Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maredwards850 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 12:33 AM
    My dog pees when approached
    My dog just start this thing where he pees when me or my wife approach him. I walked over to him today and he turned on his back and when I bent down he peed. He's been doing it a lot lately and I'm not sure what to do. Everything I look up talks about what to do when he marks territory but that's not the case I'm trying to figure out how to help him learn he's doing something wrong and get him to stop.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 12:39 AM

How old is he?
    Haw long have you had him?

A lot of dogs pee when they are nervous or think they are in trouble.

If you have owned him for a long time has anything traumatic happened to him recently?
    maredwards850 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 12:47 AM
    He's one. I've had him for about a year and a half now and nothing has happened, this behavior has came out of no where. We moved about four months ago t o a new apartment but he has made a really good adjustment this is something that has started the last three weeks or so.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 12:54 AM

Strange, perhaps something happened when you were not home one day that has scared him.

In any case what you need to do is basically practice approaching him.

Start by getting some of his favourite treat and calling him to you.
    Crouch down on the floor so you seem less imposing.

Once he realises that he is not in trouble and that he gets rewarded for coming to you he should be a lot better.

Once he is OK with that you can progress to standing up and calling him over.
    Always reward him with a treat.

Finally you can start going up to him and bending over to pet him, again, give him a treat.

It might take a while but it should help him overcome it.

A lot of the time they don't even realise they are urinating until after it has happened, it is uncontrollable due to their nerves.

A vet check is always worth doing as well in case there is something like a urinary infection that would be making the problem worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do girls like being approached [ 12 Answers ]

Hi dudes.. How can I approach girls without seeming creepy? I am an good looking guy of 20 that gets a fair few stares in clubs and around places.. how do girls want to be approached? Is there any kind of technique that works?

Approached by a random person [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14 and a couple of months ago I was told by a random person on my way to school and she told me that I should really consider modeling, all I say was are you kidding? I'm not "stick thin" and she was like no as a plus size model but she seemed really serious about it. But just my luck she...

View more questions Search