Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nor14 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Beam size to replace load-bearing wall
    Okay, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to open up a room in my basement. It is currently a 16 ft wide wall with a single doorway in it. It is a load-bearing wall. I'd like to open up the doorway to about 10'6" width.

The wall supports the floor above, and there is another load-bearing wall on the first floor above it that extends to the 2nd floor ceiling. I believe the roof is supported by the exterior walls. This wall runs perpendicular from the front of the house with the joists running parallel to the front. The interesting thing is beyond this wall towards the back of the house, the joists switch direction and run towards the back of the house. I'm not sure if this plays into the calculations but I thought it was noteworthy.

I found this website that has sizing charts and page 6 seems to be close to my situation, but I'd like to hear what knowledgeable people think about it: http://www.slumber.com/lumber_wood/d.../Microllam.pdf

Beyond beam size, I'm also wondering what kind of vertical support the beam would require. If I left out any details that would help, let me know.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 12:24 PM

When you say "beam" is this steel or wood?
    If it's a more modern house then the wall there may just be a fill in to cover steel beam. If so and it has steel post buried in the wall then the wall would not be likely to be a bearing wall and just a partition under the beam. Check and get back.

Aug 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
    I've opened up the wall already... it's 2x6's under overlapping joists. I'm thinking LVL header to replace studs.

Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    When you say "beam" is this steel or wood?
    If its a more modern house then the wall there may just be a fill in to cover steel beam. If so and it has steel post buried in the wall then the wall would not be likely to be a bearing wall and just a partition under the beam. Check and get back.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 07:04 PM

Is there any support columns under that beam down the wall? How old is the house?
    Its very unusual to set a wood or steel beam and then put a full studed wall under it before you build the house. Never saw it done yet.

Aug 24, 2009, 06:18 AM
    I'm sorry I didn't make it easier to understand. There is NO beam in the wall right now. It's just a stud wall. The house is 12 years old. My question is what size of beam do I need to replace the stud wall with a 10'6" opening.

Is there any support columns under that beam down the wall? How old is the house?
    Its very unusual to set a wood or steel beam and then put a full studed wall under it before you build the house. Never saw it done yet.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I'm sorry I didn't make it easier to understand. There is NO beam in the wall right now.
    Again details left out... Just to clarifie this the wording is NO beam above the wall or in the wall. The floor joists sit directly on the studded wall. The studded wall has a top plate that is doubled up sitting flat under the floor joist.

So which is it??
    Is there a house beam anywhere in the basement?
    What are the floor joist made of?

For a 12 year old house that's really unusual to say the least. All house has some kind of main beam running from end to end unless its all clear span and the joist run from one end of the basement to the other end . The usually requires floor that look like I beams that are Plywood in the middle with 2" or so wood top and bottom.

Need perfect details as we look at it from a side view at the top of the partition wall.

Aug 24, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Okay, I took another look and I was able to locate a beam. It's not near the wall I'm wanting to take down. That wall has a top plate doubled up sitting under 2x10 floor joists.

I've made a diagram that shows the layout. The wall I'm wanting to open up goes from A to B. Hopefully this diagram makes it easier to visualize. There are 3 load bearing walls that I have located. These are shown in my diagram. I've drawn the joist direction in yellow. They overlap over the red wall that I'm wanting to take down.

Again details left out...Just to clarifie this the wording is NO beam above the wall or in the wall. The floor joists sit directly on the studded wall. The studded wall has a top plate that is doubled up sitting flat under the floor joist.

So which is it???
    Is there a house beam anywhere in the basement?
    What are the floor joist made of?

For a 12 year old house thats really unusual to say the least. All house has some kind of main beam running from end to end unless its all clear span and the joist run from one end of the basement to the other end . The usually requires floor that look like I beams that are Plywood in the middle with 2" or so wood top and bottom.

Need perfect details as we look at it from a side view at the top of the partition wall.

Aug 24, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Sorry, the image didn't post. Hopefully this time it will:

Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 05:07 PM

Hi nor. Thanks for the drawing and that helps a lot. The one thing I find odd is way they switched joist patterns. Is there a sunken room there.. Just curious. The other reason I asked this is the builder could have bought another steel beam. Started its bearing point where (B) is and continue it past (A) and terminate it on the outside wall. A sister beam duplicating the other beam direction.

From what I see the wall A -B is a bearing wall. Another way to guarantee that would be if the floor joist overlap ( side to side ) on top of that wall you are working on

An LVL would be in order here. In my area I can go to the lumber yard that makes them and they can size it up for load.

I tried to pull up the PDF file you posted but no go 'Link was broken"

So bottom line is that shows as a bearing wall for the joist above from what I see in layout.

Aug 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Yeah, the link got screwed up by the Ask Me censor. It's D1CK's Lumber, and it took out the D1CK part, leaving slumber.com. It has a good size chart if you know you're load, but that's the part I'm unsure of.

Hi nor. Thanks for the drawing and that helps a lot. The one thing I find odd is way they switched joist patterns. Is there a sunken room there.. Just curious. The other reason I asked this is the builder could have bought another steel beam. Started its bearing point where (B) is and continue it past (A) and terminate it on the outside wall. A sister beam duplicating the other beam direction.

From what I see the wall A -B is a bearing wall. Another way to guarantee that would be if the floor joist overlap ( side to side ) on top of that wall you are working on

An LVL would be in order here. In my area I can go to the lumber yard that makes them and they can size it up for load.

I tried to pull up the PDF file you posted but no go 'Link was broken"

So bottom line is that shows as a bearing wall for the joist above from what I see in layout.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 05:48 PM

screwed up by the Ask Me censor. It's D1CK's Lumber, and it took out the D1CK part
    That's a keeper...

Hi Nor Im, laughing so hard here. I hate when that happens

I have the specks on the basics and how to calculate the floor loads. It can get a little techky but you can come up with the basics. There of course the percentile of added safety in load stress's to go above the specks
    American Wood Council Understanding Loads and Using Span Tables

Aug 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Okay... it was kind of complicated, but what I came up with was a 3-1/2" x 14" LVL would handle the load. Thanks for your help!

Thats a keeper...........

Hi Nor Im, laughing so hard here. I hate when that happens

I have the specks on the basics and how to calculate the floor loads. It can get a little techky but you can come up with the basics. There of course the percentile of added safety in load stress's to go above the specks
    American Wood Council Understanding Loads and Using Span Tables
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 08:42 PM

I said it was a bit techky remember to add some width to the lam for bearing /seating stability. You could possibly use less height of a lamb by using 2 lams by gluing and nailing them together.

Its usually every 12' check with the specks. Doing it that way helps the head room ans give a wider overall beam to balance on the seat.

Glad I could Help and good luck
    ubils Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
    What the saiz beam for double story building?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size beam do I need to replace 16' of a 2x4 wall? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to remove 16 foot of 2x4 wall and replace it with a beam in the attic. The wall is 16" on center. The roof joists are 2x6 and are perpendicular to the wall. The attic is all joists (no trusss). I want to place the beam in the attic on top of the roof joists and use joist hangers to...

Proper sizing a beam to replace a load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to remove 15' of wall between my living room and kitchen. It's the center bearing wall of a two story colonial. On the second floor are bedrooms. The existing floor joists are 2x8's 16" on center. Normal snow load, gable roof bearing on outside walls. Basically I'm supporting the floor...

Header size for load bearing wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live is a colonial 2 story home. I am currently remodeling my kitchen/dining room. I currently have a header of 68 inches on the load bearing wall between my dining room and living room. I want to open that up to 84 inches. Can I use dimensional lumber to frame out the header and if so what...

Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

View more questions Search