Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snbrownie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Picture diagram of double sink plumbing with garbage disposal
    I would like a picture diagram of an efficient twin sink basin and garbage disposal. My garbage disposal seems to backup with an average load. I have two traps joined to wall drain.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
    This pic I gave is the best way to hook up a double compartment kitchen sink with garbage disposal. But the two trap system will work just fine too. I think you may want to take apart disposal trap and inspect it , as well as the disposal itself. Please let me know what you find.
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 05:48 PM

Mygirlsdad,

Gave a good picture, I will add the Images below too, one is with two traps and one is with one trap, both works, if your garbage disposal backup do as Mygirlsdad says, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:00 PM

Can you post photo of your drains ? We would like to see your present hook up... Thanks.. Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
    In our new construction we use a wye coming off the stunout and one trap for the disposal and the other for the sink. This seems to be the set-up that you have.
    My garbage disposal seems to backup with an average load.
    Tell me more! Where does it back up out of? The other sink or the disposal itself?
    As Milo asked, "Can you post a picture?" Regards, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2012, 02:21 PM
    None
    rrenter1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 08:24 AM
    I have a double sink with disposal and extra line coming in from my outside sink made of clear plastic tubing? Can you show me a diagram for plumbing this?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Hi menter and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    Don't need a diagram for this one, The hookup should go like this.
    Replace the tailpiece coming out of the drain with a branch tailpiece, (see image) and connect the outside sink to that.
    NOTE, If the outside sinks trapped remove it. The outside sink will be trapped by the one under the branch tailpiece and it's against code to double trap a fixture, Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

pat51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
    Mine backs up out of the other sink.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Pat, if sink backs up to the other sink, it means your common drain is clogged. It can be directly under the sink or it can be further down the line, inside the wall our under the floor. You will have to remove trap, clean it and snake your drain. You can use 1/4" or 3/8" snake to do so. You can rent one from Home Depot - or call drain cleaning contractor to do it for you. It is a routine service call and should not be expensive. Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
    It is better to have the garbage disposer draining separate like it is with the two traps,because the flow gets to the bigger drain pipe sooner than if it went by way of the sink drain which is only one and a half inch As milo says snake the drain for a blockage further beyond the traps.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2013, 09:47 AM
    Hi Pat and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com. You're responding to a 4 year old dead threads so I gave you one of your own. Please check the date before you post. Thanks
    Good advice by Milo. Send your stake up into the wall and it only has to go 6 foot. Good luck Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage disposal in single-drain sink [ 8 Answers ]

Can I have a single-drain sink and still use a garbage disposal?

Need a diagram of plumbing under a double sink in my kitchen. [ 7 Answers ]

My sink was clogged up (It gets clogged every 4 or 5 years) and I took all the PVC pipes apart under the sink and cleaned them out good. However, I had to go handle a kid emergency and when I came back I can't seem to put the parts back together correctly. I haved searched the internet all day. ...

Double kitchen sink w/garbage disposal and dishwasher [ 4 Answers ]

Installed new counter and sink several years ago. Problem is that when I put the stopper in one side and fill with water the garbage disposal side drains VERY slow. The never was an air gap installed. It drains into the garbage disposal.. no problem there. The sink is deeper than the old one....

Small leak between garbage disposal and sink [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed a little water in the cabinet under my sink. Finally figured it leaks a little where the garbage disposal connects to the bottom of the sink. Can I expect to just pull the disposal and replace a rubber washer or something or will I need anything else to take care of this? Any...

Garbage disposal side of the sink won't drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly the side of my kitchen sink that contains the garbage disposal won't drain. The garbage disposal is empty, it seems to work just fine and the other side of the sink drains beautifully. Plunging doesn't work because of the dishwasher run-off vent. Am I safe in assuming that the clog...

View more questions Search