Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curliejones Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Generator output - Combining two 120V receptacles to make 240V
    I have a generator that is used for emergency power. I would like to know if it is reasonably safe to plug into the two 125V outlets, each rated at 20A and combine them into a 240V, 20A circuit to run my water well. I have previously used a long heavy-duty extension cord 12-2 w gr and plugged into the L14-30 generator output. That will soon be hooked to a transfer switch to run other circuits in the house. Since the generator transfer switch is sized to match that 30A outlet, I feel I could get more out of the 5550 gen set by leaving the water well to run on a cord. The well is usually run twice a day for an hour each time for showers, building the pressure back up in the system, and catching water for drinking, flushing, etc. Since the gen set is capable of much more than 30A, I'd like to hook the well up "as needed" through an extension cord, as previously done.

My idea is to wire two male plugs from the generator receptacles to an air conditioner disconnect rated for at least 20A at 240V, thus providing a means to assure both hot legs are activated simultaneously. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:37 AM

They would need to be on opposite phases.
    I can't tell you where in the code it is not allowed, but it shouldn't.
    If 1 cord came unplugged, the plugs prong would be live and be a shock hazzard, resulting in Injury and/or death, not to mention a Lawsuit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 08:04 AM

Is the 5550 watts the running wattage or the surge output? You should have a 240 outlet. That's probably what you would connect the transfer switch to and probably the max you are going to get out of the generator.
    curliejones Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Is the 5550 watts the running wattage or the surge output? You should have a 240 outlet. That's probably what you would connect the transfer switch to and probably the max you are going to get out of the generator.
    5550 is running with 8700 surge watts. The transfer switch will hook up to it through the 30A plug. Realizing the 1st response was correct in that one unplugged connection is dangerous, I'll settle for having just 4 circuits available in addition to the water well.
    Thanks, curlie.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Your much better off using the transfer switch for all connections... then if you feel that you want to shut off the pump, just switch off the breaker. Most transfer switches rated @ 30 amp 240 volts have 6 or 8 breaker spaces... (some have ten). This eliminates all but the twist in cord to the transfer switch.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 11:51 PM

Why don't you just install the correct plug on the generator. Use a box and a weatherproof cover which allows a cord to be used when plugged in at a wet location.

I don't know what kind of wiring options you might have. A crd connector and heat shrink could strain relief the wires entering thr box. Typical SO cord won't hold up because of the insulation of the inner conductors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

120V or 240V for heaters? [ 6 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for seeming daft :confused: , but I am still missing the 120V vs. 240V issue for small appliances such as room heaters. There seems to be an advantage of 240 V only when you may be pushing your circuit; I gather one can put twice as much wattage (e.g. heaters) on a 20A...

240v to 120v [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240 volt breaker box, need to put 20amp breaker for 120v in it. How do I put a breaker in & get 120v. If I single phase it, I only get 94 volts

120v to 240v [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! If anybody could help me with this it would be great. I'm looking at buying a festool saw from america which runs on 120v but tools and electrical equipment in austraila run on 240v. Is there anything I can do to make it work and if so is it going to be a hassle??

240V/20Amp to 2(120V/?Amp) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 240V line with max load 20Amp. If I split each of the hot 120V leg sharing the neutral and ground to 2 individual 120V outlet/receptacle, what would the max amp load of each? Does it sill maintain 20Amp? Or reduce by 1/2? Is there a formula to this? Thanks.

View more questions Search