Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolf1601 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Water softener beads in pipes
    My water softener is shot,I will be replacing it,and have it bypassed at this time.I found the problem by finding rust and little balls in my water one morning.I didn't know at that time what it was,and I ran water until I had no more balls or rust.I still have a few faucets,washer,that I have not done this to.I now know it was probably not smart to do this.how can I clear out the remaining lines,and,what type of damage,if any,may I have already done?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 03:50 PM

Those are resin beads from the gutts of the softener. Shut of the fuel to your water heater, connect a hose to the drain spigot and flush the tank for several minutes. Remove all aerators and shower heads and open the faucets until clear.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 03:56 PM

Don't worry, you haven't done any long term damage. Just do as Bob says and you will be just fine. Worst case senario,, a faucet cartridge may become plugged, in which case you will have to remove cartridge, flush faucet with cartride out, clean cartridge and reinstall. These are all fairly easy do it yourself fixes. So, like I already said, just do as Bob says and let us know if you have any further problems. Take care, Lee.
    wolf1601 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Bob and Lee... THANK YOU BOTH VERY MUCH! I feel much better about evry thing now.was really afraid I did long term damage.Again,I can't that you both enough for the info.
    Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 04:10 PM

No problem, anytime. Lee
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 04:53 PM

MGD and I like to help when we can. If you do get clogged facuets just come back here and we'll walk you through a few steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener resin clogging water supply lines [ 1 Answers ]

We have a water softener that has a resin filter that has broken numerous times due to surges in water pressure. This time we didn't realize it had broken in time to bypass the softener and avoid getting resin in the lines again. We've already flushed the resin out of the 2 toilets and 2 sinks...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Salt from water softener contaminated hot water pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Since I could not lift bags of salt to fill the container of my water softener, I just unplugged the softener instead of turning off the main valve; therefore, apparently the water continued to flow through the remaining salt until it was gone. In the last year, I have been through two brand new...

Rainsoft Water Softener - Salt tank not filling with water? [ 1 Answers ]

Put a bag of salt in my softener today and it appeared to be way over the brine level. Checked on it a few hours later and still had dry pellets on top. Manually regenerated the system - no fill. Letting it go through its cycle now, but wondering if there's something I'm overlooking. There's...

Fixtures Clogged with Softener Beads [ 1 Answers ]

We've had a similar experience this weekend. All of our faucets, toilets and shower heads were clogged with what looked like rusty synthetic fish eggs. Because it affected our cold water pipes as well as the hot water ones, we ruled out the hot water heater. The water was clear through the value...

View more questions Search