Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techknox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 08:22 AM
    cathedral ceilings in a ranch
    I just bought my grandmothers 1960 ranch. I would like to install a cathedral ceiling in the living room area, is this possible for a Do it yourselfer? It has bolted 2x6 W truss roof I am looking to do approx 15 foot wide section. Would a wall out of 2x4's for the sheet rock at the center beam be enough to take the load?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 1, 2006, 06:47 AM
    You should not alter roof trusses w/o approval from an structural engineer.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 07:42 AM
    That would be a major project. You can't just remove the pieces that are in the way. I am not sure how cathedral ceilings are supported, but I don't think it is by 2x4's supported by a couple of 2x6's. Go to one of the home centers and check their books on building houses. They may even be able to make a plan on a computer. You need to look at how a cathedral ceiling is built from scratch. Then remove all you have, and replace it with what would have been used originally. There may not be room between the existing side wall and roof for the support you will need for the roof. Think about replacing the 2x6's with 4x6's and leaving them exposed for a dramatic effect.

When you have a plan that you think will work and you can manage, submit your plans, and apply for a building permit. Planning departments are conservative. If they approve your plans, chances are it will be safe.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 08:06 PM
    As skiberger said, hire an structueral engineer. Some houses were not built for that kind of weight bearing down on the walls.

If you have a big roof, the weight of the a frame can push out on the exterior walls, causing the house to buldge, and possible collapse in on itself.

I would imagine you could achieve this if you left the ceiling joist in place, and just removed the drywall ceiling, then drywalled the upper part of the roof. I won't say this will look very nice, but maybe if your open minded, you can at least paint the joist, put some fake vines or something over them. Could look nice I suppose.

Also bear in mind that this will cause you heating and cooling bill to increase as your system has to work harder to heat/cool the extra cubic feet. Your system might not even be equipped to handle it.

All things to consider.

When you have a plan that you think will work and you can manage, submit your plans, and apply for a building permit. Planning departments are conservative. If they approve your plans, chances are it will be safe.
    You can't go wrong with the above quoted advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding A Second Floor To A Large Ranch [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I hope your day is going well and thank you in advance for helping me. My brother passed away and my mother really needs me around so we came up with an idea of adding a second floor to the family home. It's an oversized ranch. It's fairly large to begin with but I can't exactly start...

View more questions Search