Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loucline2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Adjust valves on Briggs & Stratton OHV 15.5hp
    I have a 15.5hp Briggs & Stratton lawn tractor. It has an habit of backfiring when you shut it off after popwering down. It did this last Sunday while mowing and it will not start now. I looked at the valves, it has overhead valves & the exhaust valve is very loose. How do I adjust? Thanks! :confused:
    shorey01 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Go to Home - Briggs & Stratton
    Click on maint. And repair .
    On next page click on cust. Support and FAQ
    On next page click on view more answers which is located under picture of engine.
    On next page type in keyword such as VALVES in the search box.
    Just about any info. On Briggs and Stratton engines can be found this way.
    aminc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
    If you mean that the ex rocker clearance is very loose, more then can result from typical wear then the exhaust seat has problably fallen out as did on my 15.5hp. When seat falls out it holds valve down into cylinder and results in excessive rocker clearance. Mine ran good for 1-2 years and have had nothing but one problem after another since. Am now looking for replacement engine. Heard honda has a 13.3hp that will fit exact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I adjust valves on a 15.5 briggs and stratton lawnmower [ 5 Answers ]

Hi we need help with trying to set the vavles in our riding lawnmower. We have a 15.5 briggs and stratton thank you

How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton [ 13 Answers ]

I would like to know who to adjust the valves on a 16.5 briggs & stratton ohv engine.

Adjust valves on 14.5 Briggs and Statton Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 hp OHV I/C quiet engine.

How to adjust governor on older 8HP Briggs and Stratton mower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I had to dismantle two engines to make one. Have forgotten how to adjust governor. I have fully closed buttefly in carby, and turned governor actuating lever fully anti-clockwise before re-tightening clamp on governor arm. Is this right or wrong?

View more questions Search