Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bfpace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 09:12 PM
    MTD yard Machine won't start, why can't jump start
    I have a 600 series yard machine and a couple of weeks back when I turned the key to start it, it acted like the battery was dead. I jumped it off from my car with no problem. I had planned to charge the battery but forgot.

The next week when I went to mow the yard, again it acted like a dead battery but this time when I jumped it from my car,connecting to the battery terminals, it acted like there was a dead short, nothing happened. I found that if I connected the positive cable to the started motor then after turning the key on and touching the negative lead to a grounded part of the chasis, the starter turned over and the motor started and ran perfectly. I disconnected cables from battery & connected jumper cables directly to battery cables. Still dead. No response.

Can someone tell me what is wrong and needs to be changed?
    Thanks
    Ben P.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 02:03 AM

This will likely be way over your head: Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 4

What you need to do is to purchase a hydrometer at an auto store and measure the specific gravity of the cells and look at the relative differences.

That test will likely tell you that the battery is bad.

In order to develop high starting current, the plates in the electrolyte have to be close together. Low electrolyte levels or deep discharge will cause whiskers or shorts to develop across the plates. The battery must be kept charged with a trickle charger over the winter if you expect any battery life at all.

Putting the cable on the chassis is the correct way to jump. In fact it should be the last connection made. This lowers the resistance of the circuit containing the starter.

Follow the safety precautions and test the battery. I'll bet the battery has been abused.

Deep cycle batteries are not typically used for this application. They have a wider plate separation and therefore deliver a lower maximum current. Because of the large plate separation, they can be heavily discharged without damage.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 10:53 AM

Hi,
    What you should know is you have what appears to be a bad battery, you have a functional engine, your switch ignition ground works, you have a bad switch in the safety circuit.
    What cannot know yet is the health of the charging circuit, the health of the solenoid, ignition switch (other circuits) and safety switches.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Yard machine tries to start with key off [ 1 Answers ]

MTD lawn mower, with the key in the off position tries to start. The motor turns over. I disconnected the key swith, and tried to put the cables back on the battery but it begins to spark and the motor tries to turn over. Would the solenoid be bad? If so, with a meter how can I tell if it's bad....

Yard Machine won't start after transporting it! [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My Yard Machine 12.5 HP tractor always started without a problem. In fact, it has a new battery and a new starter. I put it on my truck and moved it to a new location and now it won't start or turn over! Any suggestions. Also, the owner's manual says I should check the fuse. ...

Yard Machine 12.5 B&S will not start [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. First, sorry for my English. I need some help for my Yard Machine 1 year old with 12.5 hp B&S engine cut mower that has been parked in my garage for over 6 months. Last season It ran very well, but this season It wouldn't start after refilling the new gas that I just bought from...

Yard Machine 12.5 B&S will not start [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone. First, sorry for my English. I need some help for my Yard Machine 1 year old with 12.5 hp B&S engine cut mower that has been parked in my garage for over 6 months. Last season It ran very well, but this season It wouldn't start after refilling the new gas that I just bought from...

Yard Machine chipper won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have owned a Yard Machine Chipper/shredder by MTD, 5.5hp for several years. It has always been difficult to start. We have done the expected maintenance, but doesn't seem to help. Anyone out there with a real clue? Bad owners or bad machine??

View more questions Search