Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cp0421 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
    No water coming out of my shower, but the water comes out of the tub spout.
    Help!

I have had no problem with my shower for the past month I've lived here. This morning I got up to shower and the water comes out of the tub but when I turn the knob to switch over to the shower absolutely nothing comes out. I have had no problems with water pressure so I don't think it is an issue with buildup. I have a shower hose with a head attached to that.

I unscrewed the hose to see if water would come out of the wall or if the blockage was in the hose. When I turned on the water relatively high, some water trickled out with much less pressure.

I took the hose into my kitchen to see if it was clear and I could send water straight through it. So there is no block in the hose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Please give us more details. Brand name of the faucet? One handle or three knobs? What does the hose connect to? Can you take a picture? Back to you. Tom

Aug 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Thanks Tom!

I can't seem to find any brand names on the fixtures. There are 3 knobs (hot, switch to shower, cold) going across above the faucet part.

The shower head is similar to this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gnLFgcEiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There is a thin pipe coming out of the wall, connected to a hose which is about 5-6 feet long then to the shower head. I don't have the ability to post a picture online at this time.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Shut the water off and remove the center diverter stem.(see image) Check and replace the washers if needed. Now turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the valve. Reassemble and test. Better now?
    Good luck, Tom

Aug 25, 2009, 07:32 AM
    WOW -- Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again Speedball -- as I began to take things apart I noticed that the little screw on the outside of the knob was way loose. Upon tightening it up the shower worked!!

Thanks again :)
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 26, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Thanks for the update. Glad you're all fixed up. Regards, Tom

Aug 26, 2009, 05:50 AM
    ... And apparently it was a false alarm... looked great last night... but I didn't practice taking a shower.

Got up this morning and went to get in... the shower pressure looks fine, but is actually way low... and the temperature wasn't consistent... I had the water on full blast out of the tub spout at one point and when I turned the diverter, it was like a light rain instead of shower pressure.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 26, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Go back to my earlier post and Pull the diverter stem and washer assembly. Good luck, Tom

Aug 26, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Followed your lead, Tom, and there was a screw on the back of the diverter way loose... all is well on the shower front.

Thank you once again!!
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
    And "once again" you're very welcome. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water in my shower will not switch from the shower head to the tub spout? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a small home, that I am getting ready to rent out the problem is I get water from the shower head just fine, but I get not water from the tub spout, any ideas?

Too much water coming from the spout and not enough from the shower head [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my shower. I have a shower/bath tub combo in my bathroom. Recently I noticed that when I try to pull the shower diverter on the spout to take a shower barely any water goes to my shower head and most of it comes out of the spout. I have no idea what to do to fix it. ...

No hot water from thermostatic mixer shower. Hot water coming from all other taps. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Yesterday out of the blue my mixer shower went cold. All the other taps in the house have hot water and the boiler seems fine. The hot pipe leading to the shower is still hot it just doesn't seem to be coming through. This is the shower I've got.. Homebase - Make a House a Home Any...

No cold water coming out of shower, only hot water. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a guest bathroom that really doesn't get used very often. I went to use it this weekend and there isn't any cold water coming out of the shower, only hot water. What can I do to get the cold water to work. I have company coming in and they will need to use the shower.

Water coming out of spout in tub after diverted to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am sorry if this question has been asked. I am having problems with my tub/shower. I am not sure the brand on my bathtub faucet but it has one knob that controls hot and cold, on/off. The spout has a ring that you pull down on to divert the water to the shower head. If the water is on cold,...

View more questions Search