Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmwatts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 06:03 AM
    How to remove engine pulley on craftsman lawn tractor
    Hello,

I have a Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor (16 HP, electric start, 42" cutting deck"). The engine pulley which drives the drive belt for the rear wheels and the cutting deck has broken (the lower part of the top pulley broke off). I am trying to remove the engine pulley, but I cannot get the bolt off from underneath which holds the engine pulley on. The main problem I think is that I cannot find a way to keep the pulley wheel from moving when I try to loosen the bolt. I spoke to someone at Sears technical support and they said the bolt should loosen clockwise since the pulley turns counterclockwise.

I have tried WD40 on the bolt to no avail.

How can I get this engine pulley bolt off?

Thanks.
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Aug 23, 2009, 06:37 AM

Is there room for a pipe wrench to hold the pulley while loosening the bolt?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 07:25 AM

Hi,
    An excellent answer there (or question) since a pipe wrench will actually grip tighter when turned the correct direction.
    No amount of WD40 will loosen the bolt. It is torqued in place (an actual stetching of the bolt is what is done.) To illustrate, suppose that it is tightened to 55 ft-lb (a good "ballpark" figure) which is the equivalent of one lb of force of a 55' lever, five lb of force on an 11' lever or 11 lb on a 5' lever.
    The tools used must be able to defeat or counteract this torque, so they must be of sufficient size and strength.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    PS I answered this a couple of days ago:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/tools-...ff-389074.html
    tmwatts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Thanks for the advice.

I did try a pipe wrench to hold the shaft of the pulley, but could not make any progress on loosening the bolt. I also took off the housing to uncover the flywheel, but could not hold the flywheel in place.

I will try to raise the starter pinion to see if that will hold the flywheel in place.
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Aug 23, 2009, 08:37 AM

Chances are starter pinion will not work. Maybe try a helper to hold the flywheel,or the pulley.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 12:44 PM

Hi,
    I was using the rag wedging the teeth of gears over 35 years ago building racing motorcycles (referenced post.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Aug 24, 2009, 05:13 AM
    If you didn't read the link that "crigby" provided, it does say that the best way is to use air tools. I have changed many of these pullies and the air impact wrench has never failed to remove one of these bolts.

And, it does have the normal threads. So, you will need to turn the bolts counter clockwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor engine dies when clutch disengaged [ 2 Answers ]

It starts up just fine. The mower blades are not engaged... but when I let up on the clutch/brake, the engine dies - even when it's in neutral. What is wrong with it?

Craftsman lawn tractor with Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP OHV, Inteck engine [ 4 Answers ]

Engine worked fine last week and for 3 minutes after start this week. Then the engine sound changed. Itd made sounds like metal balls banging around inside. Now it will not start / turn-over. Just the sound of metal balls banging around inside the top of the engine. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Craftsman lawn tractor engine knock on startup [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Craftsman 12 hp Briggs 38 in lawn tractor that has just developed a bad engine knock on starting, and sometimes at shutoff. Knocking goes away once running up to speed, and it seems to run smooth, with good power. Oil level is up, etc. What's the problem, is it a major engine...

Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas And it started to run and...

Craftsman Lawn tractor engine dies [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model #917-257481). The engine dies when I pull out the PTO switch to engage the mower. Have replaced PTO switch and the "clutch" switch. It still does it. I can hear the PTO engage. With the new "clutch" switch installed it also dies when you let out the clutch. I...

View more questions Search