Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toro5702 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Open limit switch on Concord Gas Furnace
    I have a Concord 80 Plus Gas Furnace. I am starting the furnace for the winter and it gives me a LED code of open limit switch or limit switch circuit. Everything seems to work fine up until the point where the blower needs to turn on. I had the same problem last year but got a tech to fix it. I am not sure what he did. Any response would be truly appreciated
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Likely he replaced the limit switch. If you can find the receipt from last year, it may tell, maybe even have a part number. It sounds like something is wrong if it needs a new limit switch again or cleaned. Maybe you need a real tech to adjust the air to gas ratio or something.

Oct 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Thanks for the response but he did not replace anything. I know that for a fact. From what I remember he told me that it was the gas control switch. Supposedly that is what it was. I wasn't there when he got it running right. He told me this afterwards. Well I know I did the same thing last year as I did this year and it is doing the same thing. I know that the gas control switch is on because the burners light up.

If the limit switch is dirty, where is it located and can I clean it? This house was built in 2004 so the furnace is not old.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 06:41 PM
    It sounds like a main limit as Labman pointed out. Limits can become fatigued if they open and close to many times. The tech may have just reset it by tapping on it, if so, the part should have been replaced. Be sure after the limit is replaced you have good airflow and check the temperature rise. Supply air temp' minus return air temp' should be aprox 35-55 degrees on an 80% furnace. The temp rise should be on the nomenclature panel inside the furnace burner compartment. Be sure filters are changed often and all your registers are open and unobstructed.

Oct 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Likely he replaced the limit switch. If you can find the receipt from last year, it may tell, maybe even have a part number. It sounds like something is wrong if it needs a new limit switch again or cleaned. Maybe you need a real tech to adjust the air to gas ratio or something.
    What does the switch look like and where would it be located? Thanks again
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Limit switches used to be short and squat. I think newer ones may be longer and narrower. They are located on the heat exchanger, the tubes the gas flames heat. Should have 2 wires running to the circuit board.
    efr4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by toro5702
    I have a Concord 80 Plus Gas Furnace. I am starting the furnace for the winter and it gives me a LED code of open limit switch or limit switch circuit. Everything seems to work fine up til the point where the blower needs to turn on. I had the same problem last year but got a tech to fix it. I am not sure what he did. Any response would be truly appreciated
    Has anyone answered your question?

Nov 2, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Limit switches used to be short and squat. I think newer ones may be longer and narrower. They are located on the heat exchanger, the tubes the gas flames heat. Should have 2 wires running to the circuit board.
    I believe I found the limit switch. It's a round thing with 2 violet wires and a small hose. How would you go about testing it to see if it works? I can I just connect the 2 violet wires directly while the heater is running to see if the blower turns on?

Nov 2, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by efr4
    Has anyone answered your question?
    No not yet.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Hose? Sounds maybe more like a pressure switch to signal the inducer is on. Perhaps look some more.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2006, 03:53 PM
    The main limit is mounted to the center of the back wall above or below the burners (depending if it's an up or downflow model.) It is a board usually about 2" x 1 1/4" with 2 wires going to it. It will have a part number and temperature rating on it.

Nov 5, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    The main limit is mounted to the center of the back wall above or below the burners (depending if it's an up or downflow model.) It is a board usually about 2" x 1 1/4" with 2 wires going to it. It will have a part number and temperature rating on it.
    I believe I found it. I have a few questions though. Looking at the schematics it says it's the roll-out switch. Is it the same? If so, more or less how much does this part cost? And where can I buy it?
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 01:37 PM
    My guess is $10 or less. If it is a generic switch, a HVAC supply should have it. Otherwise, you may need to see your Concord dealer.
    ks67216 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 04:52 PM

I got the same problem but on one of them the inducer runs and it won't light and it doesn't send voltage to the igniter. On the other one it says something about a pressure switch it gives a code of 2 flashes and nothing runs on this one
    viperman99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Northern Heat, your awesome. Helped me out with my furnace in the cold of the night. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open Limit Switch on B18099-13. Help! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a furnace with the B18099-13 control board. The fan blows constantly whenever power is applied. The status LED on the control board indicates "OPEN LIMIT SWITCH" Where are the two limit switches located? On board or off? Are there any tricks, quick-fixes, or "band-aids" for this...

Furnace Limit Switch [ 15 Answers ]

I've raised this issue in other forums. I have a high efficiency furnace that has worked flawlessly for the last four years (the house was built in 2000). This year we had to have the circuit board replaced. After that there was a problem with the blower, i.e. it wasn't shutting down after the...

What is a limit switch? [ 4 Answers ]

When I woke up this AM my heater was blowing cold air and the fan wouldn't turn off. All other gas appliances, etc. worked fine. The indicator light on my furnace shows an open limit switch, but I have no clue where to even look for this. A little help?

Limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner's pan was full, we emptied it and now it won't cut on. Where is the reset button for the limit switch? Is there one? We can't find it.

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search