Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Celeste68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Child Support and Age Limit
    Hello,
    My husband supports his 15 year old son who lives in Texas. The order was originally issued in New York, but now both parents live in different states (his ex-wife and son in TX, and us in CT). Recently, my husband lost his job, so we have initiated the process to modify the order (the unemployment alone won't cover the monthly payment and I had to take a second job to help with it). We had to do the whole thing in TX because that's were my stepson resides. In TX, the age limit to receive support is 18 (NYS is 21). My question is - in the process of decreasing the amount of money we pay every month - can we also attempt to modify the age limit now that my stepson and mother live in TX? Or does the modification INEVITABLY follow the original determination (21)?
    Thanks so much.
    Celeste
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 07:25 PM

You will have to ask for the age to be changed in your request for modification. The original order is still in force ( and only modified by what charges are requested)
    ziggy09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
    In most states the age is 18, but sometimes you will be required to pay till the child is out of school and that includes college
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:51 AM

I'm going with Fr. Chuck here. The only thing that can be modified is what is requested to be modified. Your husband can also request the age to be changed and that will be up to the judge to decide as well. Ziggy does have a point that some states are willing to allow paying through college as well (if the child is a full time student and living at home). So while he can ask that it be lowered keep in mind that the college clause may also be added to the order if the age thing is touched. (I'm not saying it will just keep it in the back of your mind that it's possible)
    Celeste68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone for answering!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

In Canada is there a time limit on filing for child support? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend that has been separated from his partner for 17 years. They were never legally married and were together for 10 years previous to the split. They had a child who is now 20 (there was never any doubt that he was the father). Throughout the years he has paid for clothing,...

Child age limit laws [ 2 Answers ]

How old does a child need to be in order to stop sharing a room with their mom?

Child support age limit in Indiana [ 6 Answers ]

In the state of Indiana does child support continue until 21 only if they continue education or does it continue even if they have moved out on their own and have their own job and if so, who gets the child support? Does the mother/father continue getting this even if the child no longer depends...

Time limit constitutes child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

What time limit constitutes child abandonment in the state of wa? What is the procedure for filing child abandoment and where do I get the correct forms?

View more questions Search