solenoid. But nothing on the engine turns at all. Is there a way to by pass the solenoid to see if the starter will start the engine?

Thanks,

Aug 30, 2009, 04:34 PM

A direct connection between the battery and the starter will spin the starter. If there is a mechanical linkage between the solenoid and the starter it probably won't engage the starter gear with the engine flywheel. If there is no mechanical linkage it will probably turn the engine.

Aug 30, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Tried disconnecting the solenoid from the starter, then connecting the negative to the battery with no positive on the battery. Then put a jumper cable from the positive battery terminal and the starter turned the key nothing.

Reconnected positive cable from battery to solenoid then connected solenoid to the starter and tried the jumper cable the only thing that does anything seems to be the solenoid. When I turn the key on it makes a thunk sound the another when I turn the key off.

Is it time to take it somewhere or can I still fix it?

If it is the starter, How much should one cost?

Thanks for all your help.

Aug 30, 2009, 09:13 PM

Is the solinoid on the starter or some where else?

Aug 31, 2009, 05:42 AM
    The solenoid is bolted to the bottom of the frame between the battery and the starter. I have the battery under the seat and a short maybe 10 to 12 inch cable from positive on the battery to the solenoid then another short cable from the other side of the solenoid to the starter which is hanging on the side of the motor. The motor is a 14.5 horse Briggs & Stratton.

Aug 31, 2009, 03:00 PM

Connect jumper cable to positive post and to the other side of solenoid, the side with the cable going to the starter.

When you turn the key to start,you energize the solenoid which then connects the battery to the starter. This way you are bypassing the solenoid and connecting the battery directly to the starter. The negative of the battery must of course be connected to the frame.

Replacing the solenoid should require removing the electrical connections and the mounting bolts. Starters usually have two mounting bolts and the connection of the cable from the solenoid. Replacing both should be quite simple, however it always seem that you have to remove something else to get to what you have to replace. Just Murphy's law.

Sep 1, 2009, 07:05 AM
    I'll give that a try tonight when I get home from work. But I have one question about the seat. There is a 2 wire connector plugged into the bottom of the seat and the only way to work on the battery, solenoid and the starter is to work with the seat up.
    Obviously this is some kind of safety feature while you are operating the mower. Will it cause any problems while I am trying what you told me to try or is there a way to jumper the switch and bypass so I can work on it with the seat up or is it no problem working with the seat up and trying what you asked me to try.

Thanks for all your help.

Sep 1, 2009, 07:28 PM

No problem with seat safety switch. You are making a direct connection to the starter. Nothing else matters. The mower won't start but the starter should turn if it is not defective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toro Zero turn w/ 16 hp Briggs and Stratton [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Toro Zero turn 4200 with a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I have had the mower 4 seasons. When I try to start it the motor gets to the compression stroke and will not go any further. Sometimes if I turn it back and try again it will go past, pick up some momentum and fire up. I am not...

Toro carburator problems ? [ 2 Answers ]

Electric start cranks and makes whirring sound but mower won't turn over.

Toro mower won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro auto drive that will not turn off when the handle is released. Any suggestions?

Toro zero turn electric clutch clicks won't start [ 1 Answers ]

All safety switchs working I saw aspark come from the clutch so I shut it off would not start so checked around and found a blown fuse replaced it now all it does is click at the electric clutch please help

Toro rider slows in drive, then won't start, wheels don't turn [ 1 Answers ]

I was mowing today when my Toro wheel horse rider model 70040 (electric start) began to slow down. I was driving along in 4th gear, and I noticed it was going pretty slow, it felt more like 2nd. I stopped, backed up, thinking there may have been something under me slowing me down, and it reversed...

View more questions Search