Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Godbody999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
    CAN a New Landlord Evict An old tenant if they don't sign a new lease
    I would like to know the Florida state law behind the landlord of my property selling the property to a new owner without notifying the tenants till after the transaction has taken place, now the place has been sold the new landlord gives us the option to either sign a new lease and pay 225 more dollars a month or move before the next months rent is due, if I choose not to sign the new lease how much time by law am I suppose to be given, and if the next month come and I have not found a new place can they just come and change the locks and kick me out, or would they have to evict me.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 12:28 PM

Yes they can tell you to sign the lease or move. They have to go through the formal eviction of giving you a written notice to leave.

I think the three day is if you haven't paid your rent and may be more days for other reasons.

Florida Evictions
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Do you currently have a written lease in effect? If you do then the new owner has to honor it. They can't increase the rent or change any other terms until your old lease has expired.

If you don't have a written lease in effect at the moment then the new owner can require that you sign a new lease and can increase the rent with 30 days notice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 05:11 PM

I was a landlord in Florida and LisaB has given the correct answer to this question. The new landlord must honor the signed lease with the old owner until it expires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict a tenant without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

In Illinois, how do I legally evict my tenant that does not have a lease for non payment of rent?

Landlord rights-tenant will not sign lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Tennessee,and my renter will not sign a lease.What rights do I have?

How to evict a tenant w/o lease as new landlord [ 2 Answers ]

I will close soon a new purchased house in California . An existing tenant has been there for one year, without any lease agreement, never paid rent; The tenant informed me that she will move out upon finding new place, how can I get her out as soon as possible or have her signed up a lease...

Can a landlord tell you to sign an early lease termination or they will evict you? [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out what to do. I asked her why and she said just because she don't want me here was the reply. Then some strange person knocked on my door asking for someone I don't know and I told this person that I didn't know the person they were looking for and closed my door. The next...

How can a landlord evict a tenant with a mental illness going by hear say [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina. I live in an apartment that is owned by mha.nc.gov/hud.nc.org. I'm bipolar, I received an eviction notice on Nov.6,2007. I have to move out on Dec.5,2007, I did appeal it and I have a meeting on Nov.16,2007. The reasons for evictions, are on October 16, I was...

View more questions Search