Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bahomeowner Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 12:56 AM
    Gas line pressure testing for inspection
    Hello All

I had got a permit to extend my existing gas line to my kitchen so that I can change my stove from electric to gas. I got the plumber to get the new line to the kitchen. Once the new line was completed, I shutdown the values of the gas to other appliances in the house.

I got a new gas gauge to check if the gas line holds to 10PSI as per the code. When I plugged in the gauge to the new gas line and opened the main gas value, I checked with my plumber to see if there are any gas leaks using soap+water and there was no leaks on the new pipes.

But when I checked the gas gauge, it remained at 0 PSI. I pressed on the knob on the side of the gas gauge and I could smell the gas flowing into the gauge.

Can someone please tell me how to go about the gas pressure testing procedure that needs to be done for inspection?

I checked couple of discussions and I would like to confirm if my understanding is right.

1. Pump up the gauge to 10 PSI by injecting air via the small knob with the help of the hand pump (which we use for pumping air into the tires of the car or any other vehicle).
    2. Once the pressure reaches 10PSI. close the knob and connect the gas gauge to the gas line (after shutting down the gas value)
    3. Once the gauge is connected, open the gas value and check if the gauge holds steady at 10PSI for the next 10-15mins with the inspector onsite.
    4. Check for leaks on the existing gas pipe for any leakages.

If these steps are right, how does the gauge remain at 10PSI, after I pumped air in it? I mean how do we know that the gas flow is keeping the 10 PSI and not the air I had previously pumped in via the air hand pump to keep it at 10PSI in the first place?

Please let me know your comments and thoughts and let me know your suggesstions.

Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 05:08 AM

You turn off the gas valve, either at the meter or where it comes into the house. Also turn off the valves at any other gas appliances you have. Install the gauge onto the line. Pump up the pressure on the line to the required pressure. Wait for the inspector. You don't open the gas valve. The gas line has only about 2 or 3 lbs of pressure on it. If you open the valve at the meter, the air you put in your piping will simply go up the gas line and the pressure will return to the 2 or 3 lbs. of the system. I don't know what kind of gauge set up you purchased but it sounds like you have a gauge, a valve for pressurizing, and a shut off valve. Install the gauge on the system, open the shut off valve and then pressurize the entire system.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Hi all:

When testing gas at 10 PSI you need to DISCONNECT the gas meter and spin it so the meter bar outlet can be capped/plugged. If you don't do this, most likely, the diaphragm at the meter will burst due to the excessive pressure introduced... remember, these meters are only meant to carry 1/2 PSI... ;)

Then you are supposed to disconnect all the other appliances at the union fittings and cap off each line. Why? The same reason as above... at 10 PSI if a shutoff fails it could blow the diaphragm of the gas valve at the appliance... an expensive mistake to fix if it occurs!

Then you would install a shutoff and then the test appuratus at the appliance/piping to be tested.

With the shutoff open, pump the pressure to 10 PSI and then shut the shutoff off. Wait 10 minutes and open the shutoff... any change in the reading on the gauge? If so, a leak is present and will need to be found by pumping the pressure to say 25 PSI and then soaping all up to find it.

Be careful NOT to pump the pressure up with the shutoff closed as that will simply blow the gauge... always check to be sure the shutoff is open.

Anyway, that's how we test here in Boston where we are all licensed plumbers and licensed gas fitters.

Let us know if you have questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Aug 24, 2009, 06:33 AM

Mark

Since he is really only testing the additional piping, can he just turn off the valve where the line comes into the house?
    I guess a better question would be, shouldn't the plumber doing the work have set this up?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Hi Harold

The main gas shutoff is installed on the inlet piping to the gas meter. In this case, if he only shuts the inlet shutoff he would be testing right through the gas meter (via the outlet piping) and at 10 PSI could burst the diaphragm as mentioned. There is almost never a shutoff on the outlet side of the meter. If there was an outlet shutoff then shutting this would work fine... as long as the shutoff gets completely closed off and even that is a bit of a guess with older shutoffs so we are taught to ALWAYS disconnect the meter. Fact is that if a gas company determines that a diaphragm got burst due to excessive pressure then the homeowner or plumber pays for it.

I know this all sounds like overkill, but it is how to test a gas system at any pressure without blowing the diaphrams to any gas meters or gas valves... ;)

For example, if he determined a leak is present using this method of testing, then he could simply pump pressure up to 25 or even 50 or more PSI with no concern for hurting any appliances.

I really only wanted to present a correct testing method for future readers... :)

I would also agree that the plumber should have performed this test!

Have a great day! Off and running here...

MARK

Aug 24, 2009, 11:40 AM

Hi All

Just want to recap what I had seen in this discussion. Many thanks to Mark, Harold for valuable inputs.

1. Shutdown the values to all the appliances in the house including the new gas line to kitchen.
    2. Shutdown the main gas value.
    3. Connect the gas pressure gauge to the gas line.
    4. Pump in up to 10PSI on the gauge from the knob provided on the gauge.
    5. Verify if the gauge is holding good at 10PSI.
    6. Open the main gas valve to the house.
    7. Open the gas valve of the kitchen and check if the pressure is holding good at 10PSI for 10-15 minutes
    8. Check for leaks on the line.
    9. Open the gas valves to other appliances to see if the gas pipe is not leaking else where.
    10. Once the gas pipes are checked and verified for no leaks, then shutdown the gas valve on the kitchen and remove the gas pressure gauge and connect the new cooking appliance to the gas pipe.

Aug 24, 2009, 12:01 PM

NO,NO,NO.

Do not open valve to meter with 10 lbs of pressure on piping.
    Mark has just explained that that much pressure will damage meter.

You can only do this if you have a shut off valve between you and the meter. In other words only if you have valve to turn off gas inside the house. And only if you have valves at each appliance to turn off gas to that appliance.

You are pressurizing the piping, the piping only, to see if you have a leak.

Are you doing this for an inspection or for your own satisfaction?

Aug 24, 2009, 12:21 PM

Hello Harold

I am doing this for getting the inspection ready scheduled this week.

I have a shut-off valve on the new gas line along with individual valves to the other appliances (water heater/central air).

Sorry for being such a novice in this, but can you please tell me step by step instructions that I need to follow for getting ready for inspection.

Thanks
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:38 PM
    No Problem...

Most important here is to stop mixing the gas and air... not necessary and will damage something costly if you keep doing it!

Follow this list and you should be all set:

1) Disconnect the meter from the meter bar and cap the outlet as directed at post #3... see image again. This is critical to success.

2) Disconnect all union fittings to each gas appliance and cap these (remove the 1/2 union fitting and cap line). You could also shut off the shutoffs, but as stated earlier, if you have a leak past a shutoff it could damage a gas valve or even damage the appliance.

3) Install test apparatus with shutoff and gauge at new piping to appliance.

4) Pump the system up to 10 PSI and hold for 20 minutes. Once confirmed all is OK you will need to schedule for inspection.

5) Pump system back uyp and stand for inspection... pass inspection... ;)

6) After the inspector signs off on the test you can depressurize the system by opening the shutoff at the appliance and removing the test apparatus (do this slowly).

7) Reconnect the gas meter and all the appliances (or turn on shutoffs you shut off).

8) Double check all connections that you disturbed to be sure ALL unions/fittings have been re-tightened.

9) Turn on gas at gas meter now.

10) Bleed gas off at the farthest appliance by loosening the union fitting until you smell gas (shouldn't take too long). Re-tighten union. This expidites lighting the pilots.

11) Bleed off gas in same manner as above at any appliance you disconnected. Be sure to let gas dissipate before lighting the pilot(s) in next step!

12) Light pilots or test that stoves ignite at each burner, etc.

13) Sit back and have a beer... :) Job well done!

Good luck!

MARK

Aug 24, 2009, 03:03 PM

Show us a picture of you meter. Do you know what union fittings are? Look to see if you have a shut off valve inside the house.

Mark, don't mean to muddy waters but I think he is gong to have trouble capping line at meter. How about detail instructions.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
    I agree Harold... :)

Here is more detailed instructions on capping/plugging meter... see image. Most important with all this is for Bahomeowner to use two wrenches on everything he touches and to also to know if this is over his head... ;)

Thanks...

MARK
    Attached Images

Aug 24, 2009, 04:29 PM

Yes, Maybe he will show us a pic. I just check my meter and I have a union just before it goes through the wall. In my case I would get another union with a nipple and cap. Loosen at the union, swing meter away and plug with spare union , nipple and cap.

Maybe he will have a valve inside and can just turn that off, and disconnect at the meter yoke. I don't have a valve inside but one of my rental properties does. That's why I keep asking "Do you have a shut off valve inside?" A little concerned that the more he un-pipes the more trouble he will have getting everything sealed back up.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 04:38 PM
    Yeah... all good points!

As usual, a bit more to it then it appears! I would really prefer to see his plumber do all this!

Thanks Harold...

Aug 24, 2009, 04:56 PM

Yes, a lot more than it appears. I'm very cautious about gas, don't want to wake up one morning 10,000 feet in the air.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 09:12 PM

Mark,

You stated every thing very well, But one thing that I will ask,after Bleed off gas at every appliance and connected don't you think that a soap+water test be needed it is just a question, Thanks.

John

Mark,

I have seen the leak checks to be done like the picture bellow, what do you think of this, you need to cap all the appliance shut off valves, thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 04:17 AM
    Hi John:

Bahomeowner can install the test apparatus at the meter or the appliance... both work equally well... ;)

In terms of soap testing after bleeding... can't hurt for sure! Most important will be for bahomeowner to use two wrenches at every union and he should be OK!

Thanks...

MARK

Aug 26, 2009, 02:15 PM

Hi All

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy with some stuff around here. So basically I did the following as per your recommendations.

1. shutdown the main gas valve. (Did not remove the flange as I thought I will do a quick test)
    2. removed the gas line from the water heater and central air.
    3. inserted the pressure gauge to the new gas line.
    4. Now I tried to pump the air from the right side as per the above pic.
    5. The air pressure did not go up at all.
    6. I tried this for the close to 30mins.
    7. I could not check for any leaks but I will do it again.
    8. I am attaching the picture of our gas meter.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Tanveer[IMG][IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\traza\Desktop\Picture 022.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Aug 26, 2009, 02:34 PM

Cannot see your picture. It looks like that pic is on your computer and your computer is not available to me.

Post a reply, at least two characters,
    Click on the Go Advanced button.
    Scroll down to management attachment,
    Click on Manage Attachments button,
    Click on Browse. Find pic on your desk top.
    Click on open.
    Click on upload.
    Click on Submit Answer

Aug 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Attached are the pictures. Can you please take a look at it and let me know your comments...
    Attached Images

Aug 26, 2009, 05:54 PM

I think it would be best if you called your plumber back and had him set up the test and call for the inspection. There is just too much un-piping at the meter for you to do. Even if you successfully disconnected the piping form the meter and capped the line you would have to reconnect every thing and there are to many places to have a leak. It will cost you for this of courses but there is just too much risk. By the time you purchase the tools and material to seal off the piping you will have spent 50% of what the plumber will charge you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure Testing an new underground gas line [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in the process of adding a new coated 1/2" natural gas line underground to a patio area. I wanted to pressure test it before I bury it and I cannot seem to find the leak. I have a gas pressure valve from Home Crapo that goes up to 15psi. I filled the pipes up with this on and...

Gas line testing [ 3 Answers ]

What are the basic requirements for testing propane gas lines. What pressure do you have to use and for how long? I have a new propane fireplace. The propane company will not deliver because they say there is a leak, but the installers say they tested the system and show no leaks. Each side has...

Pressure testing gas line [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new LP gas line into my basement. I have the line run and have a pressure tester connected to the line. I am getting conflicting info on the pressure and time I need to test to. I found an old thread (Aug 2005) on this forum that said 10 psi for 15 minutes. I also found a City...

View more questions Search