Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normrefct Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Turn key & get "click" a few times then the car starts
    Hello Car Experts!

Need you expert opinion on this problem I'm having with my 95 Avalon:

When I turn the key it clicks about the first 6 times and finally it starts after that.

What causes this? (Starter, battery cables, Alternator?)

Would appreciate any advice
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 02:54 PM
    1. Battery
    2. Battery and starter solenoid connections
    3. Starter solenoid
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Oct 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
    Check the connections at the battery and starter, make sure they are tight and clean if they check out fine than it is likely a starter solenoid problem, sticking or wearing out.
    normrefct Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by normrefct
    Hello Car Experts!

Need you expert opinion on this problem I'm having with my 95 Avalon:

When I turn the key it clicks about the first 6 times and finally it starts after that.

What causes this? (Starter, battery cables, Alternator?)

Would appreciate any advice
    Thank YOU.

It usually never clicks when the engine is warm either. Does that narrow it down to a starter solenoid?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 26, 2006, 06:10 PM
    If it goes, "click, click, click" real fast and the engine doesn't "turn over", sounds like a starter problem, but if the engine "turn over" and you hear it about to start but sounds sluggish, it's probably a battery about to go bad. Check the age of the battery, if its more than a couple of years old, it might need replacing, take it to a national type auto parts store and let them ck the battery for you.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Oct 26, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Yes, I would suspect it's a solenoid problem. If the starter is over 2 years old I would
    Suggest replacing the starter and the solenoid as a unit not just the solenoid.Remember buy a quality brand part then it will last a good while.
    smshannon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 09:34 PM
    If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can rebuild the solenoid yourself. On the Nippondenso starter on my wife's 98 Accord, the dealer wanted $260 to replace the entire starter. I took the starter out and unscrewed three screws to reveal the plunger and two contacts which were worn. I went to a local rebuild shop and they sold me the plunger and contacts for $10 (ten) dollars. The repair took about one hour, because I was working at dusk. Your problem sounds like the same thing.
    Good luck
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 27, 2006, 10:47 PM
    Most likely it is a starter. Same thing happened to me twice this year and both times, it turned out to be a starter.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 1, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Is the clicking coming from under the dash? You could have a bad ground @ BL of engine causing relay to spaz in and out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows & Firefox: Right Click "Open With" Option [ 5 Answers ]

Been mostly using FF this year but some sites don't play well - and some impossible. I've got shortcuts to these sites on my desktop. I'd really love to "designate" them as IE shortcuts so that they'll open with IE if I click on them. ... but if this is not possible, I'd like to at least...

CD Rom & Burner Drives not listed in "My Computer" [ 8 Answers ]

I am hoping you can help me "reset" my drives. A few days ago I could not use my CD Rom drive nor burner as neither would read a CD. I went into the systems folder in the control panel and disconnected both from the device manger. I did this because there was a yellow icon over each drive and...

View more questions Search