Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Udontnome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
    TN Unemployment Appeals Process
    I lost my job back in February and immediately filed for unemployment. It was denied. I appealed that decision to the Appeals Tribunal. That got denied. I hired a lawyer and took my case to the Board of Review. We filed on May 19. I still have not heard a thing. My lawyer said there is nothing we can do but wait. He told me the Board does not answer to anyone and they do not have to make a decision in a timely manner. Really? Is that true? That is messed up.

Of course, there is a whole lot more to this story, but this is my concern right now. The Board of Review is part of the Tennessee Department of Workforce and Labor Development. In June, my lawyer called the clerk (there is a docket #) and they said they were running 5-7 weeks behind. Three days ago, he called again and they told him they were running 8-10 weeks behind. Theoretically, my case should have came and gone. I can't seem to get any answers about what the hell is taking them so long. I understand they are backed up, but I have not wasted any time and have filed my claims on time, beginning back in February.

Is there anyone who knows about this appeals process, the board of review and anyone I can talk to find out how long this will take? I am in Tennessee, so I am dealing with state government--I THINK!!

Any answers are appreciated!

--STILL Broke and Frustrated in Tennessee!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 11:30 AM

Hello U:

The only way the bureaucratic process can be sped up is if a squeaky wheel gets greased... Your lawyer is the guy who is supposed to DO that, instead of making excuses why he shouldn't even try.

I'm sure HE eats well every night.

excon
    Bethany1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Girl the whole Tennessee Unemployment System is messed up I'm going to share what I know about it I hope this helps hit me back if you have any more questions if you loose your job or you can't find any work or you haven't been working because there is no work there is just not enough help for people who aren't working they really need to fix these problems and stop talking about it and fix the its so much that needs to be fixed in this economy and I'm tired of hearing about it lets do something about it and I thought that Recovery Act was going to help the Unemployment System not really president Obama only changed some minor minor things in his bill which I thought was upset about that the Unemployment System has traps everywhere for you to fall in they are forever trying to stop your claim for some reason and its like they favor toward the employer more then the employee if you get fired from a job I feel like they take up with the employer and just believe them I mean people do lie an they fire you and lie about it and that's one thing that really needs to be fixed when you get fired from a job they just do do you wrong at the unemployment office and its sad because maybe your manager just doesn't like you and lies and says you stole something just to get you fired I feel like the unemployment office believes it and that is just not right people do lie and that's where the Unemployment Law needs to change I mean your employer(your job) still has a job they still have money you are the one asking for government money I mean dame you would think the unemployment office would get that it doesn't matter if you got fired or laid off you are not there and its not because of you I mean you still wanted the job and needed the job and that's all that should matter its sad people have to go through this at a time like this people have kids,bills etc. it really makes me sick to my stomach that nothing is being done about it just sorry sorry that is what it is I filed a claim and its been one month and 2 weeks if you have to go through this much to get a check there is a serious problem with this system and it needs to be fixed instead of going through all this mail out when you first call they should disapprove or approve you because you have to go through the claims center, then your claim goes through a judicator that's too much are they trying to create jobs here? What about us having to wait you can't make your bills wait 3 weeks while they are taking all day on your claim Then your employer has 15 dame days to respond to it dame did you get 15 days before you got fired everything is in favor with your employer and they have all these hidden traps everywhere for you to up at good luck I'm still waiting for the first letter and then another thing you would think since they took 2 months they would approve the people are waiting this long to get disapprove they need to fix the Unemployment Law I'm telling you
    MsKriss3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2009, 10:49 AM
    I really hate that you have to go through this. I had an individual to come in my face and fight me for nothing. How about the next day I was fired and they decided to keep the person that I was in a fight with. My former boss told me that three weeks prior to the fight, the other party filed a complaint on me and my former boss asked her have I said anything out of the way or assaulted her in any way and she told him no. He failed to say anything because all he wanted was some from her and I was told not to come in that store and shop anymore because it would be a conflict of interest. No they did that because they knew that they were going to keep her there. However, she does work for another company, so I guess their rules about fighting on the job is different from mine. I gave this lousy company that I used to work for four years of my precious time, and this chick comes in for six months and they just singing her praises. Anyway I filed for unemployment and was denied. I went for my appeal hearing in June. The store manager (female) and the assistant manager was there. The store manager lied like there was no tomorrow saying that she fired me before which was NOT true and bringing in a lot of hearsay, which the acting judge was not having. I explained my case about not knowing anything about a complaint that the woman had filed on me and forgot to tell the judge that this person is still working, doing nothing. I left the hearing, confident that I had explained everything carefully only to get a letter in three days saying that they denied me. I was offered to write another appeal, so I did and it has been close to two months now and I am still awaiting a response. I have another job and everything, but they need to pay me the money that is owed to me. I mean it is mine. I would love to file a suit against the company for improper termination/pain and suffering because that was wrong and soooooooooooooooooooooo many customers ask about me. It's a shame.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 06:25 PM

Unemployed people are filing at record numbers, and the states are cutting back, so less people have do process more people, so yes back logs are getting worst and worst.

And in many cases, as in giving notice ( you were quitting) so wh should you expect to get unemployment. Quiting ( makes it hard to prove cause, unless you have good evidence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Appeals process [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to appeal a plea agreement in South Carolina, If so how long is it. Thanks

Probation TransferAppeals Process [ 7 Answers ]

I moved to South Carolina as Sept. 07 and have been down here since. I relocated from NY to take a job here. The day before I left for South Carolina, I attended a going away party from work there, and subsequently had a few too many, chose to drive, and got a DWI. Second within ten years in NY is...

Unemployment Appeals [ 2 Answers ]

I have an unemployment appeals coming up. I was fired because I had a critically ill sibling in south america in a coma. I am the only member of family fluent in spanish and I also work as a spanish interpreter. My disabled mother whom I live with had to be accompanied to south america so that she...

Appeals Process: [ 6 Answers ]

Many convicted felons who are given death sentences live on death row for upwards to twelve years. And we pay for their survival needs. This, folks, is not acceptable. Can the appeals process be shortened? Jeff :mad:

Effects of new Limitations Act on Appeals? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a breach of contract lawsuit dismissed for want of prosecution in 1992. The lawsuit took place in Ontario. Can this suit be appealed when I die and my estate is probated? Am I protected by the new Statute of Limitation law in Ontario? Thank you for any help you can provide, I am trying to...

View more questions Search