Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksgill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 06:43 PM
    How far the router should be from modem
    I am trying to run network cat6 cables in my house. I want to install the router on the second floor and my modem is on in the basement. The WAN cable from modem to router will be about 100 feet. Would this cause any problem? Will the long cable effect the speed download or upload speed.

Thanks
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 07:06 PM

With all types of cabling they each have there specs... it depends on what kind of cable...

U said cat6 so I'm assuming it's a UTP Cable which I believe has a max length at 185 ft.

The longer the cable the more apt to attenuation u are, attenuation is the act of the signals losing its strength before it reaches the end of the cable.

If I'm correct about the cable and distance then u should be fine with the 100ft cable.

Others will correct me if Im wrong!

Rick

P.S. Why don't you just hook it up and test it!
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 07:09 PM
    I just looked it up and for a UTP Cat 6 cable the max length is 100m which is roughly 330 ft, not the 185 I said before!

Rick
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 09:14 PM

Modem should be close to the point of entry. If a DSL modem then a splitter in the NID should be used.

If there is a wireless access point (e.g. wireless router) it should be centrally installed in the house.

In reality all cabeling (telephone, ethernet, coax) should centrally terminate somewhere and at the same location.

So, if you have to go modem basement, router in middle of house because of wireless AP and then to switch in basement, that's a better choice.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 3, 2009, 06:48 AM

Just to add one more thing... the reason you want to get your modem as close to where it enters the house is because you have to consider the lengh of the coax from there to where they terminate it at the box so you do not what to extend that too much further if you do not have to. Unless this is a really big house, you should not have any problems with your CAT6 runs from that point on.

Mine enters the house in the living room next to the TV. The router is also there but I extended my possibilities by running a CAT6 from there to the computer room where I have a switch. That location was also much easier to run wire to for other computer connections.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 08:58 AM

As 100 feet is less than 80 meters that will not be a problem as long as you are using the right cabling for the environment
    ksgill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I just looked it up and for a UTP Cat 6 cable the max length is 100m which is roughly 330 ft, not the 185 I said before!

Rick
    Thanks for your help Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modem router [ 5 Answers ]

Do I need 2 set up modem router on laptop as well as main computer to establish network connection? I want 2 use my laptop wireless connection but main computer is ethernet linked to router

Wireless Router Into Modem [ 2 Answers ]

I searched around, but didn't find anything exactly like this: I have a Thompson DSL modem, but it has a router built into it (4 port - yes, the router and modem are all-in-one). I need wireless in my office, so I have a Network Everywhere (Linksys) 4 port wireless router, but I can't get it to...

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

View more questions Search