Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Igo4walks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Aggressive dog in neighborhood
    We moved into this neighborhood a few months ago. I was excited to have a place to walk and push my kids in the stroller. Unfortunately, one woman in the neighborhood doesn't have a fenced yard and lets her little poodley type dogs bark and chase us down the street. One of them is very aggressive and actually bit me once on the back of the leg as I was walking away. The owner is aware but only makes excuses for them. What can I do to deter these dogs from barking and chasing us?
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Aug 26, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Did you tell your neighbor that her dog actually bit you? What was her response?

Most cities/towns have leash laws where dogs are concerned. They must be on a leash or fenced in somehow. Check with the laws in your city and find out what they are. It's outrageous that her dogs are running free. If you want to do the neighborly thing, let her know what the laws are and that you feel unsafe or under siege when you walk past her house. Her desire to let her dogs run does not trump your right to walk through your neighborhood safely.

If you want to skip the neighborly thing, just report her to animal control or the police. After she receives a few hefty fines for not confining her dogs (this will require you reporting these events), she will likely build a fence or tie the dogs up.

Good luck...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 08:03 AM

Wow, just because it's only a poodle doesn't mean it should not be controlled.

It makes me angry when people make sure they have their 'big dogs' well behaved because they can do damamge and let their little chihuahua's bite people and think it's "cute"

Can you talk to the lady about her dog?
    Or have you tried to already?

Most places it is illegal to have your dog roaming the streets off-leash.

If she does not do soething about her dog then the only thing you can do is call animal control and get them to rectify the problem.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 08:03 AM

Beat me to it Ren haha
    Had to spread the rep though!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Aug 26, 2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, you need to report these little terrors to animal control. I doubt you are the only person these dogs are attacking and they could do more serious damage to a small child.

It is not okay for someone to not be able to walk themselves or their children down the street for fear of being bitten by rogue pets.

Aug 27, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off-base. She is completely aware of their behavior. She has on three occasions run out into the street yelling to chase them back inside but they completely ignore her and just get more hyped up. She told me once that they bark because they just want my "attention". Some people think their pets can do no wrong. I can understand a dog protecting its' yard, but this one runs into the street and chases you for about 1/2 a block. And you never know when they will be outside. I considered buying an ultrasonic noise device to take with me when I walk. Maybe I should report her, though, for the sake of everyone else in the neighborhood.

Aug 27, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off-base. She is completely aware of their behavior. She has on three occasions run out into the street yelling to chase them back inside but they completely ignore her and just get more hyped up. She told me once that they bark because they just want my "attention". Some people think their pets can do no wrong. I can understand a dog protecting its' yard, but this one runs into the street and chases you for about 1/2 a block. And you never know when they will be outside. I considered buying an ultrasonic noise device to take with me when I walk. Maybe I should report her, though, for the sake of everyone else in the neighborhood.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 05:21 AM

If she knows what they are doing then I think morally you have every right to report her.

Hopefully a visit from the authorities telling her to keep her dogs under control will get her into gear and she will actually fix the problem.

She probably does think that they are just sayng "hello" but that is just not right, especially with young children, they can easily develop a fear of dogs because of this.

Let us know how everything goes, I hope you can sort it out.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Report them, try to get an idea of how long it takes them to give her a citation, so you might know when it's safe and also if it looks like she is going to abide by the law.

Wear long pants.

Carry a spray bottle (that works good) filled with water on your stroller, set on 'stream' aim for the little fuzzy face and say 'NO'

We have a little dog that roams the neighbor hood, but she's nice and I'm afraid to report her, because I think the owners would just let the pound keep her.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Next time you walk, carry an umbrella and open it right when the dogs are at you. I'll bet they don't do it again. I've seen it work several times before. I was a surveyor for 16 years, and was actually bitten at work seven times.Don't be fooled by the little poodley dogs. .
    Two Standard poodles almost ate me alive. I thought since they were all trimmed up, and nails painted pink, that they were harmless. HA! I know Shaz has some. I'll bet they are protective.
    Anyway, try the umbrella trick. Or if you have to, use ammonia and water in a spray bottle. I hate to be ugly to dogs, but they have no business in the street, coming after you. Much less biting you. I would check with the local law enforcement office about leash laws.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Just water might do it, ammonia/water will make the owner come after you just like it was something harmful. Try an aromatic spray that sounds innocuous but works, like banana oil (They use this to test Gas masks, it's STRONG) The dogs' noses will be out of commission for about three days. Cheap perfume in a spray bottle works, too.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Just water might do it, ammonia/water will make the owner come after you just like it was something harmful. Try an aromatic spray that sounds innocuous but works, like banana oil (They use this to test Gas masks, it's STRONG) The dogs' noses will be out of commission for about three days. Cheap perfume in a spray bottle works, too.
    If the owner laughed at me Cats, I would spray him too.

Where do they sell banana oil?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    If the owner laughed at me Cats, I would spray him too.

Where do they sell banana oil?
    I didn't mean going after the OP with laughter, I meant with a rake.

Banana oil can be picked up at Industrial safety retailers or Caribbean food retailers.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2009, 03:49 PM

I use peppermint aromatherapy oil in my spray bottle. My dogs associate the smell of mint with the word NO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Checking out the neighborhood [ 2 Answers ]

We are going to buy a house My question Is How I now the security Of the area if it is safe or not? There's any link or website that can I use to check ?

My toddler gets left out of all the neighborhood fun. Why? [ 8 Answers ]

This is my first question/posting on this site. So, today (and a couple other times in the last few months) I came home in tears because the neighbor kids were being rude to my son and not including him in their fun. My son is almost three, and the other kids on our block range from 2-9 yrs...

What a neighborhood [ 1 Answers ]

Devotion Dave went on a business trip for a few days. When he returned, his wife reported that the dog really missed him. "She spent every night at the front door, waiting for you to come home," she said. "What an example of devotion," Dave replied. "I wonder if you'd be that concerned...

View more questions Search