Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgodbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Craftsman riding mower blows fuses
    Hi.
    I have a craftsman rider that is about 9yrs old and this year it keeps blowing fuses
    Every time I go to start it. Can you please help.
    Thank you.
    tgodbee
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 10:44 PM

Aside from having an exposed hot wire being grounded and not being there to chase all the wires down, it sounds like the ignition switch itself is grounding out art the switch.

Pull switch and inspect for melting in the back of it or a wire that looks like it got hot going into it..
    mekos Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 10:14 AM

Ok great I will give it a look, I should have added that it takes 15 to 20 seconds to blow this fuse.

Jul 19, 2009, 10:15 AM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Aside from having an exposed hot wire being grounded and not being there to chase all the wires down, it sounds like the ignition switch itself is grounding out art the switch.

Pull switch and inspect for melting in the back of it or a wire that looks like it got hot going into it..

Very good!!

Jul 19, 2009, 10:42 AM

Check the cigeratte lighter, it may be shorting to ground.
    lisa1968 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 02:15 PM

I now have same troubles, just put new ignition switch in and battery, now tis blowing fuses, switch appears to be in all the way.. what was your problem maybe you can help me
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 09:50 PM

Hi,
    It is a short in the positive side of the battery connections on the other side of the fuse than the battery is on.
    To illustrate, a short before it reaches the fuse would have no effect on it. It has to be after in the circuit or it would have no result.
    Model numbers are always a help since I read schematics (and many other things) just the same as others read novels (which I have little time for.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    lisa1968 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

Took to shop, they checked it, no problem found in any wires as of now, yet put a 30?amp fuse in it. Gone run it tomorrow, will email u model and all tomorrow. They found nothing wrong with it, but me and you will see... thks lisa
    jdc175 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Same prob but mine wd blow as soon as I turn the key on. So I disconnected the regulator and put a 15 amp fuse in. voltage seem OK but eventually I will need to charge. I have a bat tender and quick disconnect.
    Alettae613 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
    We have a Sears Craftsman riding Lawn mower and I need to know where the fuse is
    milesm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
    On Craftsman riding mower open the front cover and on the right hand side of the inside of the dash the fuse is tucked under a little cover about where the top and side of the dash meet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

How do I change the mower belt on a Craftsman LT2000 Riding Mower? [ 1 Answers ]

My belt broke that operates the mower blades... How do I remove the cutting deck and replace the belt?

Craftsman riding lawn mower blows fuses [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 03 Craftsman 15.5 hp riding lawn mower. The 30amp fuse between the solenoid and ignition switch keeps blowing when I try to start it. I changed the solenoid and the fuse. My battery was low so I used an extra car battery to jump it. I turned the key and heard the fuse pop. I suspect the...

Riding mower keeps blowing fuses. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadet LT1024 riding mower that keeps blowing the fuse. As soon as I turn the key it blows the fuse. I replaced the fuse and it smoked from under the flywheel and then blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse and unpluged the 2 wires that go up under the flywheel and turned the key on and it...

View more questions Search